Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duff's Distribution.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He seems to be getting it for not scoring goals and poor distribution.

With the exception of 1 piss poor back pass, Duffy has been plenty good enough at his actual job.

While I'm never usually one for singling anybody out, that is simply just not true.

There have been many other clumsy moments throughout the season which thankfully haven't been punished.

I can even take you back to the first game of the season, a game we lost apparently because of a Stephens error, well I remember quite vividly at 0-0 Duffy laying it off to Aguero for a sitter who uncharacteristically missed the target.

He has issues with concentration, I don't think anybody here can deny that. The worrying thing is it doesn't appear to be getting any better. I haven't even delved into the "head it as far as I can rather than worry about any direction" attitude towards heading the ball, which is all fine when defending set pieces, less so when meeting an opposition GK and handing them possession. Then there is the matter of attacking set pieces, where we all thought the signing of Duffy was going to reap the most rewards. He's not even testing the keeper with free headers, some of them have been criminal.

Out of all our players who I could identify as not having a great first (hopefully) season in the PL, Duffy would be one. That is not to say I don't rate the guy or think he should be ousted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While I'm never usually one for singling anybody out, that is simply just not true.

There have been many other clumsy moments throughout the season which thankfully haven't been punished.

I can even take you back to the first game of the season, a game we lost apparently because of a Stephens error, well I remember quite vividly at 0-0 Duffy laying it off to Aguero for a sitter who uncharacteristically missed the target.

He has issues with concentration, I don't think anybody here can deny that. The worrying thing is it doesn't appear to be getting any better. I haven't even delved into the "head it as far as I can rather than worry about any direction" attitude towards heading the ball, which is all fine when defending set pieces, less so when meeting an opposition GK and handing them possession. Then there is the matter of attacking set pieces, where we all thought the signing of Duffy was going to reap the most rewards. He's not even testing the keeper with free headers, some of them have been criminal.

Out of all our players who I could identify as not having a great first (hopefully) season in the PL, Duffy would be one. That is not to say I don't rate the guy or think he should be ousted.
That is not to say I don't rate the guy or think he should be ousted

Yep definitely the only conclusion that can be reached from reading the rest of your post.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Think you’re being a little harsh, at the start of the season he was a stand out player IMO, along with Dunk.

The second half of the season he has been below par, though some of that is because he is playing with Schelotto who is positionally lacking (again IMO).

The back pass was a disaster, though he hadn’t seemed to let that affect him yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

With the exception of 1 piss poor back pass, Duffy has been plenty good enough at his actual job.

If his sole job is heading a ball upwards and, at times, away, then he’s been fairly good at it. But considering the amount of corners we’ve conceded from, I’d argue not quite good enough.

And there is more to being a CB than just heading a ball away. Duffy tries hard, and he’s a decent lower Prem CB, but he’s not proven at any point this season that he’s more than that. And the amount of times Dunk spends covering for him, and the amount of times he loses the ball, just isn’t quite good enough for the long term, unless he shows improvement.

Although CH has shown he loves the heading high and sometimes away thing that he does. So he’ll keep his place, no matter how poor his form is aside from the heading away element.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
‘Scapegoat’ or not, Duffy’s distribution has been poor for a few months now. Claims to drop him are too harsh however, still one of our better players. Defensive headers won by Duffy are vital. Defending set plays has improved since the WBA game, but back to early season woes verses Palace.

I’m not against giving Goldson a go though, IF we get to play 1/2’games at the end of the season mathematically safe (I doubt this).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Think you’re being a little harsh, at the start of the season he was a stand out player IMO, along with Dunk.

The second half of the season he has been below par, though some of that is because he is playing with Schelotto who is positionally lacking (again IMO).

The back pass was a disaster, though he hadn’t seemed to let that affect him yesterday.

Strange that we went on our best run of the season when Schelotto was brought in to the team. I’d argue the exact opposite to you - I think Schelotto and Dunk spend far too much time covering for Duffy’s poor defensive work.

I also think it’s really hard to argue he’s been a standout player at any point this season, unless you simply go based on stats and the amount of headers he completes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Strange that we went on our best run of the season when Schelotto was brought in to the team. I’d argue the exact opposite to you - I think Schelotto and Dunk spend far too much time covering for Duffy’s poor defensive work.

I also think it’s really hard to argue he’s been a standout player at any point this season, unless you simply go based on stats and the amount of headers he completes.

Schelotto is too far away from Duffy, the majority of the game. You should generally have no more than 5 -10 yards between your CB and RB.

Schelotto as an attacking threat is frequently 15-20 yds away and rarely tucks in, whereas Bruno is borderline perfect in that respect, but offers a lot less offensively.

Out heaviest defeat in terms of goals conceded have been with Schelotto in the team. Chelsea, Liverpool, Bruno came off vs Liverpool and we still let in another 2.

Yesterday he was really poor.

It depends what you want, a steady defence with more leadership or a flamboyant attacking full-back.

For me it’s an area that needs urgent investment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Schelotto is too far away from Duffy, the majority of the game. You should generally have no more than 5 -10 yards between your CB and RB.

Schelotto as an attacking threat is frequently 15-20 yds away and rarely tucks in, whereas Bruno is borderline perfect in that respect, but offers a lot less offensively.

Out heaviest defeat in terms of goals conceded have been with Schelotto in the team. Chelsea, Liverpool, Bruno came off vs Liverpool and we still let in another 2.

Yesterday he was really poor.

It depends what you want, a steady defence with more leadership or a flamboyant attacking full-back.

For me it’s an area that needs urgent investment.

I think that we should bring in Goldson as a 3rd CB to play on Duffys right and play Schelotto as a more attacking wing back. The drawback to that is that Schelottos's crossing of the ball isnt so hot.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that we should bring in Goldson as a 3rd CB to play on Duffys right and play Schelotto as a more attacking wing back. The drawback to that is that Schelottos's crossing of the ball isnt so hot.

I’m not sure now is the time to change formation, but Goldson must be given a chance.

The trouble with three CB’s is the gap between them, Chelsea made a mockery of it.

I guess it would suit Schelotto a lot more as he can get up and down and the tucking in would be less of an issue.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Duff_Beer.png

I blame his drinking habit!
main-qimg-5b4d54b261a33c43ad34174a78a5e112-c.jpeg

Or when he does back passes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If his sole job is heading a ball upwards and, at times, away, then he’s been fairly good at it. But considering the amount of corners we’ve conceded from, I’d argue not quite good enough.

Something that was clearly a tactically error by CH.
An error that since he's changed the system, utilising Duffy, the Albion have looked rock solid at corners.

So solid in fact the only reason palace scored from one yesterday was by taking Duffy out of the equation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Even if all you say is correct ?

The amount of pressure he and Dunk have been under this season, I think his positive matches both him and Dunk totally outweigh all that. They are the best Central defensive pairing in the league ''bar none''

When your under so much pressure there is going to be the odd error. and defenders in every other side make more errors in proportion to the times they are called upon to defend.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Every player has a dip in form, becomes out of sorts, makes a few errors in a short amount games, its the nature of the beast. Glad to have him, lets gGoldson a run out though, its been a long season for Duffy (and thats not saying lets drop him, but no one should be certain of their starting place)

The easiest way to fix this insert name <out> is to have a sub forum off the main board with 25 sticky threads, one for each player so we can slate/praise them to our hearts content and it will be fair for everyone

Its could start at the back
Maty Ryan official thread - too short, doesnt control the penalty area
to
Shane Duffy needs to work on headers in training and pass more like Beckham
to
Dunk who are we going to replace him with when he goes to a top 6 and is England captain
to
Bruno wont play again put him on the coaching staff

Locadia waste of money, does he touch the ball?

The Greyhound - needs a good song

Gross - how do you do that little B symbol in his name, I cant find it on my Omsung

Knockhart Not really a prem player, attitude problem, needs to see a sports psych

Izquerdo I could miss one on ones for a lot less money than he gets paid

Murray, drop him from Palace games and penalties, he should have got 20 goals this season, too old. Should play this W/C mind

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
The last two games against Palarse and Shuddersfield were below par in many areas, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that the team as a unit have performed poorly.

The Leicester home game was fantastic, and if Murray had not had an off-day we wouldn't be analysing Duffy or others so critically today, it's just that we need to perform one more time at a Premier League level to get the job done and many fans are left wondering if we can manage that seeing as we haven't done so over the last two games.

It's the fear of not doing so that is getting to us fans and players alike.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Have we not forgotten his noticeable dip in form pre christmas after playing for Eire. Could it be that whilst others have moved up he has nod improved as much or has stayed static. Body on the line and heading clear is one thing, we're now looking for him to do something with the ball. To be honest his passing has been poor for a while, he gives cause for concern when in posession at the back. Not scapegoating, just an opinion.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Have we not forgotten his noticeable dip in form pre christmas after playing for Eire. Could it be that whilst others have moved up he has nod improved as much or has stayed static. Body on the line and heading clear is one thing, we're now looking for him to do something with the ball. To be honest his passing has been poor for a while, he gives cause for concern when in posession at the back. Not scapegoating, just an opinion.

This

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Every player has a dip in form, becomes out of sorts, makes a few errors in a short amount games, its the nature of the beast. Glad to have him, lets gGoldson a run out though, its been a long season for Duffy (and thats not saying lets drop him, but no one should be certain of their starting place)

The easiest way to fix this insert name <out> is to have a sub forum off the main board with 25 sticky threads, one for each player so we can slate/praise them to our hearts content and it will be fair for everyone

Its could start at the back
Maty Ryan official thread - too short, doesnt control the penalty area
to
Shane Duffy needs to work on headers in training and pass more like Beckham
to
Dunk who are we going to replace him with when he goes to a top 6 and is England captain
to
Bruno wont play again put him on the coaching staff

Locadia waste of money, does he touch the ball?

The Greyhound - needs a good song

Gross - how do you do that little B symbol in his name, I cant find it on my Omsung

Knockhart Not really a prem player, attitude problem, needs to see a sports psych

Izquerdo I could miss one on ones for a lot less money than he gets paid

Murray, drop him from Palace games and penalties, he should have got 20 goals this season, too old. Should play this W/C mind[/QUOTE]

:bowdown::lolol:

(I singled out only one quote - they are all class).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

*cough* could it be perhaps that there may be a bit of a special culture at Irish intrnational fixtures *cough* ?

Irish vitamin drink.jpeg

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Seemingly not scoring a hat-full of goals or setting up a hat-full of goals from the edge of our penalty area.

I think given all the headers he has had in the opposition penalty area. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to score score possibly 2 or 3 goals this season. Which very likely would mean 2 or 3 extra points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here