Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Old Grey Whistle Test to return - BBC4 tonight

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Back in the day Curtis Mayfield sang "Move on Up" and another song that escapes me on the OGWT and they were two of the most uplifting and life-affirming performances I had/have ever seen on tv - pure class.

Which then led me onto

Can't wait for tonight

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Three hour special tonight, Whispering Bob Hosting - there must be some good stuff on there but my memory from the 70's & 80's was usually disappointment on the whole.

They never had the really big Bands (for obvious reasons - why would Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd come and play a live set?) and much of the rest was dross but hopefully some good editing has taken place and we will see Roxy Music and Bob Marley etc..

Much dross?

Maybe its my memory or just my music tastes, but I don't recall much dross. I believe that the threshold of having released an album before being allowed on the show, stopped a lot of dross from getting on the show, and moving that to TOTP.

As for big bands, the The Who were in the OGWT studios, also a lot of the big bands at the time were covered when whispering Bob went to America, where interviews and concert material was shown. Also at the time you couldn't have got much bigger than John Lennon in his recording studio during the recording of the Rock'n' Roll album.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Much dross?

Maybe its my memory or just my music tastes, but I don't recall much dross. I believe that the threshold of having released an album before being allowed on the show, stopped a lot of dross from getting on the show, and moving that to TOTP.

As for big bands, the The Who were in the OGWT studios, also a lot of the big bands at the time were covered when whispering Bob went to America, where interviews and concert material was shown. Also at the time you couldn't have got much bigger than John Lennon in his recording studio during the recording of the Rock'n' Roll album.

You are one my favourite posters re music but got to disagree - perhaps my slightly left field taste comes into play as they were never likely to feature Neu! or Can...

Still going to watch it all while swearing the TV as I did back in day. :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
OGWT was great,but Disco 2 was better with Tommy Vance.The only album I ever bought after a tv performance was on there,Thank Christ for the Bomb by the Groundhogs :smokin::rock:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Steve Hillage stands out for me as I'd never heard of him before and ended up seeing him in concert at the Dome a few weeks later. Another stand out memory was a Whistle Test special which wasn't recorded in the studio but was a whole programme dedicated to a showing of a concert of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review recorded in Colorado. It was shown on 28th September 1976 and kicked off that year's OGWT series.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/33d4f1bbe3e84eb191986082927b8570

Just found the BBC2 tv listing for that day. Started with Open University ( probably presented by a Bob Harris lookalike as it often was in those days with OGWT starting at 23.10
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1976-09-28

Much as I loved OGWT, I draw the line at Steve Hillage[emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are one my favourite posters re music but got to disagree - perhaps my slightly left field taste comes into play as they were never likely to feature Neu! or Can...

Still going to watch it all while swearing the TV as I did back in day. :thumbsup:
It's all down to personal taste really, isn't it? Some people would consider the likes of Neu! and Can to be the dross the other poster was talking about!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Looking forward to this. Although in the seventies remembering sitting through loads of old dross and remembering only a few good bands. Can’t believe Bob Harris is only 71. He was in his late twenties when I watched it. :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Loved it when they played a record along with ancient cartoons - Betty Boop and that. Zappa, Led Zep... Watched in early 70s. Harris let himself down, later, sneering at the New York Dolls - a cracking band. Stand out peformances for me were Little Feat, Tom Petty, Alex Harvey, Gil Scott Heron, Beefhart....mmmm.....nice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looking forward to this. Although in the seventies remembering sitting through loads of old dross and remembering only a few good bands. Can’t believe Bob Harris is only 71. He was in his late twenties when I watched it. :)

It covered so many tastes that it’s hard for most not to consider some of it as dross. As an example I know Gary Numan gets lots of love, to me he absolute shit and unwatchable. One man’s meat and all that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

'Can' did the OGWT. Hoger in white gloves. Dizzy Dizzy I think it was punk: Holger Czukay r.i.p.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here