Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Don't ban me from driving because....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It most cases this is correct.
S144A(1) requires a motor vehicle registered under the Motor Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994.

If the motor vehicle is registered under the Act (is it has a licence plate) then to be exempt from insurance requirements it must have SORN in place. There are a number if other exemptions for Army vehicles etc which are not relevant.
Still not quite right given what we're discussing. A standard road going car needs to be insured by someone, but someone who isn't insured for it can still drive it on private property.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
"She would have to make some lifestyle changes to go about her day-to-day life."

Paolos No1 Executive Taxi Co.
Address: 14 Chapel Croft, Macclesfield SK11 9SU
Phone: 01625 861098

:shrug:

D

Deleted User X18H

It most cases this is correct.
S144A(1) requires a motor vehicle registered under the Motor Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994.

If the motor vehicle is registered under the Act (is it has a licence plate) then to be exempt from insurance requirements it must have SORN in place. There are a number if other exemptions for Army vehicles etc which are not relevant.

If the motor vehicle is not registered under the Motor Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 then it does not need compulsory insurance providing that it is not being used on a road or other public place.
This - a quad bike would fall into this category

D

Deleted User X18H

Still not quite right given what we're discussing. A standard road going car needs to be insured by someone, but someone who isn't insured for it can still drive it on private property.

No - I don’t agree and if I were assessing a claim against someone who had incurred an injury by a third party who was uninsured I would subrogate against the uninsured individual and report them for the offence.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No - I don’t agree and if I were assessing a claim against someone who had incurred an injury by a third party who was uninsured I would subrogate against the uninsured individual and report them for the offence.

What offence? if they are riding or driving a private vehicle in there own grounds/ woodlands that is not accessible to the general public they don't need insurance.

D

Deleted User X18H

What offence? if they are riding or driving a private vehicle in there own grounds/ woodlands that is not accessible to the general public they don't need insurance.

I contend that they do refer 2015 insurance reform act

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I contend that they do refer 2015 insurance reform act

Oh dear you post something that is close to the correct position then immediately fall back into posting utter rubbish which Is just wrong.

Given that the Insurance Reform Act 2015 is concerned with fair presentation of risk for commercial insurance and the remedies available to Insurers if the policyholder falls to so. All of which is updating the Marine Insurance Act 1906 by removing the harsh remedies for non disclosure or breach of warranty.

What has this to do with compulsory motor insurance.

As you seem to be a legal expert given your posts on this thread perhaps you can enlighten us to where within this legislation it references compulsory motor insurance.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

What offence ? A driver needs to be insured to drive a vehicle on a road or other public place. If they do not have it, they are guilty of an offence. They do not need it on private land. In these circumstances, ownership of the vehicle is irrelevant.
If a vehicle has been registered then it needs to be taxed and insured unless SORNed, when it may be kept and used on private land with, or without insurance.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm surprised that she's even got a licence to drive - didn't her husband do that for her too ?
She'll just have to get a chauffeur - I'm sure she'll be able to afford it

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

OMG how ignorant are you?

For public road use, a driver/rider must have a) appropriate licence, b) third-party insurance, & c) Paid excise duty [road-tax]

For off-road [private land] anything goes [with the land owners permission]. For example, the drivers & riders of cars & bikes that go round Brands Hatch [being on private land] do not need a DVLA licence, Insurance companies don't provide cover for competition use and no road tax [or SORN] is required.

Likewise for someone who lives on a privately owned farm - e.g. their 6-year old can ride a quad bike on their private farmland and will have no DVLA license and no insurance. The bike itself may be road-legal and registered [perhaps to Dad] but the 6-year-old won't be covered by the insurance.

If the 6-year-old has an accident and caused injury or damage to a 3rd party [on private land], this would be a tort [civil case] not a crime [CPS case].

Can you now concede that you initial comment is incorrect?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here