Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whisky in the freezer

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Dalwhinnie's Winter Gold - just got my bottle out of the freezer after 2 hours, got to say it's different and rather nice.

Not sure I trust leaving in the freezer permanently though!

well ....it won't freeze coz it's a spirit ......i usually have my whiskey with a 3rd water (bottled) and an ice block or two .......i find the water extends and deepens the flavour so you get the feeling you are almost sitting in the malting shed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. In my opinion watering down good whisky is sacrilege.

Well, I've been to a few distilleries and it is certainly not sacrilege. Good whisky is so varied, hard to say every single one has to be consumed the same, always worth keeping an open mind. I have a Penderyn on the go that does benefit from a tiny splash of water and was presented as such at the distillery, and really does release more flavour, whereas my Glengoyne doesn't and is much better neat.

Now, adding ice on the other hand...:nono:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Malt whisky is to be savoured neat. Any other way is sacrilege.

It's all a personal thing of course, but with respect I have been to The Highlands several times, which I love, and have been to quite a few Whisky tastings, without fail they have said that malt whisky should have just a little water in it to truly release the flavours.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's all a personal thing of course, but with respect I have been to The Highlands several times, which I love, and have been to quite a few Whisky tastings, without fail they have said that malt whisky should have just a little water in it to truly release the flavours.

Fair enough - it's one of those arguments that will go on for time immemorial!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've done the fridge for some very light speysides that benefited from being slightly colder but were markedly watered down with water or ice. Wouldn't have the fridge or freezer space for my full collection though - usually about 20 bottles on the go, none massively dear however.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its just a giant ice lolly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here