Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would be interested to know how people find the time to put in enough training and juggle work and family commitments?

I love running and particularly on trails and used to run competitively as a youth but I now have 2 children under 5 and my Wife and I have just started a business. My running is therefore really sporadic and sometimes I don't seem to be able to go for weeks on end. Evenings and weekends are spent either in the business or looking after the kids.

Does anyone else have a similar challenge and how do you get around it?

I do project work which is very cyclical. Before Christmas I was "on the bench" and spent most of my days on here. Now I have TWO new assignments and am working long hours though, luckily for me, mostly from home. At weekends we have an Amex season ticket and I coach my son so lots of time wiped out by football. I then have to make sure I spend some time with my daughter so that's Sunday afternoon gone.

I run early or late or in my lunch hour. Like [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] a later than normal start for me this morning (which is why I bumped in to him, I left from the other direction at 6.50 am) but that was a lie in. Next week with a match on Sunday morning I will be leaving at more like 5.30 - 6. I've also left the house at 9 at night for a run before now but I don't get on with it that late very well.

Mid week maintenance runs either start at 6 or get fitted in to an extended lunch hour and I work late.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm still struggling my left foot, I think I've bruised a tendon or something, so nothing major and just needs rest.

Easier said than done!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I started even later because junior wanted a run-out as his football was postponed and no way I can get him up early. Recovered a bit from yesterdays crap run and did a nice easy 5m with junior straight into 10m alone aiming for 8 min miles. Pretty much nailed it for once and even picked the nice 2 hour weather window......

https://www.strava.com/activities/467203831

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I do project work which is very cyclical. Before Christmas I was "on the bench" and spent most of my days on here. Now I have TWO new assignments and am working long hours though, luckily for me, mostly from home. At weekends we have an Amex season ticket and I coach my son so lots of time wiped out by football. I then have to make sure I spend some time with my daughter so that's Sunday afternoon gone.

I run early or late or in my lunch hour. Like [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] a later than normal start for me this morning (which is why I bumped in to him, I left from the other direction at 6.50 am) but that was a lie in. Next week with a match on Sunday morning I will be leaving at more like 5.30 - 6. I've also left the house at 9 at night for a run before now but I don't get on with it that late very well.

Mid week maintenance runs either start at 6 or get fitted in to an extended lunch hour and I work late.

Thats commitment!

So for the early risers are you getting to bed really early the night before? My kids have a habit of getting up 6-6.30 (and sometimes during the night) so would need to be up and out of the door well before that and getting enough sleep is important for recovery as well. Also at that time in the early morning and with late evening runs are you using a head torch at this time of the year?

I thought about running in my lunch but I don't have access to a shower. Shame as my office is right at the foot of the south downs!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thats commitment!

So for the early risers are you getting to bed really early the night before? My kids have a habit of getting up 6-6.30 (and sometimes during the night) so would need to be up and out of the door well before that and getting enough sleep is important for recovery as well. Also at that time in the early morning and with late evening runs are you using a head torch at this time of the year?

I thought about running in my lunch but I don't have access to a shower. Shame as my office is right at the foot of the south downs!

Shame about the lack of shower as that would have been perfect.

I don't use a headtorch because I stick to main roads and the seafront. Obviously would if I was running off road as most runs at this time of year are done in the dark. I'm always in bed by 10 if I have an early run or if I'm tired, though tonight I'm going to try to stay up a bit later to catch some of the second NFL Wildcard game. My kids are a bit older (9 and 5). When they were younger I did no exercise at all. I would sometimes get less than 4 hours sleep and was in London working a lot more. When my youngest started Nursery and I got to work from home more was when I resolved to lose my weight and get doing sport again. I've built my run schedule round that really.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would be interested to know how people find the time to put in enough training and juggle work and family commitments?

I love running and particularly on trails and used to run competitively as a youth but I now have 2 children under 5 and my Wife and I have just started a business. My running is therefore really sporadic and sometimes I don't seem to be able to go for weeks on end. Evenings and weekends are spent either in the business or looking after the kids.

I'm busy at work and have a 16 month old child who is a nightmare with sleep. I'm more of a night owl so a run at 8 or 9 at night is more enjoyable for me than 5:30 but I'll do whatever it takes to get out.

I run between 2/3 times per week. A hill session Tuesday night and a long run at the weekend. If I can squeeze in a Park Run then that's a good week. I looked back over my stats for last year and I was pretty consistent hitting around 65 miles per month.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Luckily i have a very understanding wife and kids! Finding the time with 2 kids 7 & 4 and new born is really hard but i get really grouchy if i dont run so i try to get out, even if its just a few miles a day. Also my work is a good 10 mile runnable commute or in the summer 17 miles across the the south downs..so i try and incorportate running with work as much as i can.. It certainly is a challenge!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Good pace, have you got any races planned over the next couple of months?

Cheers. Yes only 2 so far, but 2 very different races. Steyning Stinger which im mainly using as miles/training for London. Not as many races as in the past as have a new baby to contend with! Bit of a low key 2016. Though i im looking to do some 10ks and halfs. Maybe Barns Green.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No work, no kids and a wife who wants me out the house. Still hard to get motivated for the mileage outside marathon training plans. Will try harder this year. I am impressed with how most of you juggle your time.

Just started running again today. Missed the rain.Walked 3 mile with 10 x 100m jogs and plenty of stretching. Got up to speed for a couple of seconds near the last repeats. I am pretty confident Dazzers advice on resting the soleus and The hands of Jesus have got me fixed 3 days early. Will do more jogging/ walking tomorrow. Will take it easy till Thursday.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks to all of you for sharing your tips and have to say I am very impressed that people manage to get out running with so many commitments.

I think I need to try harder and be more creative to fit some more runs in. With that in mind has anyone got any tips for good places to run in Brighton late 8/9pm or early mornings 5/6am when its potentially dark (close to Rottingdean/ Woodingdean if possible)? I normally run on trails but it could be quite challenging at those times!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can be a struggle fitting sessions in sometimes but I usually manage 6 runs a week. Kids are 22 and 17 so not so much of an issue (apart from being a taxi service for youngest). I work in Canary Wharf but also lucky enough to do a couple of days a week at home. When in the office I am normally in soon after 7 (SASTA permitting) and will always have allocated 90 mins in my diary for the gym where I'll hit a treadmill session of anything from 30-70 mins (whatever my plan dictates). I run outdoors on my WFH days obviously. Don't enjoy the tready at all but it's good for intervals and speed discipline, and way better than nothing, or trying to drag myself out of the door after getting home at 8pm (after a 5.30am start). I travel a fair bit with work as well - that means hotel treadmills and foreign cities. Actually a great way to do a bit of sightseeing I otherwise wouldn't manage. I switch things around in my plan to suit where I am on any particular day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Today marks a year since my first training run for the BM10k in actual proper running shoes. Then I managed 1.77 miles in 19.34. Today a four mile steady state with warm up, cool down and easy mid section, taking it to a total of 7 miles at average pace 9,17. Miles 5 and 6 were awesome in the cold and still morning with licence to run steady, both more or less bang on 8.45 without any problem at all.

I'm really glad the weather has calmed down and gone colder. It was getting depressing running in rain and wind. This morning's run was beautiful even though all done in the dark as I could actually see the stars and there were plenty of other runners out there to chase!

https://www.strava.com/activities/468555908

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

It's slightly different for me in that I use running to supplement my training for other sports.

That said I run at least 3 times a week. I try to make the most of it when I do. If I'm only going to have 30-40 minutes, then I'll try and find a route with lots of hills or difficult terrain. Or I'll use intervals, varying my pace by adding in sprints.

Also if I'm heading off to a training session, then I'll run there.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks to all of you for sharing your tips and have to say I am very impressed that people manage to get out running with so many commitments.

I think I need to try harder and be more creative to fit some more runs in. With that in mind has anyone got any tips for good places to run in Brighton late 8/9pm or early mornings 5/6am when its potentially dark (close to Rottingdean/ Woodingdean if possible)? I normally run on trails but it could be quite challenging at those times!

I love running along the undercliff walk.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back on it this morning after Sunday's long run, to find the cold had replaced the wind and rain. Knee was playing up a bit, and there is no doubting I'm feeling a bit 'old' at the moment. Weight (and hopefully) body fat on the way down though, so that's a bonus!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1013633526

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
My mate who I go to games with and who is running the Steyning Stinger lent me Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes over new year. Started reading it on this morning's SASTA commute and it's so good I am nearly half way through it already. Thoroughly recommended if you haven't read it already. Might finish it in bed tonight just so I can feel inadequate ahead of tomorrow's 7.5 mile steady run.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just in case anyone is thinking about doing the Worthing Lido 4 mile on the last Sunday of January......................

- if you've not done it before it's a very fast, flat race which has been staged for many a year

- it's only £7 to enter (it's a West Sussex Fun Run League event)

- BUT whereas in the past they accepted entries on the day, this year you'd need to pre-register

Anyone doing anything this weekend? Not much on other than Parkruns? New Bevendean one starting soon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here