Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Peter James’ “bomb at the Amex” fiction in Argus today

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm still trying to work out how my wife who was up in Brisbane last week was able to buy it.
Available in all bookstores for $16 in softback.

Surely the first release would be in hardback and in the country of origin ?
Anyone in the book publishing industry able to shed any light on this seemingly anomaly ?

Softback! Love it :lol:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yep, his talents can't match his ideas. Only read a couple of his books, but pretty much gave up when one story (can't remember which one because his stupid "Dead" titles make them all sound the same) was resolved by a completely out of the blue and random anonymous member of the public phoning the police about something suspicious. Think there was then a par explaining that despite all the detective work that goes on, the majority of crimes are solved by tip-offs. Threw the book across the room in disgust.

It’s lowest common denominator fiction for people who don't really like books.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Interesting thread this.

I find it really interesting that so many Brighton inhabitants are so negative about the Roy Grace books. It feels like you’re almost not allowed to like them reading some on here.

It’s fiction and highly successful fiction at that. I’ve read them all and am really looking forward to taking the new one on holiday next week.

Will Sandy come back from the dead? What will happen to Bruno? Who knows but I’m looking forward to finding out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read one of his books. I didn't get on with it They deal with quite dark subject matter but in a very parochial way. I personally prefer Simon Brett's Fethering Mysteries. They are a bit whimsical but with an edge of darkness and are all set in a thinly disguised Sussex. Major town names like Worthing and Brighton are namechecked but he changes the names of the smaller towns and villages. If you know the area yo can work out where he means. Also he slips local characters in there and it's quite funny if you knwo who they are.

Thay aren't brilliantly written but they are a good read. I enjoyed them far more than PJ's efforts.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Amazing that anyone can be upset about a writer writing fiction about a terrorist attack on the Amex. Its a crazy world.

I like his books, it is nice to read something set in Brighton, it has its flaws but then so do most things. I am happy to focus on the positives.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Don't see the problem here. He writes crime fiction (not real) and bases his stories in Brighton.

It's nothing against the club, it's just a popular venue in the Brighton area and he decided to use terrorism/bombing as a storyline. Once again, it's not real.

You're Peter James and I claim £5.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm still trying to work out how my wife who was up in Brisbane last week was able to buy it.
Available in all bookstores for $16 in softback.

Surely the first release would be in hardback and in the country of origin ?
Anyone in the book publishing industry able to shed any light on this seemingly anomaly ?

Are you sure it was 'Dead If You Don't'...?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Interesting thread this.

I find it really interesting that so many Brighton inhabitants are so negative about the Roy Grace books. It feels like you’re almost not allowed to like them reading some on here.

It’s fiction and highly successful fiction at that. I’ve read them all and am really looking forward to taking the new one on holiday next week.

Will Sandy come back from the dead? What will happen to Bruno? Who knows but I’m looking forward to finding out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, but just because they're set in Brighton doesn't mean they need to be read by local people. Would you be reading the series if it was set in sunny Darlington? In today's world, where you rarely ever see anyone on public transport reading a book anymore, I think it's great that anyone is passionate about their reading matter, but for me, the old adage - too many books, too little time - means there is no room for Peter James when, imho, there are so many better and less formulaic authors out there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair enough, but just because they're set in Brighton doesn't mean they need to be read by local people. Would you be reading the series if it was set in sunny Darlington? In today's world, where you rarely ever see anyone on public transport reading a book anymore, I think it's great that anyone is passionate about their reading matter, but for me, the old adage - too many books, too little time - means there is no room for Peter James when, imho, there are so many better and less formulaic authors out there.

I only read them because they're set in Brighton to be honest and by a local author. I find them 'comfort' reading, where I don't really have to concentrate, there aren't really any complex themes underlying the narratives, they are classic holiday books - I enjoy them nonetheless, and there is always room in a reading list for a bit of formulaic fiction. I reckon I've read 4 of them in about 6 years, and mainly due to picking them up now and again in a charity shop (sorry PJ!).

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Are you sure it was 'Dead If You Don't'...?

Absolutely...

Peter James - Dead If You Don't.JPG

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know. Mungo Jerry was the name of the band not the lead singer with curly hair and large sideburns who is commonly mistaken to be called Mungo Jerry. His name was/is Ray Dorset.

Why are you taking me so literally - are you BG in disguise? I know full well all you have said and bought the single when it came out. I was just having a knowing bit of fun.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nice guy I'm sure, terrible writer though in terms of storylines and writing style!

A "terrible writer" who has sold circa 19,000,000 Roy Grace novels worldwide, and had 12 consecutive Sunday Times No1's ?

Mmmkay. I guess you're just a bit too clever for them, or something.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Why are you taking me so literally - are you BG in disguise? I know full well all you have said and bought the single when it came out. I was just having a knowing bit of fun.

Only because your continued Mungo reference which you persisted with in your second post gave the distinct impression that you thought I hadn't grasped the meaning of your reference to said Mungo which in turn led me to conclude that you were clinging to a misapprehension that Mungo was the name of the singer. I merely attempted to set the record straight and did not intend to cast aspersions on your knowledge of purveyors of jaunty 70s pop. I can only apologise for any misunderstanding or any offence caused.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A "terrible writer" who has sold circa 19,000,000 Roy Grace novels worldwide, and had 12 consecutive Sunday Times No1's ?

Mmmkay. I guess you're just a bit too clever for them, or something.

If consumption figures are an accurate measure of the quality of creative output, then GBBO, Strictly, I’m a celebrity, and BGT were 4 of the 5 best TV shows shown on UK TV in 2016. Bollocks they were.

PJ is a popular author for sure, but his writing is poor and it’s formulaic garbage.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If consumption figures are an accurate measure of the quality of creative output, then GBBO, Strictly, I’m a celebrity, and BGT were 4 of the 5 best TV shows shown on UK TV in 2016. Bollocks they were.

PJ is a popular author for sure, but his writing is poor and it’s formulaic garbage.

It may not be Tolstoy, but they're enjoyable enough yarns. I'll admit I'm surprised they're so massively successful internationally being as they are so intensely parochial, but there is often an inherent snobbery towards popular culture, justified or not.

I love a good Wilbur Smith when I'm on me hols.

There. I said it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It may not be Tolstoy, but they're enjoyable enough yarns. I'll admit I'm surprised they're so massively successful internationally being as they are so intensely parochial, but there is often an inherent snobbery towards popular culture, justified or not.

I love a good Wilbur Smith when I'm on me hols.

There. I said it.

Tolstoy? That’s like comparing Leon Best with Messi - and I’m not even joking.

Wilbur Smith is, imo, a far better writer than PJ - there’s no deus ex machina plot devices in his books, for starters.

Snobbery? Possibly so, but that doesn’t mean an assessment of PJ’s writing abilities as garbage is wrong!

Edit: “PJ is the Leon Best of authors” - Katie Price. I can see the blurb now...

Yeah, yeah - snobbery again :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here