Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Let's face it we are seriously behind the curve now with recruitment.

A central midfielder and striker are essential and each require large money.

And even that doesn't make our attacking options good enough.

Ho hum. Can't see anything other than relegation at the moment, but you never can tell.

Same as you. We seem to be cementing 20th at the moment. Hopefully signings are in the pipeline to bolster where we need it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8027868 said:
So how come people on here keep saying that good players will become available once the 25 man squads are announced. Surely if that's the case we can't sign any of them? Am I missing something/being a DUNCE :dunce:?

If people are saying that, I have no idea why. I am responsible only for my own ramblings on this board. :thumbsup:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Someone made a good point on here that prices won't necessarily go down at the end of August. If a club knows you are desperate, it's going to go up!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So how come people on here keep saying that good players will become available once the 25 man squads are announced. Surely if that's the case we can't sign any of them? Am I missing something/being a DUNCE :dunce:?

That is the latest date some clubs will announce their squads earlier and these are the ones that we will pick at. An example would be West Ham having signed Hart will now possibly make the player who was 3rd choice last season available now that he is 4th choice

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Who knows who our targets are for this window? I expect a few surprises before it closes. I would be looking for serious value and quality to shore up what we can before this window closes and be ready to get some good deals in Jan. Players hanging on for stupid money that miss this window will be looking to get into a club for Jan IMO. :shrug:

#HopingLikeF**k

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Someone made a good point on here that prices won't necessarily go down at the end of August. If a club knows you are desperate, it's going to go up!

This, market doesn't really move now, if anything it goes up at the end. Just look at that Sissoko transfer at the end of the window to Spurs.

I am definitely concerned as you all can tell :lolol:

If we've had no good rumblings of significant incoming by next Monday though I'll be wetting every bed this side of the Atlantic.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It certainly seems to me that prices are more likely to go up rather than down as we approach the end of the window, but as some of you have pointed out as signings go through some players will become available (like the Hart example posted above)

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Funny, the club says Jan window is difficult because short space of time to complete deals, inflated prices etc and they prefer the summer...not being rude or anything but very shortly the season will gave started, and we will have 4 weeks until the window closes and if anyone thinks prices will go down in those last few weeks they are deluded.

The issue is simple. everyone knows how much a PL club gets, therefore everyone sets their prices accordingly. If we want to receive the money (PL sums) but pay L1/ championship figures then the whole process of getting promoted has been a complete and utter waste of time.

Surely the recruitment should be further down the line by now, and we haven't even started to offload Towell/Ince etc... There is so much to do its frightening....

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Naively I thought we'd have some key signings lined up early in the summer, but in hindsight I appreciate it's not easy to land good strikers etc. early doors unless you have deep pockets. I'm not panicking and I understand why the club can't say much, but it does feel like landing around 3 or 4 significant players is going to take us right up to the closing day. I can't see us making a panic buy, but January is a long time to wait in the Premier League if we haven't done our business by the end of the summer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Middlesbrough invested heavily on their promotion didn't they?

Check out Steve Gibson's review in May. He spoke candidly about the heartbreaking season, highlighting a lack of pace and flair in their squad. The goals scored figure said it all. They blew most of a meagre £23m on De Roon, bringing in just a handful of players.

Hudd have already spent £36m and Newcastle £21m on Lejeune and Murphy, with time to go.

And on a much lower PL monies deal then, Stains spent £33m and Bournemouth £41m, in their first season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I always look at things from a gambling perspective and i think we currently look like value at 13/10 best price to go straight back down. Stoke at 7/1 are best priced in that regard but barring Huddersfield there are no other obvious candidates arguably Burnley.

In the PL you need to score goals and as things stand Hemed, Baldock and Murray aren't going to keep us up. That said, there is a long way to go and I'm not tempted to lump on but the historic missing out on strikers concerns me. I get that we don't want to get mugged but I also worry we are trying to be too clever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always look at things from a gambling perspective and i think we currently look like value at 13/10 best price to go straight back down. Stoke at 7/1 are best priced in that regard but barring Huddersfield there are no other obvious candidates arguably Burnley.

In the PL you need to score goals and as things stand Hemed, Baldock and Murray aren't going to keep us up. That said, there is a long way to go and I'm not tempted to lump on but the historic missing out on strikers concerns me. I get that we don't want to get mugged but I also worry we are trying to be too clever.

What odds, please, are:

Bournemouth
Palace
Newcastle
Swansea

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What odds, please, are:

Bournemouth
Palace
Newcastle
Swansea

Muff 13/2 Skybet
Palace 11/2 betvictor if you can get on
Newcastle 9/2 Sporting bet (again if you can get on 4/1 general)
Swansea 9/4 Betfred. Be surprised if they are as shit next year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Muff 13/2 Skybet
Palace 11/2 betvictor if you can get on
Newcastle 9/2 Sporting bet (again if you can get on 4/1 general)
Swansea 9/4 Betfred. Be surprised if they are as shit next year.

Ta.

Versus 13/10 for us. Crikey. I looked about 6 weeks back and from memory we were in a bunch with other clubs on similar odds.

I wonder what's changed? Cash flows from punters?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
To be fair the club would be about £9m lighter in the pocket now had Neto passed his medical last Friday.

I absolutely get the club is trying. I'd imagine they have an army people looking at transfers, targets and God knows what else (clearly medicals). My concern is that TB above anyone else knows what value is and there is no such thing in the striker market. We are not going to pay 110k a week for Jermain Defoe and I back that but that road means our market is restricted.

Still, worse that can happen is we go straight back down with another 150 million paid to us by Sky.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yea, who needs facts eh, they aren't interesting :lolol:

Took 6 points from us and won the league.

Also spent over 20m on bolstering their squad this season.

We were promoted earlier than them are were 90 seconds away from winning the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here