Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pronunciation

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I always thought this whole Aitch/Haitch thing was just a speech impediment. Like a lisp.

At school I was taught Aitch, my mum and dad use Aitch. But my younger sister says Haitch. She just can't physically say Aitch.

If a teacher can't say Aitch how can they teach your child to say it right? Innit.

Expecting a teacher to get it right :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My dad, now almost 90, gets a real bee in his bonnet about haitch and aitch - he recons the modern primary school teachers of today have been told to teach haitch - he gets mad - NO SUCH WORD !!

Some words could sound really different depending how you joined the letters.

TITANIC could become TIT-A-NIC
CHICAGO could become CHIC-A-GO

Hurrah for the English Language

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Er, this. :lolol:
[MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION], WTF are you talking about? :lolol:

I'm talking out of my arse (or do I mean ass?) :facepalm::lolol::bigwave:

(don't tell Mrs T - she'll throw me out of the window and into the sea)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I used to work with two women, neither of whom could pronounce "specific" (one of the questions they had to ask customers was about specific times).
One would say "Pacific" & the other "Suspific".

Mrs P can't say specific either. Always comes out as pacific.

double dip dave

Nov 1, 2016
I have noticed that people who say haitch drop the aitch off words that begin with aitch but put an aitch on words that begin with A my father was one it must be a speech defect

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Doesn't bother me greatly. Unlike people who drop the r from the past tense of buy (because it sounds posher, FFS.). Bought, as in the past tense of 'bing'. I'm getting all cross now. :facepalm::lolol:

I don't think it sounds posher to say you bought something in a shop. I just think it sounds correct. Actually, I think it actually is correct.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think it sounds posher to say you bought something in a shop. I just think it sounds correct. Actually, I think it actually is correct.

Scroll up....

I have had my collar felt. But I am a bit surprised how few people noticed that I had mixed up my bought and brought in my haste to make a hoity toity point.

To recap. Ahem. I hate it when people say bought when they mean brought. I suspect they do it because they think it sounds posher. I say that largely because of whom I catch doing it. And yes, I am a massive snob. I direct you, also, to my comedy strapline below. Unfortunately I am careless tyrapist and when I don't poofread my posts I can end up looking a cant.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Scroll up....

I have had my collar felt. But I am a bit surprised how few people noticed that I had mixed up my bought and brought in my haste to make a hoity toity point.

To recap. Ahem. I hate it when people say bought when they mean brought. I suspect they do it because they think it sounds posher. I say that largely because of whom I catch doing it. And yes, I am a massive snob. I direct you, also, to my comedy strapline below. Unfortunately I am careless tyrapist and when I don't poofread my posts I can end up looking a cant.

I can't work out if you've got it right, got it wrong, or are on a wind up.

Bought is the past tense of buy.
Brought is the past tense of bring.
There's nothing about sounding posher in saying bought. It's just right.
If I've been whooshed, I can cope with it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here