Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
"Because Leicester is 50% non-white"

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Do you really take us all for mugs? You are the 'little Englander' my friend.

Really? It is my obversation on how people like Murdoch manipulate, nothing more. If you read 'little Englander' into that...And if you think that The Sun Says Leave didn't influence the gullible then yes, you probably are a mug.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Petition now said to be reaching 800.000 signatures. Also 90,000 signed a petition calling on the Mayor of London to make London independant and stay in Europe.

The second one proves how pathetic the first one is. YOU LOST.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I am disappointed, especially for the young generation who I think have had this thrust on them by us older people. But it's surely too late now...damage done.
However, I see no reason why all previous Lotto Draws shouldn't be redrawn. In fact I'm considering starting a petition to do just that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Seriously ask the leavers what they are expecting to actually happen now? - loads of new money spent on NHS?

The vote leave campaign are not a elected power in this country, that's the Government who were elected by the public in the last General Election.

Just because the vote leave side won, it doesn't mean that they should now dictate how and where public money is spent - they haven't been elected to do this as a result of this referendum's outcome and therefore should still have zero control on how public money is spent (that is not how referendums work) It could be said that this outcome could influence the way those in power spend public money as it's a guide to what public opinion is at the moment and that they want extra funds to be spent there.

We may not have this money anyway for at least a couple of years because there is the article 50 negotiations to go through and it's not an immediate leaving of the EU as it's a kind of 2 year (minimum) notice period that has to be served (so we still pay into the EU until we do finally leave)

no that will be spent of bailing out Wales who will now lose their net financial benefit of being in EU and will need rest of UK to cover shortfall, removal of all immigrants from our shores and no more to arrive - was never going to happen, a brand new UK farming and fishery policy..ah no as Europe still going to be our main market so we will still have to adhere to their policies in order to sell to them....safer UK....nearly all recent terrorist attacks in UK by UK nationals.....etc etc etc

Wales voted to leave, if the EU was so great for them with their subsidies from the EU, why did they vote leave?

Why do you think that there wont be new agreements on things like movement of people between us and other European countries but ones we have more control over?

UK terrorists attacking the UK - why are we safer in then?

Why can't we adopt /copy policies that the EU may have if we think they are beneficial to our country? (copying some of what they do) like clean beaches standards, etc - these become issues that our politicians can be elected on and a part of various political party manifestos and the people of the UK decide if they want it or not through a democratic process

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Personally I think it's a disaster and that OUT won because a lot of the two million Sun readers did what uncle rupert told them to.

However, you cannot have conditional democracy where you only take a mandate if you agree with the voters; if Leave had won by a single vote then the result would still be valid.
What we, as a country need to do now, is look at why so many people felt so disenfranchised by the whole system that they felt they had nothing to lose by voting Leave. Not something we're likely to get with a Westminster/City/metropolis focussed right leaning government.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Cameron made so many mistakes: calling the referendum now in the first place when he could have waited two years; not ensuring that non UK residents who could vote actually registered; not giving 16-17 year olds the vote.

Perhaps the biggest mistake of all was not to provide a 55% threshold for Leave. That would have been reasonable IMO given the uncertainty a Leave vote creates. Imagine the uproar if, say 600k people voted the other way and Leave won by a whisker.

In other words try and fix the vote

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The vote leave campaign are not a elected power in this country, that's the Government who were elected by the public in the last General Election.

Just because the vote leave side won, it doesn't mean that they should now dictate how and where public money is spent - they haven't been elected to do this as a result of this referendum's outcome and therefore should still have zero control on how public money is spent (that is not how referendums work)

Odd that their campaign said they would spend £100m of the £350m per week that they alledged we would get back control of on the NHS then. Politics at its worst.

Agree though that its the elected government that makes the calls. Hopefully another election in the Spring with a party pro eu. happy days

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I overheard a barmaid having a conversation with a colleague and was voting to leave as she couldn't stand another colleague because she's from Latvia.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
All i pointed out is that there are still many alive today who lived through the war, saw many young lives cut short and then see everything being given away . All those lives lost for nothing. They were also conned in the common market vote as there was no mention of a political union.

That is just emotive, unreasoning nonsense. There was an overwhelming, extreme right-wing threat to our way of life that was defeated by many nations.You do a great disservice to all those who fell achieving that, not just from this country but from so many others, including those we subjugated during the great days of the empire. It's a good job they didn't share your way of thinking.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Which aspects of the EU resemble a Frankenstein monster of bureaucratic intransigence?

The part that moves the European Parliament between Brussels and Strasbourg for four days at a month at a cost of £150 million a year for starters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does seem stupid to invoke a very aggressive piece of political action based on a very marginal majority.
Welcome to democracy.

attachment.php

I thought this was interesting and supports the OP's argument.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Where are the "number of years they've had to put up with bullshit from the EU" and "number of years of political wisdom" columns?

I'm just pointing out that only 1 in 3 voted for Brexit, and 2 in 3 didn't.
And how many ever voted for us to join the EU? The only time we've ever had a say on it, most people that cared enough to vote wanted to leave.

You do realise that a mere 30% of the 18-25 group actually bothered to vote.
:lol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm just pointing out that only 1 in 3 voted for Brexit, and 2 in 3 didn't.

Go check the stats out. Degree educated people almost universally voted remain, whereas those with GCSE or below level qualification voted leave. These are facts, not my opinion.

So that could be down to how much membership of the EU has an affect on you.

Lower wages for manual workers like builders and plumbers because of the influx of cheaper foreign labour, lower wages for shop staff and admin clerks again due to cheap labour.

Coupled with ever increasing costs of living due to the continual increases in the cost to rent or buy housing, EU membership and this free movement would have pushed people towards the poverty line.

The richer areas (with high house prices like central London which voted remain) are likely to be too expensive for this cheap labour to move into and therefore have less effect on the poeple living there)

The degree educated individuals are likely to be in a more skilled profession and face less competition for their job from this cheap labour, but even if they did, the likely effect on their wage is that it wouldn't be enough of a decrease to force them to struggle to make ends meet. They are also more likely to have jobs or even just the disposable income that means that they are more likely to go to European countries (and more often) and benefit from the free movement rules

It's possibly the effect on their lives that dictate their view of being in the EU and possibly helps to explain why the poorer areas of the UK voted for leave

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here