Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for an Albion fan from the LGBTQ community

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Do we have any fans that are gender neutral?

I'm considering changing to gender-fluid tomorrow.
I just wanna try them all out and see which fits best.

Pansexual was a right old giggle, I found 3 others in pan outfits and we crossed swords with Captain Hook types.

Today's Pixie-Kin trial is a bit harder, I've pranced around within the flowers and grass over here but there's a wasps nest nearby so I've had to take a break.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I remember looking at this thread title on the main page yesterday thinking "Oh, that's going to be a short one, someone will pass on their details, thread done" then seeing it today with four pages going "oooooh wait, I bet I know what's happened here"

Thread does not disappoint.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have no knowledge of the OP's motivation but, at a guess, I think they want a different and specific viewpoint.

But why would the OP think that a LGBT etc viewpoint on the club would be any different to a heterosexual fan's viewpoint on the club?

We are all fans who love the club and our sexual preferences should not be an issue.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But why would the OP think that a LGBT etc viewpoint on the club would be any different to a heterosexual fan's viewpoint on the club?

We are all fans who love the club and our sexual preferences should not be an issue.

An earlier explanation:

"If further clarification is required, I'll provide it: the column is about life as an Albion fan from an LGBTQ perspective. Previous columns have talked about such things as the Albion's involvement in Pride, legislation against homophobic chanting and behaviour at football, a profile of Justin Fashanu, the prospect of openly-gay players"

It's specific content they are after.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
They want someone that can highlight the segregated excluded feeling of an individual from the LGBT community about football or at least with a bit of football thrown in.

Really? An Albion fan from the LGBT community who feels "excluded" from football. I would like to think that no such individual exists.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Because their viewpoint could be different? I mean I sit next to my dad and brother and we're all heterosexual males and more often than not we've all got different views on what's happening at the club or on the pitch.

People are different. People see the world differently.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really? An Albion fan from the LGBT community who feels "excluded" from football. I would like to think that no such individual exists.
Sadly it's true. Only recently I learnt that a fellow fan and NSCer who I knew to nod to at Withdean has given up supporting g Brighton because of abuse at a game about her transgender.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sadly it's true. Only recently I learnt that a fellow fan and NSCer who I knew to nod to at Withdean has given up supporting g Brighton because of abuse at a game about her transgender.

By Albion fans, or away fans? One would hope that Albion fans would be more tolerant that to do that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Sounds like a prime candidate for the OP.
Abuse suffered at the football.
Why they left.
What has improved since then.
What needs to improve.
How they currently feel about football/Albion.

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
In my mind, a football club should represent its community - simple as that.

Brighton and Hove is one of the most eclectic and fascinating places in the country and I want TAM to showcase this.

Acres of articles about the same element of being an Albion fan? Not that interesting.

Our eventual LGBTQ columnist can write about any issues they want to highlight.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Your are taking my post out of context. I said excluded feeling, not just the football the action on the pitch, but other aspects as well. If you take the whole of my post, instead of a part of it, you'll see I don't particularly support the need for a writer based on these viewpoints.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It's not a viewpoint on the club, it's a viewpoint on football. If it was just a case of "I'm a Brighton fan, I went to the match and we lost", then yeah, anybody could do it.. But the experiences of minorities are different and need a voice, people DO feel excluded.. The reverse also applies. If the Mag wanted someone to write about what it was like to take young children to the Amex and to away games, they wouldn't ask for a childless lesbian for example.

I'm still amazed that this has to be pointed out. And I should point out that I'm someone who hates the concept of 'Political Correctness' and thinks the vast majority of Guardian readers are muddle-headed, middle class liberal wankers - but even I can see the merit in the original request.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not a viewpoint on the club, it's a viewpoint on football. If it was just a case of "I'm a Brighton fan, I went to the match and we lost", then yeah, anybody could do it.. But the experiences of minorities are different and need a voice, people DO feel excluded.. The reverse also applies. If the Mag wanted someone to write about what it was like to take young children to the Amex and to away games, they wouldn't ask for a childless lesbian for example.

I'm still amazed that this has to be pointed out. And I should point out that I'm someone who hates the concept of 'Political Correctness' and thinks the vast majority of Guardian readers are muddle-headed, middle class liberal wankers - but even I can see the merit in the original request.

Oi! I'm a lower-median-upper-left-downer-middle-class wanker, thank you very much!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
In the unlikely event that this thread should bore you into a stupor, please find the latest edition of The Albion Mag below:

https://issuu.com/thealbionmagbrighton/docs/tam_6_issu_23.05-2

Ive just read the piece written by somebody from the LGBT community, are his views any different that people from those who are straight ? Just seems that it was added just because we have a large LGBT community and its trying to make the mag more appealing to them when in all honesty the piece could have been written by anybody !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here