Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The DUP...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Agree that good post until last sentence. Bit like saying 'you lost even though you won 1-0 against third rate opposition that you should have thrashed by 5 or 6.' Fair point, but you still won.

Ah well, we just see it differently. From where I sit, the Tories were crusiing along with a workable, if unspectacular, majority, a divided opposition, a popular leader and three years of governing in the bank

Then OF THEIR OWN CHOOSING they called an election.
And as I have outlined above - they have gone from position of reasonable strength to...well....being totally fu*ked basically.
Feels like a loss to me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be interested to see if this comes out in the real media - as it surely must if there is anything to it. It may be true, I wouldn't put it past the likes of Campbell to go down such a road if backed into a corner (which is what has happened with May - she really has no choice) But I'll keep an open mind for now if that's OK, given the 'source'. And also note that I would never dream of just copying and pasting an article from 'The Canary' and expect anyone to take it seriously. Though I acknowledge others might!

The bit about Gordon was in the press 2010 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ele...ion-2010-DUP-now-being-courted-by-Labour.html

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Ok...as I said I certainly don't rule it out. But what is in that story is definitely not evidence of Labour seeking a deal or coalition with the DUP. At best it is circumstantial evidence that it may have been thought about. Maybe. From my reading, the Guido Fawkes story takes a few liberties with interpretation. Which is obviously what he is paid to do.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok...as I said I certainly don't rule it out. But what is in that story is definitely not evidence of Labour seeking a deal or coalition with the DUP. At best it is circumstantial evidence that it may have been thought about. Maybe. From my reading, the Guido Fawkes story takes a few liberties with interpretation. Which is obviously what he is paid to do.

Also discussing or courting a deal with anyone is very different from actually going through with it. That wasn't necessary due to Nick Clegg but the interest was there. UK politics that's all.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The linking of the DUP to terrorist groups is a bit unnerving. Simply because it has only a constructed truth.

I've had a long conversation with a Belfast friend about this. They are not a loyalist Sinn Fein. Apart from a brief flirtation with Ulster Resistance in the mid-80s, and Peter Robinson's stupid publicity stunts around the Anglo-Irish agreement, there is very little to associate them.

The advantage of them being involved is the possibility of soft BREXIT. I'd say, if anything, they weaken her position in any hardcore negotiations.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, this confidence and supply deal, is it so called cos we're confident that the British taxpayers will supply NI with buckets full of cash?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
LABOUR REPEATEDLY TRIED TO DO DEALS WITH THE DUP

Don’t buy the rank hypocrisy of Labour’s faux outrage this morning…

The Blairites would sell their granny to get into power - they are as two-faced as the Tories.

I've had a long conversation with a Belfast friend about this. They are not a loyalist Sinn Fein. Apart from a brief flirtation with Ulster Resistance in the mid-80s, and Peter Robinson's stupid publicity stunts around the Anglo-Irish agreement, there is very little to associate them.
The connection between the DUP and loyalist paramilitaries is long and well-established - going right back to 1959 when Paisley was instigating riots across the North - to 1974 when he orchestrated the UWC strike imposed by the UDA and the UVF - to the dozen of 'third forces' (cover names for the existing loyalist paramilitary groups) to drive the 'Catholic enemy' out of Northern Ireland.- to cheerleading for one of the worst loyalist psychopathic killers in Billy Wright (who wanted to be known as 'King Rat') who was the best of 'friends' with leading DUP MP Willie McCrea. Wright's battle cry was "Yabadadoo, any Taig [Catholic] will do". McCrea shared a loyalist platform with Wright in 1996 after the Combined Loyalist Military Command issued a death threat against Wright (because he was too much of a nutcase even for them). During the Drumcree standoff in 1996 Wright drove a JCB with a fuel tank in the digger bucket into the curchyard at Drumcree and threatened to spray the police with petrol and set them on fire if the didn't allow an Orange Order parade down the Garvaghy Road. Wright's family was legally represented by another DUP MP Danny Simpson after he was murdered in prison by republican paramilitaries (something that turned him into a loyalist martyr - and an utterly stupid thing for republicans to do).

The advantage of them being involved is the possibility of soft BREXIT. I'd say, if anything, they weaken her position in any hardcore negotiations.
The DUP have one objective and one objective only - that is to maintain it position in Northern Ireland as the largest unionist party and their position of being bigger than Sinn Fein. If a hard Brexit serves their interests in doing this then they will absolutely support it - and that is very likely as Sinn Fein have been using the Brexit vote for their own political motives to push for a border poll in the North (a referendum on a united Ireland). If a hard Brexit suited Sinn Fein then they would have no problem supporting it - but a hard brexit means a hard border between North and South so SF are opposing brexit because they view it as making a united Ireland more difficult to achieve.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
[MENTION=509]Cian[/MENTION]

Just waiting for this posters take on DUP

I've been up a mountain in Portugal with extremely bad internet; and sun and Super Bock and many other reasons not to look for good internet

The DUP are effectively back to being Ian Paisley's representatives and mouthpieces even from beyond the grave - and that's Ian Paisley of the 1980s. Robinson did rather a lot of work to modernise the party, as did Paisley himself in his last few years.

They have always been incredibly corrupt - the Paisleys (Sr and Jr) used their position to feather their nests, as did Robinson's wife and as have hundreds if not thousands of party members under the heat scheme that brought down the NI government a few months ago. Its not like SF aren't corrupt; but when you're the one claiming to be the strong/safe/controlled party.... They also have pretty much undeniable links to loyalist paramilitaries; who are in a similar may-or-may-not-have-disarmed status as the PIRA. Again, not as bad as SF's ones but the same issue of being holier-than-thou for an extremely tiny amount of holier.

Politics in NI is now more polarised than ever on every scale - there is only one moderate MP left, Sylvia Hermon who is an independent Unionist. The DUP are insane and SF are a cult. DUP are far right, SF have become far left.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

https://twitter.com/CarolineFlintMP/status/873864694146183168

Labour MP Caroline Flint seems to think it is true.

[tweet]873864694146183168[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here