Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mountain Bike Recommendations.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
So many folk make this mistake. A solid road- orientated bike with hub gears is the way to go.

As someone else looking to cop a new bike soon for a central london commute - what are hub gears? And also, can I get a decent bike for around £500?

theboybilly

As someone else looking to cop a new bike soon for a central london commute - what are hub gears? And also, can I get a decent bike for around £500?

Hub gears are gears with the workings inside the rear wheel hub ( like Sturmey Archer did, and in fact still do, produce) They are very low maintenance compared do derailleur gears that the majority of bikes have. Many hub geared bikes have kevlar 'Gates' belts instead of a chain saving oiling and issues with broken links. These are the things to consider from a commute workhorse. Yes for £500 you will get a very good bike for a your commuting purposes. Here is one for much less but you"ll have to be quick:

Vitus Bikes Dee VR City bike -Nexus 2017
£341.99
3-speed hub gears (which is enough for most riding believe me) but only 2 szes left (16" Small or 19" Medium)
From Chain Reaction Cycles with free delivery.
Vitus bikes have a good reputation for value

Edit: Just a little more info on this bike - it comes with disc brakes which are normally found on bikes costing a bit more. It has 29" mountain bike wheels instead of the more usual 27.5". THis should make the bike roll easier and also smooth out some of the worst of the poor roads. It won't be for everyone especially if you are new to cycling and haven't gained a level of fitness for hills using only 3 speeds but I rode around London on a 3-seped Brompton folder quite happily for years until I retired and that only had 20" wheels. I fail to see you getting better value than this but if Chain Reaction are out of stock you can buy one at a still very competetive £379 from Wiggle.com

I can't link to the web page but just go to the clearance section of the Chain Reaction bikes website and look for Vitus bikes

Last edited:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Make sure you do the sums with the cycle to work scheme, it's not what it once was. Last time I did it I doubt I saved much at all once the final payment was factored in, and I was limited where I could get the bike from, plus I had to pay full whack. If you can it might be better getting an interest free credit card and buying a bike in the sale.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Is there a collection noun, for bike anoraks?

I wasnt't keen on the BTW scheme, as never get to own the bike, after paying off the 'loan'..

You do own it after 3 years or if you leave the company before then you pay a percentage depending on how many years you have had it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So, I'm going to do the ride 2 work scheme and I am going for the full amount possible of £1000 and I am limited to Evans Cycles only as that is who my work has set the ride 2 work scheme up with.

I used to have a Boardman hardtail but it was stolen. It cost me £600 and I loved it, even though you can obviously spend way more and get better, if you have it.

So far, I have checked out the Norco Fluid 7.2 and compared it to the Boardman Pro 29er both at £1000 and to my limited knowledge the Norco appears better spec. The Norco 7.3 is for suspension a £1,099 which we be fine but I suspect the spec will be better on the hardtail for the difference.

This looks fairly decent in your price range

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-scott-scale-960-50218/

I took a look and I like the idea of 29" where's and 20 gears. On the other hand I like the idea of 11 gears and the drop seat. I will take a look at both hopefully today. Thx

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here