Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Catfish circa 1997

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Went a couple of times when it was at the Volk's .

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
great place the catfish.

comforting to know the time without needing a watch, seemed to be the same records every week, same order.

oh and california soul?

there was a compilation CD called the catfish kick, must have been circa 1990? i must dig it out

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
great place the catfish.

comforting to know the time without needing a watch, seemed to be the same records every week, same order.

oh and california soul?

there was a compilation CD called the catfish kick, must have been circa 1990? i must dig it out

So there was. Here is the track listing

1 –The Five Du-Tones Shake A Tail Feather
2 –Etta James Tell Mama
3 –Billy Davis & The Legends Spunky Onions
4 –Richard Berry Louie, Louie
5 –Pilgrim Travellers* I've Got A New Home
6 –John Lee Hooker Odds Against Me
7 –Frankie Lee Sims Married Woman
8 –Guitar Junior* Roll, Roll, Roll
9 –The Ikettes Peaches And Cream
10 –Wilbert Harrison Let's Stick Together
11 –Little Esther The Deacon Moves In
12 –The Original Five Blind Boys Of Alabama Marching Up To Zion
13 –Johnny Shines Mean Black Gobbler
14 –The Mar-Keys Last Night
15 –James Brown Chonnie-On-Chon
16 –Doctor Ross Boogie Disease #2

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
They also put on The Five Blind Boys of Alabama and Etta James at the Brighton Centre.

Great stuff.

Wasn't that Russ Dewsbury and his legendary Jazz Bops that put all those bigger nights on? I went to the Five Blind Boys one. It all gets a bit hazy to be fair.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Wasn't that Russ Dewsbury and his legendary Jazz Bops that put all those bigger nights on? I went to the Five Blind Boys one. It all gets a bit hazy to be fair.

That was deffo the Catfish. I think the jazz bops included the likes of the James Taylor Quartet and Terry Callier.

Back to Etta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMnYr9Vn5k

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Had some great times there as well as at some of the other clubs mentioned, used to go to the Escape Club a lot as I was friends with the owner.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Catfish was brilliant back in 97. Agree completely with the OP.

We were spoilt for clubs back in 97. You had the Escape and Zap on the seafront for the ravers, there was the alternative nightclub down by the Pink Coconut/Barcelona/whatever it was called, up the road next to the model shop in West St was that bar/club that played excellent lounge and soul nights (you had to go down some steps to get to it), the Sussex Arts Club never failed, there was the Jazz Rooms up Ship Street. The Gloucester was Britpop central and if you really, really, really couldn't get into any of them because you were so drunk then there was always Marilyns down by St Bartholomews Church where trannies and gurners mixed with no aggro whatsoever.

I'd completely forgotten about Marilyns ... what a place that was, upstairs (where the toilets were) was how I imagine a brothel to be ... maybe it was

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
what was the name of the nightclub/dance venue in 1984, sited at the top of Regency square (where the underground car park is) we've been trying to remember the name for years now, anyone remember please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here