Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So who should take the next Penalty?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for this, looks like there was no pace and it was telegraphed.

Both of his misses were into the Northstand, did he have a flashback to the Burnley game!!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Thanks for this, looks like there was no pace and it was telegraphed.

Both of his misses were into the Northstand, did he have a flashback to the Burnley game!!
Not the best penalty agreed, obviously because he missed, but I think Casper got across a long way and it was a good save. I would say Penalty saved not Penalty missed.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not the best penalty agreed, obviously because he missed, but I think Casper got across a long way and it was a good save. I would say Penalty saved not Penalty missed.

Really, Glenn opens his body up and tries to place it, even I would have read that one........I might have been diving 10 seconds later though!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Gross.

Because he's German.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Of course it was 'penalty saved' not 'penalty missed'. It was on target and stopped by the goalkeeper. That's the very definition of a 'save'.

It was a poor penalty, and like other posters in this thread I am never confident when Murray takes them. There are very few players in the history of football who never miss a penalty, but for a striker, he seems to have a lower-than-average conversion rate. Maybe that is colouring my opinion, but a savable height, very little pace, easily read. It was poor. Of course, if Schmeichel goes the other way we talk about composure and 'fooling the keeper'.

The only player I feel confident about taking penalties for us is Hemed, though that is mostly because I've not seen what this season's signings are like from the spot (and I know we're unlikely to see Hemed become the regular penalty taker when he doesn't even get on the pitch). But I'm not sure I like the idea of changing the penalty taker. Our worst season for penalty conversion was back at Withdean where we changed penalty taker every time one of them missed it. I think half the regulars in the team took at least one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course it was 'penalty saved' not 'penalty missed'. It was on target and stopped by the goalkeeper. That's the very definition of a 'save'.

It was a poor penalty, and like other posters in this thread I am never confident when Murray takes them. There are very few players in the history of football who never miss a penalty, but for a striker, he seems to have a lower-than-average conversion rate. Maybe that is colouring my opinion, but a savable height, very little pace, easily read. It was poor. Of course, if Schmeichel goes the other way we talk about composure and 'fooling the keeper'.

The only player I feel confident about taking penalties for us is Hemed, though that is mostly because I've not seen what this season's signings are like from the spot (and I know we're unlikely to see Hemed become the regular penalty taker when he doesn't even get on the pitch). But I'm not sure I like the idea of changing the penalty taker. Our worst season for penalty conversion was back at Withdean where we changed penalty taker every time one of them missed it. I think half the regulars in the team took at least one.

I agree that Muzza’s never been a convincing penalty taker.

But CH, the coaches and team obviously disagree.

When he grabbed the ball, I was concerned, whereas everyone around me got their phones out to video a certain goal.

Personally, I love it when players smash it down the middle low.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Schmeichel also got forward a long way before Murray kicked the ball. Stepped forward with both feet off the line.

Not a good save as it should’ve been a retake.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murray was a poor penalty taker in 2009 and he’s still a poor penalty taker today. I’ve never changed that view. I don’t blame him for today or any other miss though, any striker would want to take penalties. My issue is that with all the analysis they do these days, someone should have noticed he’s never been convincing (even when he scores) and taken the job off him.

This.

Schmeichal, as is the norm, would have done his homework and known all that. Giving him added confidence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tomer.

We'd be on 39 points and 10th if he was allowed to play. :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
muzz if he wants to ...if not gross or locadia.....wasn't a bad pen ''the dane" just picked it

It was an awful penalty my wife could have hit it harder and my sons mates in the North Stand behind the goal reckon Schmeichel was going to his left before Murray hit it. I would suggest Gross as he is German and they dont miss penalties.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's the Samson and Delilah effect.
Muzza had a brutal haircut, and I thought there goes his strength.
Might have explained his wishy washy penalty :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here