Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Ah right, was hoping we might have a chance of getting him back ��

Getting mixed views on ince but we showed on saturday we needed someone who could dominate the midfield vieria esq so hopefully if he does sign he can be the one to do that

And I think Ince will be very well suited to you in that capacity. In many respects, Ince was the victim of our club evolving faster than he could. He is still a very good Championship player, as demonstrated by interest from the likes of Fulham in the past.
As others have suggested, he's a confidence player - if he gets a regular run of games and some nurturing by a supportive manager, then I think he'll become a very valuable member of your squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was Oscar Garcia, who had no other options. We fluked 6th and then got a spanking in the play-offs.

No team "flukes" 6th place over a marathon 46-game season!

Re Rohan Ince. He has talent, right now he's a Championship defensive mid but I'd love to see him get a run of games and progress. This would be a decent signing for Bristol City.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ince is a decent but flawed player. In the right set up purely as a destroyer he can be a real asset. Strong great physique and covers a lot of ground and is good in the tackle. What he doesn't do is use the ball very well. His passing isn't the best and his positional play needs work. That said he needs games more than anything and if he gets them he will make the grade at that level IMO.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You would prefer to play Ince over Norwood, so your opinion doesn't appear to have much basis in reality.

Okay, let's deconstruct your post then and check for your 'basis in reality'

You can throw your abuse around as much as you want pal

Thank you, ya big silly nonce.

:dunce:

There's a reason that Norwood has played regular football in the top half of the Championship for a few years

Before we signed him Oliver Norwood had played;

2015/16: Reading. Finished 16th in the Championship.
2014/15: Reading. Finished 19th in the Championship.
2013/14: Huddersfield. Finished 17th in the Championship.
2012/13: Huddersfield. Finished 19th in the Championship.
2011/12: Scunthorpe (Loan) 17th in League One. Carlisle (Loan) 8th in League One. Coverntry (Loan) Finished 23rd in the Championship.

Please point out to me where the "few years" of Oliver Norwood playing top half Championship football are. Because as far as I can tell, the first successful season he's had was last year with us, where he was a bit part player.

and Rohan Ince can't get a game above a relegation scrap in League 1.

Apart from the 82 games he's played at Championship level, yes.

I've nothing against the man, he's just not a particularly good player. He benefited from our having no better option at the time he was a first choice.

"He's lucky he was better than the other options we had, or he wouldn't have been the best option we had."

And again, he and JFC were lucky to have such a good defence behind them and Keith Andrews to support them.

I even said in my first post that he needs to be in a 3 man midfield because he's limited in a lot of ways. However that does not take away from the fact that in his first full season as a pro he played nearly 30 games for a team that reached the play-offs, followed by being one of the very few bright spots in the Hyypia season (along with Dunk) where we stayed up simply because we didn't concede many goals. Seeming we had a back four including a past-his-best Greer and a very poor Joe Bennett, and a midfield that regularly contained Gary Gardener & JFC I don't think the role Ince played should be overlooked.

He's struggled for game time since, because he does not suit a 2 man midfield and even if he did he wouldn't start ahead of Kayal or Stephens, who are both simply better footballers. That doesn't however take away from the fact he was usually good for us over his first two seasons. Never really excellent, occasionally pony but he always at least offered something

Him and Norwood are very different players but actually have a similar career. Came through a Top 6 Prem club, few unsuccessful loan spells before moving away. Key players for struggling Championship sides, bit-part player for a top 6 Championship side (although admittedly Norwood has more seasons under his belt) for me it comes down to who IMO has more strengths to their game;

Norwood; Excellent range of passing, dictates tempo when allowed.
Ince; Breaks up play, pushes forward well when in possession, physical presence, versatile.

You're free to disagree with my opinion, but when you litter what little counter-argument you have with factual inaccuracies such as "Norwood has played at the top end of the Championship for a few seasons." then I'm also free to think you're talking shite.

I know it is not an option but if it were who would you sooner have in the holding midfield role Ince or Bridcutt, I know where my vote goes without any contest.

Bridcutt, but for then for what it's worth, I'd have Bridcutt as the second best central midfielder of the Amex era. Behind Stephens, and marginally ahead of Kayal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He is decent tackling, often comes away with the ball and seems to have legs made of rubber, he will get his head to the ball in aerial challenges more often than not, no one will know where the ball will end up though when he does. He will be man of the match in some games, decent in most, and a total liability in at least one game a season. Some say he telegraphs his passing, I never thought that, but he does have a sort of exaggerated follow through which makes it appear like he has.
I really liked him, I felt that he needed to get a firmer grasp of his own self confidence to progress, one mistake seemed to ruin him for the rest of the game, but he is still young, and consistency is often an issue for younger players.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
My friend, you are welcome to both of them.

And I would say that if we were still in the Championship. They're not top end players and they've been overtaken by our squad. I wouldn't have either of them in or around the club.

No contrition after Sam's excellent 16/17 season, eh?
It'd be far simpler just to admit that you're wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is decent tackling, often comes away with the ball and seems to have legs made of rubber, he will get his head to the ball in aerial challenges more often than not, no one will know where the ball will end up though when he does. He will be man of the match in some games, decent in most, and a total liability in at least one game a season. Some say he telegraphs his passing, I never thought that, but he does have a sort of exaggerated follow through which makes it appear like he has.
I really liked him, I felt that he needed to get a firmer grasp of his own self confidence to progress, one mistake seemed to ruin him for the rest of the game, but he is still young, and consistency is often an issue for younger players.

I do not understand this he is still young he is 25 in November so near to reaching his prime certainly not a youngster and should be near to regular first team football at whatever level.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I do not understand this he is still young he is 25 in November so near to reaching his prime certainly not a youngster and should be near to regular first team football at whatever level.

Forgive me, I must be stupid, clearly he has no room for becoming a more consistent performer at that ripe old age.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Big strong honest team player on his day very good at breaking opposition play up and in my opinion that's what he does best in a three man midfield break play up feed creative players around him hope he does well

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Perfect description for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Superb against a full strength Arsenal team in the cup a few years ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The differing opinions is why some managers are successful and some arent there is no he is right he is wrong it is all about opinions and what you want and expect the player to do.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
In a team with a certain system he will make a good career for himself. Unfortunately with the arrival of Hughton and midfielders expected to perform dual roles his days were clearly numbered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how a near unanimous appraisal of Rohan's strengths and weaknesses can be construed as 'differing opinions'.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In a team with a certain system he will make a good career for himself. Unfortunately with the arrival of Hughton and midfielders expected to perform dual roles his days were clearly numbered.

Indeed. A top 6 Championship defensive midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. Give him half a dozen games to get his confidence back and it'll be like someone has built a solid brick wall in front of your defense. He'll need a creative player to short pass too but he was brilliant for us under Oscar Garcia for a period.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite a variety of opinions on here - in some cases quite bizarre ones! He was a promising youngster in our team 2-3 years ago, since when his career has pretty much stagnated, or even gone backwards. Whether that's because we've moved on faster than he has, or whether he just hasn't developed any more because he isn't getting games, I don't know. Either way, I don't think he's for us any more.
In his 'promising youngster' days he did enough to show there's a reasonable player in there - I would think a half season loan (if we will agree it) with a view to buy in January if it works out well would be a good punt for Bristol City.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
never kicked a ball again in first team since he was bought on to shore up midfield and close out a 2-1 win at Derby

he then promptly gifted Derby the equaliser re sloppy back pass

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If played in front of the back four to win the ball then give it to somebody else to make the pass he will be ok other than that he will struggle in The Champion ship. For a man of 6ft 5in he is very poor in the air and has no direction with his headers but he will win tackles on the ground. IMHO more suited to a League One side, as I have said many times ideally somebody like Portsmouth.

Just say what you think BG. You think he's useless. You're wrong but it's your opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here