Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder how Gus Poyet is feeling today ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A bit peeved apparently.....

Gus Poyet has cast doubt on his future as Shanghai Shenhua coach after they slipped to yet another defeat in the Chinese Super League on Wednesday.

With Carlos Tevez again absent from the forward line, the big-spending club slumped to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Guizhou Zhicheng for their eighth defeat in 20 league games so far this season.

It left Shenhua 11th in the league and well adrift in the battle for places in next year's Asian Champions League, 12 points behind Tianjin Quanjian in the third qualifying spot.

'I don't know what to say now,' the Uruguayan said after the game.

'As coach I take responsibility for this match. I won't hide. I am proud of my job. However, I have reached my limit. I am not happy at all.

'Everything has its limit. I won't take responsibilities which are not mine. I don't want to say anything anymore because it won't be in my interests.

'I hope you won't ask more questions out of respect for me. Finally, I just want to say everyone has his limit.'

Come back to England Gus, start to rebuild your career. You still have an awful lot to offer the game, and l'm sure a club in the EFL will take you on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thoughts also go out to Calderwood, wonder what he was thinking sat in the pissing rain at Colchester yesterday watching Villa GRIND out a win in the coconut twix cup.

Woah there! COCONUT TWIX!?

I want one.

What do you mean there's no such thing, and you made it up?

I ****ing well WANT one :angry:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think it's a slight re-write of history here. We certainly hit a financial point at the end of that season with Poyet where the outgoings were needing to be more than the incomings (new signings)

13/14 - We lost Bridcutt (star player arguably), and signed no one for money in that summer
Summer 14/15 We signed Chris O Grady, Baldock but lost Ulloa, Buckley

It was only really summer 15/16 where we pushed on with signings.

Anyway, this isn't a "leave Gus alone" post. Just saying that his reasons for wanting to leave weren't exactly unfounded.

Still, we've moved on to bigger and better things and I will always be thankful for what he did, even though it ended sadly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably a mixture of pride and a little regret. Pride at beginning the process for us, regret at how things ended.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think it's a slight re-write of history here. We certainly hit a financial point at the end of that season with Poyet where the outgoings were needing to be more than the incomings (new signings)

13/14 - We lost Bridcutt (star player arguably), and signed no one for money in that summer

We lost Bridcutt and Buckley because Gus poached them for Sunderland!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm sure he regrets those comments made straight after the play-off defeat, but that was a moment of a raw emotion and frustration. I also regret punching a hole in a door after the final whistle that night but some things can't be undone.

Its a real shame that those few comments made in the immediate crushing disappointment of defeat that night have cast such a shadow over his wonderful 3 and a half years with us. From being threatened with relegation to the basement division to knocking on the door of the premier league, transforming our style of play and giving us a nationally-recognised identity, bringing us to the Amex on a high and giving us players like Calde, Vicente, Dunk and Ulloa.

It was a truly wonderful period of our history that set us up for everything that has followed in the last few years.

Really got no time for comments like this one...

Glenn Murray in the latest issue of 442. "The club owes a lot to Gus Poyet."

I suspect that he is telling everyone who will listen that he would have got promotion in 2014.

Yes he'll just say they finally agreed with me. Do we have to keep refighting this same old war tho? Or do we have to keep ceremonially burning all our old match programmes from the Poyet era

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Bit of a cock but anyone who witnessed the last season at Withdean and was at Southampton for his first game will let him off that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Learn something ? He spent his career playing at the top level in Uruguay, Spain and England, won the Copa Del Rey, the Cupwinners Cup (twice), the UEFA Super Cup, the FA Cup, and played 26 times for his country during which time he won the Copa America.

Probably picked a fair bit up along the way there.

First job as a manager though, eh? Different thing entirely.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Peoples, we had some good times with Gus. Just let it go...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Shirley it's time to move on.

I'm trying to work out how boring and defensive Hughton is going to set up a team with 8 wingers, while now seriously looking forward to Saturday.

Mr Poyet and all of that baggage is a long way from yesterdays news.

Easy 3 of them will be injured or not match fit, 2 won't make the matchday squad, or the remaining 3, 1 will start in a 4-3-2-1 formation with a free role to play on either flank, the other 2 will be on the bench.

Both fullbacks will have orders not to cross the halfway line, to ensure we don't get caught on the break, all 3 midfielders will be defensive minded, with the front 3 having orders to press the ball.

Matty Ryan will take as long as possible on all goal/free kicks and retain the ball in open play for as long as possible. We will beat our top flight record of 50 back passes to the keeper in 1 half.

City will fall asleep as we score in the 92nd minute to win 1-0.

Due to the boredom, the early brigade left in the 60th minute. For the faithful CH is acclaimed as a tactical genius.

City are all grumpy after the game, and say they can't win the title now.

We can at least all dream until Saturday afternoon.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes he'll just say they finally agreed with me. Do we have to keep refighting this same old war tho? Or do we have to keep ceremonially burning all our old match programmes from the Poyet era

I agree that it's probably best put to bed now, but l just get annoyed with all the old anti Gus posters on here, when to my mind he was like a breath of fresh air to the club at the time he was here. Besides, it's so easy to knock him now we are at the pinnacle of English football, while he is wasting his time away on the other side of the world.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It was only really summer 15/16 where we pushed on with signings.

Anyway, this isn't a "leave Gus alone" post. Just saying that his reasons for wanting to leave weren't exactly unfounded.

Still, we've moved on to bigger and better things and I will always be thankful for what he did, even though it ended sadly.

But we still got as far the season after Gus as we did in his last season.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Gus gave us our identity, he also played a style of football that had never been seen before in the third tier of English football, he got us into the Championship for the first season in our new stadium, he gave us Vicente. I prefer to remember all of that rather than the way it ended.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Did someone say Alex Pritchard? Any excuse to post this. From 1 minute and 45 seconds on please. Thank you.

Never seen that, he actually seems like a decent bloke.
I guess if you hadn't done your research properly you might've thought Norwich had a better chance of promotion at the beginning of last season, that's why he did what he did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here