Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will we sign a new striker before man city game

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you were at the game Sunday, you'd know exactly why Hemed isn't the answer. Wood was the only striker I saw last season who Dunk struggled to contain. That is why he is worth over £12 million.
That's hardly fair, everybody knew Hemed was on a hiding to nothing v Athletico Madrid.

Naturally the only chance Tomer would have had came after he was subbed off, and Sidwell stuck it away.
Plus Tomer did set up our first goal.

Somewhere between £12 & £20m for a player we already have, and don't need seems like a big spend for nothing.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
To add to the premier league experience I fully expect Jim White to be outside the training ground on deadline day surrounded by Lancings finest youth as we announce our striker

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If you were at the game Sunday, you'd know exactly why Hemed isn't the answer. Wood was the only striker I saw last season who Dunk struggled to contain. That is why he is worth over £12 million.

I know he was poor on Sunday, but it was a friendly against Athletic Madrid. I find it harsh to write off a player after one pony display in a pre-season friendly match.
I don't think Wood is anywhere near the quality we are looking for and would end up third choice behind both Hemed and Murray when the dust settles. I'd sooner we signed Wells from Huddersfield (and that's saying something!) or any number of other Championship strikers.
I heavily doubt we'll sign a striker from the english leagues anyway in the coming weeks so guess worrying myself with his is pointless.
Please Albion don't waste a Marquee signing on this clown.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
With 4-5-1 looking the likely set-up against decent sides, the remaining striker will be even harder to come by. A Baldock type player might have the physical presence, and Murray/Hemed (or even an upgrade such as Wood) would still not be mobile enough for the fast attacking football we're looking for.

There are few of these players about. But with Abraham now out of the picture, who is available? Someone from abroad probably, or a deadline day surprise...

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I don't get all the hate for Hemed. Wood is shit. That Leeds side last year created so many chances and I know Wood scored a lot but for each one he scored he he sent five over the bar, shinned a couple out for throws or just fell over the ball. Not fit to clean Hemed's boots IMHO.

To be honest I don't dislike Hemed at all I just don't think he's in our long term plans once we sign another striker, Murray is the experienced centre forward, Baldock the pacey striker and I reckon the new bloke will be a mixture of the 2 so that's only going to leave Hemed sat back getting frustrated. If we need a 4th striker in case of injury / suspension etc then we've got Brown who didn't look to bad the other day up top.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
A pacy loan signing like Lookman etc and spending the cash on Lucas Perez would be a very good striker window. Perez will score goals at this level and we have shown interest before.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A pacy loan signing like Lookman etc and spending the cash on Lucas Perez would be a very good striker window. Perez will score goals at this level and we have shown interest before.

I agree. We need pace, not another target man.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As mentioned earlier, I don't think it will be a big money signing. There was discussion about a year ago on where you get the most for your money statistically and it was always attacking midfielders and wingers.

The bottom line was that you don't get the same VFM for strikers.

I believe that we will go with the three that we have with one more being added but not necessarily the big money automatic starter some are expecting

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Perez going to Newcastle I think.

Lookman good but not sure he is physical enough. Would be a good signing for baldocks competition but if 1 up top then we need and all rounder. Power , speed , heading , holding up , everything. A drogba or costa. No idea if any of those about

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here