Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
PW: you must feel better after getting all that off your chest.
Phew,I am exhausted just reading it.Gave it a thumbs up.
I really do wonder if the hard left on this board really believe the bu----it they write.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know it's Lord Ashcroft... blah blah etc... but this is interesting...

Ashcroft National Poll (24-26th April):

CON 36% (+2)
LAB 30% (-)
UKIP 11% (-2)
LDEM 9% (-1)
GRN 7% (+3)

Isn't it surprising that that one interests you. Does this one?

The Populus figures
CON 33%
GRN 5%
LAB 36%
LD 8%
UKIP 14%

And while we're on Ashcroft, aside from his National polls being well out of line with the other pollsters and showing a consistent Tory lead, would you agree that in his constituency polls, he's been highly selective in not only which polls to study of late (there's an awful lot of Scottish constituency polls that have been released during the six-week election period, for instance), and those constituency polls that he's been releasing over the past month or so.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
PW: you must feel better after getting all that off your chest.
Phew,I am exhausted just reading it.Gave it a thumbs up.
I really do wonder if the hard left on this board really believe the bu----it they write.

You gave it a thumbsup because you know bullshit when you see it! :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
and this one too...

ICM/Grauniad (24-26th Apr):

CON 35% (+1)
LAB 32% (-)
UKIP 13% (+2)
LDEM 9% (-1)
GRN 5% (-)

This one I knew would interest you, what about this one also released today?
Populus poll gives Labour 3-pt lead

Populus has released a new poll it has carried out for the FT. Here is the FT write-up (subscription).

Labour is three points ahead of the Conservatives, according to a new poll by Populus which suggests that Tory attacks on Ed Miliband’s party have so far failed to dent his lead ...

But with only 10 days until polling day Labour is still at 36 per cent against the Tories’ 33 per cent, according to the poll by Populus, carried out between April 24 and 26. That is a slightly bigger lead than Labour’s 2 point advantage a week earlier ...

Populus still has Ukip on 14 per cent, far ahead of the Liberal Democrats on 8 per cent and the Green party on 5 per cent.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Do you get your numbers from a bingo machine? I remember a few weeks ago you were randomly plucking figures out the air and went strangely quiet when pressed on them.

When did i do that?

I was asked for an illustration of what it might cost. Personally, when there are lots of economists (and Ed Balls) saying that it would cost money then using an illustration based on costing what Labour says it would gain is fair. There are lots more spurious stats floating about there at the moment, on all sides!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Isn't it surprising that that one interests you. Does this one?

The Populus figures
CON 33%
GRN 5%
LAB 36%
LD 8%
UKIP 14%

And while we're on Ashcroft, aside from his National polls being well out of line with the other pollsters and showing a consistent Tory lead, would you agree that in his constituency polls, he's been highly selective in not only which polls to study of late (there's an awful lot of Scottish constituency polls that have been released during the six-week election period, for instance), and those constituency polls that he's been releasing over the past month or so.

A quick scan of http://lordashcroftpolls.com/ doesn't really bear that out IMO. Looks like quite an even spread.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
God forbid ...Labour at the purse strings AGAIN...With Nicola Sturgeon pulling Miliband and Balls one way,Len McClusky wrestling with her for control we will have a weak sop for a government,no wonder large companies are looking to move abroad (HSBC) to escape punitive taxes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you read it?

The QC, who admitted the Tories have a 'terrific record' on squeezing tax dodging, said his own calculations suggested the measure was likely to raise about £1billion, but there was a risk of a 'negative tax yield'.
Yes I read it. That QC is a Labour supporter who was advising Labour.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
God forbid ...Labour at the purse strings AGAIN...With Nicola Sturgeon pulling Miliband and Balls one way,Len McClusky wrestling with her for control we will have a weak sop for a government,no wonder large companies are looking to move abroad (HSBC) to escape punitive taxes.

The thought of Nicola pulling balls may get one or two people on here excited.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What does NSC think of the mansion tax?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the left love it, the right dont.

next.

though seriously with Block F remark reminding me, the main problem is it wont raise what's expected. apparently houses are already being split and the concession for older/low income people deferring payments means large chunks of the intended revenue will have to be borrowed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the left love it, the right dont.
But I'm just left of centre, and I don't like it. It's called a mansion tax, but it's really a tax on those that live in London and the South East.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But I'm just left of centre, and I don't like it. It's called a mansion tax, but it's really a tax on those that live in London and the South East.

yep, three bed terraces across London will be in, castles in Scotland out. you can see why the SNP love it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
yep, three bed terraces across London will be in, castles in Scotland out. you can see why the SNP love it.
It obviously doesn't effect me, it doesn't effect anyone I know. But it just doesn't seem right to me. Why should wealthy people in the south have to pay more tax than wealthy people elsewhere? They should pay based on their income, with something novel, like income tax.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

It seems common sense to me that when times are tough, those who have a lot more should pay more. I am at a loss to think how this could possibly be regarded as controversial but Britain is a strange place in this respect.
But on this, although I am not a Lib Dem, I'm actually with them on its policy of increasing the council tax bands but would charge more than it plans. It would be much more straight forward to implement and some commentators have said it might raise more money..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here