Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did I misunderstand the Cat 1 academy status, that allows us to go and get promising young players from lesser academies like Palace and take them on knock down prices?

More or less. If a player turns down an offer from the club he is registered at, that club is due compensation (payable by the new club) for every year that they have been at the club. For a player from a Cat 1 academy, it's 40K per year; for Cat 2, £25K per year; and for Cat 3 £12.5K.

A more significant thing is that players in Cat 1 academies play in the 'Premier League' of their respective age groups regardless of the status of the senior squad. Along with the better facilities that being Cat 1 entails, this should make a club like Brighton more attractive to the best young players.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
[QUOTE Our academy is a potential light at the end of the rainbow, but the trick is to keep everyone happy whilst these lads come through.[/QUOTE]

That's why we will fill in with the rental option (ie loans). Until that comes on stream like Southampton .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But Bournemouth are paying wages that we can't compete with, that's the key difference.

is that assumption or fact? ( i dont know)

and either way does a big wage make for a good player automatically? not exactly a band of household ex-premiership players lured down to Bournmouth, iirc alot of them have been there since L1. their top scorers came from Charlton and Coventry. so i dont buy this big wages argument. its a manager putting together a team that works better than the sum of its parts, a once a decade success story imo.

is that assumption or fact? ( i dont know)

and either way does a big wage make for a good player automatically? not exactly a band of household ex-premiership players lured down to Bournmouth, iirc alot of them have been there since L1. their top scorers came from Charlton and Coventry. so i dont buy this big wages argument. its a manager putting together a team that works better than the sum of its parts, a once a decade success story imo.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous towards Bournemouth here. Isn't their "success" the result of 2-3 years work with the same manager and back-up team during which time we've had four, including three in seven months at one point.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
:lolol:
I can't believe that this isn't part of Blooms well oiled plan.

Bloom's plan is to get Albion to the Prem because he's a lifelong Albion fan.
If his plan was pots of gold as some like implying then he'd be investing his millions in something else other than Championship Football clubs, stadiums and training grounds...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You don't mention wages, conveniently.......or kenwynne jones, who's reportedly costing plenty per week.........so no, it can't be done on the cheap IMO

Unless Bournemouth have increased their wage bill by £11m in 2 seasons , probably unlikely but not completely impossible, then they have a smaller wage bill than the Albion. Its a myth that that post Poyet Albion have slashed their football budget/ wage bill for players. They haven't. Its continued to go up and is far higher than this years miserable position indicates. Which aptly illustrates the point that spending big doesn't necessarily get you promotion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unless Bournemouth have increased their wage bill by £11m in 2 seasons , probably unlikely but not completely impossible, then they have a smaller wage bill than the Albion. Its a myth that that post Poyet Albion have slashed their football budget/ wage bill for players. They haven't. Its continued to go up and is far higher than this years miserable position indicates. Which aptly illustrates the point that spending big doesn't necessarily get you promotion.

Think we all got the point long before the twentieth time you mentioned it Pravda i.e. we're spending more than we did last year and the year before that :bla:.

The real point that you keep missing like a false economist is that the club is not keeping abreast with comparative market rates. Another season of the same penny-pinching will surely see us sink another couple of places in the division. Only there's only a couple of more places to sink before we're in League One.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Bloom has a balancing act to perform. Repeat this years recruitment failure, fan numbers will drop (is it 1901 renewals at the end of next season?) and we'll continue to spiral OR show some intent and create some enthusiasm for the club again. Our academy is a potential light at the end of the rainbow, but the trick is to keep everyone happy whilst these lads come through.

yep five year 1901s are up next year, I have six, three on five year and three for life, the five year ones will be going. that's much the same with many of the small businessmen around me.The difficulty is that the football has been so poor for two seasons now that no clients want to come to the game, therefore i'm making a cut. in respects to spending in the summer, just can't see it, we have top ten gates in the country plus television money, sponsorship , marketing etc but the money is just not there, somebody has bought TB the emperors new clothes and I can see him wearing nothing else. I fear we will not have much success in the summer as we are the strikers graveyard, bent couldn't wait to get out of here once he saw what was going on. I would say that the executive have ..cked up a good thing and now there will be consequences. lets hope we avoid the drop this season as its not yet a done deal!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
yep five year 1901s are up next year, I have six, three on five year and three for life, the five year ones will be going. that's much the same with many of the small businessmen around me.The difficulty is that the football has been so poor for two seasons now that no clients want to come to the game, therefore i'm making a cut. in respects to spending in the summer, just can't see it, we have top ten gates in the country plus television money, sponsorship , marketing etc but the money is just not there, somebody has bought TB the emperors new clothes and I can see him wearing nothing else. I fear we will not have much success in the summer as we are the strikers graveyard, bent couldn't wait to get out of here once he saw what was going on. I would say that the executive have ..cked up a good thing and now there will be consequences. lets hope we avoid the drop this season as its not yet a done deal!

Great post! :clap2:

The 1901 renewals year appears to be about the only thing that may kick-start proper levels of investment in the playing side of things. At least it should bring things to a head as to the future direction of the club. Either:

a) Scrub around in the Championship forever (until the club get it wrong one season and find themselves dumped unceremoniously into League One) or
b) Make a bold bid for the next level up

Which is it going to be TB? ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Think we all got the point long before the twentieth time you mentioned it Pravda i.e. we're spending more than we did last year and the year before that :bla:.

The real point that you keep missing like a false economist is that the club is not keeping abreast with comparative market rates. Another season of the same penny-pinching will surely see us sink another couple of places in the division. Only there's only a couple of more places to sink before we're in League One.

Ok fair enough.In which case i'm all ears on your thoughts on how much the football budget this season (in 2013/14 its reported to be £20.7m and TB insists it went up in 2014/15) should increase by next season to guarantee top 6 football, & keep pace with Champ wage inflation and other clubs with parachute payments etc.. 10%, 50% ??

Or is the real truth that Albion got very poor value for money this season from player recruitment despite having a competitive budget, suffered again from having no manager in place at end of the season, made the wrong decision to pick Hyypia as coach, and suffered from a year to 18 months of bad recuitment decisions. ie: all factors that had nothing to do with penny pinching or keeping up with wage inflation or not spending cash. Yet as far as i can tell you believe that is the single thing that is responsible for this club being 19th in the table is because Tony Bloom won't sign bigger cheques ? Is that it ?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Did bournemouth also reportedly bid 5M in January for Demarai Gray of Birmingham?? Doesn't sound too cheap........

I don't really see your point. Bournemouth are where they are with the players that I quoted in earlier post. Jones has signed recently and has also been on the bench. Gray has not played. So the primarily the cheaper players have got them where they are. All clubs make mistakes with big signings. In Bournemouth's case it is not the big signings that have got them where they are so YES again you do not have to spunk a load of money. Stop quoting Jones as an example he has only played a few minutes football for them for gods sake.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ok fair enough.In which case i'm all ears on your thoughts on how much the football budget this season (in 2013/14 its reported to be £20.7m and TB insists it went up in 2014/15) should increase by next season to guarantee top 6 football, & keep pace with Champ wage inflation and other clubs with parachute payments etc.. 10%, 50% ??

Or is the real truth that Albion got very poor value for money this season from player recruitment despite having a competitive budget, suffered again from having no manager in place at end of the season, made the wrong decision to pick Hyypia as coach, and suffered from a year to 18 months of bad recuitment decisions. ie: all factors that had nothing to do with penny pinching or keeping up with wage inflation or not spending cash. Yet as far as i can tell you believe that is the single thing that is responsible for this club being 19th in the table is because Tony Bloom won't sign bigger cheques ? Is that it ?

It is the standard simplistic response of fans of any club having a tough time since long before the time of Internet forums and fans would vent their frustration on local radio phone ins: 'chairman should get the cheque book out'. As you correctly say, it's not as straightforward as that, as more clubs than us have discovered both this season and in past seasons.

AFCB's total club wage bill in 2012/13 was £11m, BHA's was £21.1m but your basic point about the Albion's post-Poyet football costs is 100% on the nose (up 4% to £20.7m last season and this excludes player trading). AFCB's results for 2013/14 haven't been declared yet, our total wage bill decreased by £0.8m.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Club seems to me to be deeply dysfunctional at the moment. We're getting in the same kind of 'rags' we used to at Withdean while accepting cherry-picking raids on our best players (watch Premier League Bournemouth come in for Dunk and possibly Walton in the Summer). Why even bother with an academy when we've never had much intention of retaining talent? Where was the serious attempt at retaining Elphick and/or Cook who will both be Premier League players for Bournemouth next season, like Ulloa and Barnes and Murray before them. Sorry, but seems to me that, apart from their burgeoning property portfolio, the club remains pitifully Poundshop in their aspirations.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Club seems to me to be deeply dysfunctional at the moment. We're getting in the same kind of 'rags' we used to at Withdean while accepting cherry-picking raids on our best players (watch Premier League Bournemouth come in for Dunk and possibly Walton in the Summer). Why even bother with an academy when we've never had much intention of retaining talent? Where was the serious attempt at retaining Elphick and/or Cook who will both be Premier League players for Bournemouth next season, like Ulloa and Barnes and Murray before them. Sorry, but seems to me that, apart from their burgeoning property portfolio, the club remains pitifully Poundshop in their aspirations.

I am not sure that having a 20m a year playing budget is Poundshop. More like Marks & Sparks - we are getting the same stuff, just paying more for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here