Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Screw you, Sainsbury's

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I use " mysupermarket.co.uk " to compare prices (instantly) over the major supermarkets. It works a treat !

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Maybe you need to calm down. You are wrong 10 item instead of £20 now means that it works in your favour! Epic fail!

Fully recognised now and admitted. It's a pity the in-store staff I asked about this (having had the amendment explained to me by them when using a previously-earned discount voucher that the self-checkout wouldn't accept) got it wrong. They told me it was 10 items and £20 from 2nd June.

Oh for a NSC-er working at my local Sainsbury's. :p

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Most people don't shop exclusively at one place now, the retail landscape has changed. There's so many people i speak to that get some bits in one place, then pop to another for other items...fruit & veg in particular seems to divide opinion in terms of quality/value for money.

I know personally that most of my shopping is done at Sainsbury's (my staff discount is invaluable, plus i use the Nectar points to get money off when I can) but I top up at Morrisons (it's a 5min walk from me so is handy for bread/milk/other bits i've forgotten/dirt cheap stuff that's about to go out of date that we can eat that night/freeze etc).

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
They've gone from giving the 'comparison discount' when you spend £20, to only giving you the comparison discount when you spend £20 AND buy at least 10 different items.

e.g. Previously if you bought a bottle of Jack Daniel's at Sainsbury's for £21 and it was only £17 at Tesco, you'd get a 'store credit' voucher for £4 to spend at another time.

As of 2nd June, you'll get far-call, when your bottle of JD is £4 cheaper in Tesco unless you've bought 10 different items... so now you have to buy your bottle of JD, an onion, a carrot, a Brussels sprout, a cherry tomato, a bottle of basics water, etc. etc.

W4nkers. :rant:

I seem to recall that the government have recently sneaked through legislation unannounced which excludes alcohol from these sorts of comparison deals. I believe that 'reward' points are no longer given on or can be spent on alcohol. I think this came into force on 1 April this year.

I was handed a pice of paper yesterday but haven't read it yet about how the scheme is changing.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Times are hard for Britain's supermarket giants, for years they have been ripping us off quite merrily until Aldi and Lidl came along working to much lower profit margins. They're all sweating it now, Morrison's suddenly have cut loads of items in order to regain business, suddenly, loads of products can be sold cheaper. So it's good for consumers and bad for supermarkets and probably even worse for farmers and growers who are going to have their earnings slashed.

i think you may be being a little naive here...

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companie...start-of-supermarket-price-war/357292.article

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Maybe you need to calm down. You are wrong 10 item instead of £20 now means that it works in your favour! Epic fail!

Let me get this straight. So one used to have to spend at least £20 but know there is no minimum spend but at least 10 items must be bought. Right?
So, How on earth does it work in this poor chaps favour, when he HAS to buy ten items to get his discount? All he wants is a bottle of Cack?
I understand that the average shopper may be better off, but this guy will suffer.
Maybe he needs to buy 10 bottles at a time? ???

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I seem to recall that the government have recently sneaked through legislation unannounced which excludes alcohol from these sorts of comparison deals. I believe that 'reward' points are no longer given on or can be spent on alcohol. I think this came into force on 1 April this year.

I was handed a pice of paper yesterday but haven't read it yet about how the scheme is changing.

Don't think so.We buy a load of booze from both Sainsburys and Tesco and get Nectar and Clubcard points.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Let me get this straight. So one used to have to spend at least £20 but know there is no minimum spend but at least 10 items must be bought. Right?
So, How on earth does it work in this poor chaps favour, when he HAS to buy ten items to get his discount? All he wants is a bottle of Cack?
I understand that the average shopper may be better off, but this guy will suffer.
Maybe he needs to buy 10 bottles at a time? ???

Nope needs to be 10 different items so 1 bottle of booze and 9 other items, 1 apple, 1 banana etc.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah booze is pretty much all I buy from Tesco and I seem to get shitloads of points..... er.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Certainly the case at Asda , alcohol is excluded from the apg and staff discount no longer applies. Minimum unit pricing on alcohol means absolutely no reductions whatsoever and everything that could have been marked down in the past (damaged packaging or can(s) missing from multipacks) is now dumped as waste. Alcohol with a pricing error has to be scanned at checkouts without amendment and a refund given at the customer service desk or the sale has to be refused.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Certainly the case at Asda , alcohol is excluded from the apg and staff discount no longer applies. Minimum unit pricing on alcohol means absolutely no reductions whatsoever and everything that could have been marked down in the past (damaged packaging or can(s) missing from multipacks) is now dumped as waste. Alcohol with a pricing error has to be scanned at checkouts without amendment and a refund given at the customer service desk or the sale has to be refused.

I was mistaken it's not on booze in general but on spirits and liqueurs. It has something to do with the minimum pricing requirements!

confusing, as the minimum pricing on alcohol never happened, all my beer was discounted for 4 for 3 as normal this week. are you both in scotland ???

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
This minimum pricing must be a complex thing to enforce, what with constant discount vouchers, multi-buy discount and staff/pensioner discount cards. So long as it doesn't affect my port and lemon.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I was mistaken it's not on booze in general but on spirits and liqueurs. It has something to do with the minimum pricing requirements!

It is on strong Alcohol and liqueurs quite right it is the Duty + VAT regulations where Alcohol cannot be sold below this value.

They are, as far as Sainsburys is concerned, not included in Nectar Points or in staff discounts, think of the list they give you lottery tickets, postage stamps etc, they added to this list.

They are included in brand match but you cannot spend the brand match voucher on alcohol, so you will get a voucher but you will have to spend it on paracetamol to get rid of the headache :)

The regulations come into force? Midnight tonight! so you just have time to nip down to your 24 hour Tesco/ASDA etc to beat the legislation. (it was delayed)

Man responsible for it....... Norman Baker... yes the prat from Lewis!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...le-of-alcohol-below-the-cost-of-duty-plus-vat

Another poorly thought out law from your really incompetent demolition government.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here