Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I overheard a discussion between a couple of Southern staff on a train from Southampton late last night. One of them worked signals from what I could gather and was suggesting to his mate that they were considering joining the action and that Southern wouldnt be able to fight both of them.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
As this dispute, and its consequences, will be going on for some time I have a couple of questions that some of you "in the know" might be able to answer.

As I live in Southampton I catch the Southern service(!!?) to Brighton on Saturday match days. Now I am aware that during the week the Southampton - Brighton service has been suspended or severely curtailed. So my questions are :

1. Will there be a normal service from Southampton to Brighton on a Saturday? I have checked on Southern's on-line timetable and it appears there will be - I won't hold my breath.

2. If the schedule service is cancelled would I be allowed to travel, for example, on South West trains to Clapham Junction and from there to Brighton using a Southern ticket?

Many cheers.

I've already mentioned this on this thread, SWT are accepting Southern tickets via Clapham.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I overheard a discussion between a couple of Southern staff on a train from Southampton late last night. One of them worked signals from what I could gather and was suggesting to his mate that they were considering joining the action and that Southern wouldnt be able to fight both of them.

If one of them worked on signals he would work for network rail rather than southern.

They would not be able to join in for the same reasons as guards are fighting for, would have to be something separate not heard of any rumours that they are unhappy and balloting to strike.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£110 of delay repays through the door for that piss poor 2 week stint in June sweetens things up a bit

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seems like no resolution until the Government eventually hangs SASTA out to dry.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So this morning I got on the 8.27 which was delayed waiting for crew so joined the 8.33 this developed a fault at Haywards Heath. At this stage the 8.27 had caught up so I got back on that. Missed my planned for connection and now waiting for a delayed service.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The new timetable is obviously working like a dream on this first morning.

• Thameslink Brighton Mainline is running at 50% reliability (i.e. under 5 mins late), with 23% cancellations.
• Southern trains from Brighton to London running at 64% reliabilty - plus 27% up to 30 mins late.
• TBF - Coastway East and Coastway West are running at 91% reliability.

The whole of the GTR network is running at 74% reliability. 85% bar, with the majority of other franchises in the low-90s.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The new timetable is obviously working like a dream on this first morning.

• TBF - Coastway East and Coastway West are running at 91% reliability.

The whole of the GTR network is running at 74% reliability. 85% bar, with the majority of other franchises in the low-90s.

That's because there are no f***ing trains running...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If one of them worked on signals he would work for network rail rather than southern.

They would not be able to join in for the same reasons as guards are fighting for, would have to be something separate not heard of any rumours that they are unhappy and balloting to strike.

Southern do have Signaler's on their payroll so it's at least plausible .

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Seen this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...l-operator-warned-not-able-bid-new-franchises

The rail minister, Claire Perry, has warned the operator of the troubled Southern rail franchise it will not be able to bid for future franchises unless it improves its performance.

The London and south-east England service, which is ranked the country’s worst for customer satisfaction, has been beset by delays and cancellations caused by staff shortages and industrial action.

As Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR), Southern’s operator, introduces a month-long emergency timetable axing 341 trains a day on Monday, commuters were expected to demonstrate in Victoria station in London during the evening rush-hour in protest at the lamentable service.

Perry, who has been rail minister for two years, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, GTR would not be able to bid for other franchises unless it improved but stopped short of pledging to review its ownership of the Southern franchise.

“It’s been quite clear to me that companies who cannot deliver a good service, particularly over the things they can control, should not be bidding for new franchises and we need to be absolutely clear about that,” she said. “We need to ask serious questions about their performance going forward.”

GTR took over the Southern franchise last year, and rail performance statistics show the service has declined steeply. The company has blamed the delays on industrial action by members of the RMT union. The union in turn has blamed the disruption on poor management.

Southern passengers have complained about not getting home from work to see their children because services have been so unreliable and some claim they have lost their jobs.

Alex Prosser-Snelling, one of the organisers of Monday’s protest at Victoria, said: “We aren’t people who protest normally, but everyone’s fed up with the service. Southern mismanagement is needlessly wrecking passengers’ evenings, interfering with childcare and stressing out the workforce. Southern needs to get a grip – and if they can’t or won’t, the government shouldn’t let them run a railway.”

But Perry told Today: “Customers don’t actually care whose fault it is.”
Advertisement

She said the emergency timetable had already resulted in 95% of trains running on time and only 15% of services had been cancelled.

Perry said the failures were “collectively” the fault of the Department for Transport, GTR and Network Rail, which is responsible for the railway network.

“It was quite clear when I became minister a couple of years ago that the thinking behind the level of disruption when you’re doing a major engineering project about what it means to customers travelling today was not clear enough,” she said.

Perry said 65% of the failures on the Southern line were a result of the track, which is beyond GTR’s control.

She said GTR had handled industrial relations with the RMT union poorly, but would not commit to reviewing the franchise. “If I were to say today the department is to run the franchise, would anything change? The problems we’ve got are a major engineering works and a series of industrial actions, both of which would continue regardless of whose name is on the door.

“We’ve got to get the company and the unions to sort out their differences.”

The issue at the centre of strikes by Southern staff relates to changes to the role of guards from August. The RMT general secretary, Mick Cash, told the transport select committee there were genuine safety concerns over making drivers responsible for closing the doors on crowded platforms, rather than guards, and that there were insufficient guarantees over future staffing of trains.

A spokesman for GTR said: “We understand the strength of feeling among passengers, and their frustration at the poor service and increase in random cancellations since the dispute with the RMT began. That is why we are introducing the amended timetable from Monday to restore greater consistency in the short term so that passengers can plan around it.

“We are very sorry for the effect on our passengers and we are determined to provide the level of service they rightly demand. We will continue to do everything we can to bring this unnecessary industrial action, which is affecting the service so badly, to a close.”

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd like to know where she got the 95per cent running on time figure with the network currently at 73% on time, TL at around 40% and southern mainline/Gatwick express at 60-70% on time.

Even on a reduced timetable the service is running nowhere near on time. Still it is marginally less crap than before, so that's something I guess.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'd like to know where she got the 95per cent running on time figure with the network currently at 73% on time, TL at around 40% and southern mainline/Gatwick express at 60-70% on time.

Even on a reduced timetable the service is running nowhere near on time. Still it is marginally less crap than before, so that's something I guess.

The MP bit entitles one to spout as much bullshit as you like , in some extreme cases people actually fall for a MP's spiel and make life changing decisions based upon a complete fabrication , true not as serious as splashing beer on undercover policemen but pretty darn serious .

Yoda

English & European

Not only that, how can 95% be running on time, and 15% be cancelled? She's either very poor at maths or must think we extremely stupid.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hahaha! A genuine advert has just come up for a short-term train planner. "...The aptitude to creatively develop train slots"

2mg7cj7.jpg

https://gtrailwaycareers.com/templa...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here