Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things getting tetchy at 'Boro?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Genuine question - what would be the benefit to fans of knowing this information? Speaking personally, I don't feel that knowing how much we bought Gross has any significance other than satisfying my curiosity. I'm not trying to be clever here, honestly. I just fail to see the need for it.

A feeling that the game is relatively honest and transparent.

When you look at the cesspit of corruption that is FIFA, at the supine arse-licking of a lot of the media and at the greed and venality of agents, it's hard not to feel that supporters are constantly taken for idiots. Transparency about what their club are spending would go a small way to redressing that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't see the benefit myself - what difference would it have made if we had spent £15m on knockaert rather than the fee of approximately £2m which we paid for his services?

How would that change (for the better) the way fans take to and get behind new signings or do they carry on with what we have seen in the past and feel they are a cheap often and therefore not good enough for our ambition even though they are yet to kick a ball in anger for the club?

Can't we just judge players by what they do on the pitch rather than try to tie it into other factors like fees and wages, previous clubs played for... etc....

It's a fair point. The figures don't bother me particularly - nor what players are paid, as long as they do the business. Long given up caring that the sums are obscene comparatively as it's private money and largely speaking I don't feel we've reached the point where financial input as fans is entirely unreasonable. As it's TV money and the owner's dosh, spend what it takes without bankrupting the club.

However, I still think it is part of being a 'club' that these type of transactions are reasonably transparent even if that's a bit of a romantic notion nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here