Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not a problem mate. Really pleased for you.

NSC wooden spoon for me. Didn't want to mention it yesterday so you could tell your story. See you all at Phoenix where I'll be looking to take a couple of minutes off yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha. Same here. I saw where the wooden spoon went around 10:35 am yesterday on the live results page. Not my strong point keeping quiet but managed it.
Seeing Jesus Friday and if I get the go ahead will enter the Phoenix and try and get the wooden spoon from you. I don't want to just turn up for the beer..........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ha ha. Same here. I saw where the wooden spoon went around 10:35 am yesterday on the live results page. Not my strong point keeping quiet but managed it.
Seeing Jesus Friday and if I get the go ahead will enter the Phoenix and try and get the wooden spoon from you. I don't want to just turn up for the beer..........

It was all going swimmingly for the first 3/5ths. Story of my racing life :lolol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great day on Sunday, felt anything like running TBH after sitting up watching the events unfold in London until about 2am after getting back from another superb Levellers gig in Worthing. Picked up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and another mate as the trains looking a bit iffy! Parked up near the aquamarina and walked along to the start line.

My aim was for sub 50, I lost @Guiness Boy and the 50 pacer pretty much from the start, but kept them in my view for the first 4 miles. Felt really strong (but hot hot hot). Overtook @Guiness Boy who gave me plenty of encouragement to push on. I knew I was ever so slightly behind sub 50 so really pushed on from mile 5. Had to wait for the official text and was "over the moon" when it came in an 49.59.............YiiiiPPPPppppPPpppEEEEeeeeeeee. 572/2277.

My watch recorded it as exactly 50.00 but I was concentrating on crossing the line rather than stopping my watch :)

A big thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for all the support and encouragement.

Brilliant effort - well done!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Note to anyone thinking of doing the Worthing parkrun: Km markers are stencilled on the prom (in yellow). The trouble is that they are very easy to miss so you can't rely on seeing them. I hope no-one doing the 10k wasn't put off by them.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great day on Sunday, felt anything like running TBH after sitting up watching the events unfold in London until about 2am after getting back from another superb Levellers gig in Worthing. Picked up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and another mate as the trains looking a bit iffy! Parked up near the aquamarina and walked along to the start line.

My aim was for sub 50, I lost @Guiness Boy and the 50 pacer pretty much from the start, but kept them in my view for the first 4 miles. Felt really strong (but hot hot hot). Overtook @Guiness Boy who gave me plenty of encouragement to push on. I knew I was ever so slightly behind sub 50 so really pushed on from mile 5. Had to wait for the official text and was "over the moon" when it came in an 49.59.............YiiiiPPPPppppPPpppEEEEeeeeeeee. 572/2277.

My watch recorded it as exactly 50.00 but I was concentrating on crossing the line rather than stopping my watch :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1020528143

A big thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for all the support and encouragement.
View attachment 86057

Always good to beat your target by 1 second. Great effort.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If anyone fancies a 10k (or 5k) in Hove Park on Sunday 25th June to raise funds for Prostate Cancer research , have a look at this

https://www.themartlets.org.uk/Event/go-dad-run

New series of running events set up by Colin Jackson and supported by Mark Foster and others. Mark was down visting the Martlets Hospice a couple of weeks ago. Its a male version of the race for life, funds towards prostate cancer. Events spread across the year in Sunderland, London, Brighton & Hove, Worcester, Cardiff and Norwich. 5k and 10k events and you get a big pair of blue Y fronts to wear over your shorts (as well as a medal!).

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I used to do a 30 minute hill routine on the treadmill. Start with 5 minutes at 12%, 5 at 6%, 5 at 8%, then 4%, then 6 and finish on 3. Try and run as fast as you can but don't kill yourself the first couple of sessions as it's tough going but you'll get big rewards if you stick with it.

Well done to all Worthing runners sounds like s good day. Hope to make Phoenix my next 10k

Thanks for this, it's all well and good looking stuff up on the internet but hearing what actually works for REAL people is so much better.

My standard 3/4/6 mile local run has rises and falls of c80-130m as I cross Harrow and some days I can attack them and others I'm spent so need a viable way of training for it.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
First race in the Yateley 10k series tonight. I'm using this one as a sighter, seeing as I'm entered in all three races, as I want to see if my hamstring has healed up properly with rest (my only run in the last week or so being a slow 10k in Ibiza last week) and I reckon I'm a bit out of shape *ahem* after my all-inclusive holiday in the sun with the kids.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone else doing the South Downs Marathon on 17th June?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else doing the South Downs Marathon on 17th June?

Reminded me that the Weakest Link relay is 2 weeks today. Time to check out the teams. If anyone can't do it let us know. We have [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] ready to step in as first reserve. The teams are NOT ordered by times or Leg to be run. Order of leg run is down to each team. Usually fastest runner last and slowest runner first but current form, injuries and shitting out may change that.

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

The ego team is [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

The wooden spoon team is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (?) [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

The super egos are streets ahead of the egos at the moment. So team is set. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] , however, are fighting for the first leg in the ego team rather than the last two in the wooden spoon team. My recent best is 23:26 which puts [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] well ahead but a decent run in the next 10 days means I could get promotion. So Simgull watch your back and BEs brother let us know your current times.
Here's the link http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Reminded me that the Weakest Link relay is 2 weeks today. Time to check out the teams. If anyone can't do it let us know. We have [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] ready to step in as first reserve. The teams are NOT ordered by times or Leg to be run. Order of leg run is down to each team. Usually fastest runner last and slowest runner first but current form, injuries and shitting out may change that.

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

The ego team is [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

The wooden spoon team is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (?) [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

The super egos are streets ahead of the egos at the moment. So team is set. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] , however, are fighting for the first leg in the ego team rather than the last two in the wooden spoon team. My recent best is 23:26 which puts [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] well ahead but a decent run in the next 10 days means I could get promotion. So Simgull watch your back and BEs brother let us know your current times.

That's a strong super ego team there. I'm quite happy to do the first leg of the egos... :lol:

Looking forward to it. A great, fun event for anyone who's not done it before. Bit of hill work (some of it at speed) in preparation for it this morning. Lovely.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would have loved to but can't fit it in. It's brilliant!

I'd assumed you'd had your fill of the South Downs after last weekend, mate.

Course looks great – I'm hoping that it's as much fun as Beachy and not as brutal as Moyleman. Wishful thinking?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Still looking like a no for me, sorry. 70:30 chance of being stuck in Birmingham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd assumed you'd had your fill of the South Downs after last weekend, mate.

Course looks great – I'm hoping that it's as much fun as Beachy and not as brutal as Moyleman. Wishful thinking?

Lovely route - point to point from Slindon College, up on to the SDW then simply follow that to QE Park I think. There is a half marathon and a marathon relay usually going on at the same time, all very friendly and you'll find yourself running with people that are only doing 6/7 miles. You park at QE Park and they bus you down to the start - seems like a long way in a bus, let alone on foot. I think the start is staggered too (used to be anyway) - get on the early one if you can. Regular aid stations but will probably only have water, gels and jelly babies

The route doesn't have the most dramatic SDW climbs so it's not too bad. I would say it's more forgiving than Beachy or Moyleman - certainly my time have been faster on it by 20 mins or so typically, but still 30 mins off road marathon time.

As for having had enough of the Downs, I'm pacing a pal on the last section of the SDW100 on Saturday (night).......:moo:

Last edited:

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Yeah I'm still in, do I have to do anything to enter it?

bridge

Mar 16, 2011
Hi. Do any of you have Garmin that gives you the vo2 max reading and then race predictor times? If so, how accurate do you find them ?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I feel a bit of a charlatan posting about a mere 10k after all of the above posts... however my Yateley 10k series marker has been set at 39:49.

I got dipped on the line after a sprint finish by a lad who must have been at least twenty years my junior! (And then nearly hurled)...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm in for the weakest link. I intend to drink heavily between now and then but I can still beat those pussy's in the super ego team!

I'll be happy with any leg really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here