Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Good running Mr Age Grade Champion of NSC. A good weekend indeed.

If anyone wants to do the, now full, 1066 Way 17 miler next week give me a nod. I can give my race number away as this ****** rheumatism has taken up residency in foot, neck, knee and a finger.

I hope it starts to improve soon, disappointed for you not to be able to make the 1066 way.
After trying to keep up with you and failing at Hastings park run in the summer, I have no doubt you'll be back running soon.
I've been away from full on running due to injury so I haven't been following this thread due to frustration.
I'm still waiting for the expected no from London, which will help me make a decision on Brighton marathon.
I'm still not sure whether to concentrate on the shorter distances in order for an effort at a better marathon time in 2018
I'm back running now at a moderate pace, I will try to push on in the next month or so.

Jul 7, 2003
Congratulations to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] on his run in the Chicago marathon this weekend. A new PB of 3 hours and 5 minutes - he is getting faster as he gets older. More of a surprise when you consider his craft beer and wurst intake.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone else awaiting the London Marathon ballot results? 1 in 12 chance. Magazine 'Marathon News' comes through the letter boxes today. News in yellow you're in and in red you're out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuO3FjuXYAAP21h.jpg:small

I'm already in. Swerved the ballot and went straight down the charity route for a mob that were happy to take me there and then. Not too much of a ludicrous fundraising target either...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Congratulations to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] on his run in the Chicago marathon this weekend. A new PB of 3 hours and 5 minutes - he is getting faster as he gets older. More of a surprise when you consider his craft beer and wurst intake.

Ha ha. Thanks mate!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ha ha. Thanks mate!

That's a top effort, great run.

Another two weeks out for me though I now have some stretches to strengthen my left hip flexor once I can bend my knee a bit more. Annoyingly Paul definitely thinks it's a football injury and not a running injury. That'll teach me for being a big kid!

Good luck with your recovery [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] hope you're also back to normal soon.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I just heard that a mate of mine got a London Marathon place in the ballot - he might actually have to run a bit more now!

I took myself out for a little run yesterday after my enforced absence. The hamstring felt a little stiff still, but not painful, and I've had no issues with it today, so I think I'll try another little run tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done, HT. Cracking effort. There's a sub-3 in there somewhere, surely...?

Cheers. Sub-3 good question. Taking another 5 mins off my PB will be a challenge but, with the right circumstances, a fast course and some luck I reckon I could do it. It's something I'd really love to do.

Next race will hopefully be Tokyo but as its in February (I'm looking at 2018) I think winter training in Berlin will prohibit a fast time.

Watch this space.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Cheers. Sub-3 good question. Taking another 5 mins off my PB will be a challenge but, with the right circumstances, a fast course and some luck I reckon I could do it. It's something I'd really love to do.

Next race will hopefully be Tokyo but as its in February (I'm looking at 2018) I think winter training in Berlin will prohibit a fast time.

Watch this space.

Is Tokyo easy to get in to or is it a ballot / charity place with silly minimum raise effort?

It's been sort of on my radar as I lived there for 8 months and loved the place. The idea of taking the kids for a truly weird holiday, running a marathon and then recovering with as much ramen, sushi and Kirin Ichiban as I can find is pretty appealing and would probably make a good running / lifestyle / travel blog too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
So who's still standing for events this weekend?

I'm doing 1066 but feel hopelessly under-cooked - planning 9 min miles. Anyone else? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] I think.

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

I'm doing 1066 but feel hopelessly under-cooked - planning 9 min miles. Anyone else? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] I think.

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?

Not taking part in any events this weekend, but will be running the Great South Run in Portsmouth next weekend.

Good luck to anyone taking part in a run this weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is Tokyo easy to get in to or is it a ballot / charity place with silly minimum raise effort?

It's been sort of on my radar as I lived there for 8 months and loved the place. The idea of taking the kids for a truly weird holiday, running a marathon and then recovering with as much ramen, sushi and Kirin Ichiban as I can find is pretty appealing and would probably make a good running / lifestyle / travel blog too.

It seems to be the hardest to get into. It's wildly over-subscribed and I've done some initial research and the only options available to me seem to be a "semi-elite" qualifying time of sub 2:55 (for my age) or an expensive official travel package. I will ask around and see if there's any other routes in. I'll keep you posted.

PS my recovery method seems very similar to yours!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It seems to be the hardest to get into. It's wildly over-subscribed and I've done some initial research and the only options available to me seem to be a "semi-elite" qualifying time of sub 2:55 (for my age) or an expensive official travel package. I will ask around and see if there's any other routes in. I'll keep you posted.

PS my recovery method seems very similar to yours!

Cheers!

I thought it would be hard, the Japanese are crazy on running. I guess my hoped for 3.50.00 at Brighton aged 45 - even if I get it - ain't going to cut the mustard!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?

Take it really easy on Sunday. Any faster than 9" miles and you're mad. You need to fully recover. Enjoy the Battle all of you. I'll be last as a DNS.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?

I get the impression this is more of a run than a race with lots going on. Been looking forward to this one, I'll look out for you at the start.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Unlikely I know, but is anyone else doing the Toronto Waterfront Marathon this Sunday? I'm doing the half marathon distance, it's a nice flat course so I'm hoping for a decent time inside 1.45.

Two guys from my running group did sub 3 hour marathons last weekend, then turned up to a gentle 13k with us on Tuesday. Way to make me feel inferior!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Anyone doing BRIGHT10?

Yeah I'll be running it with my wife, should be fun.
Hopefully I'll see a few of you there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here