Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Views sought on upcoming Palace fixture

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Agreed. There has not been any real trouble for years. The whole planning for these games is totally over the top & heavy handed.

Maybe if you had witnessed the Palace lot parading up to Brighton station for the play-off semi-final and the literally hundreds of Albion trying to get at them (have a look at You Tube) you would know that organised policing prevented carnage.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Add my support to cancelling this ridiculous business of WS having to exit clockwise to get to the Coach park/P & R. Given that most in WSL are of a certain age it's a real pain for many. Surely with police and stewards the contra flow can be handled.

I'm not so sure.

Sunday was a nightmare; they had so few stewards doing the searches that the 5/6 queues at one point extended back to the ambulances so fans wanting the West Stand, and of course the away fans had to barge their way through the queues. Far from ideal. The NS stand manager was useless; standing at the back of the queue and chatting to one of her colleagues instead of piling in to help with the searches to clear the queues.

This is a recipe for disaster if they don't get the stewarding levels right and there is a repeat of the long queues of Sunday.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Yep. We tried treating them like human beings and it hasn't worked very well in their case. Do what they do to us when we go up there and treat them like animals. I know it's against our standard away policy which works very well but they are an excpetion and should be treated as such. Minimum they should be kept in for 30 minutes after the final whistle.

As one of the "animals" at the St Patrick's Day fixture I don't remotely recognise this as being the case. Not saying that bad behaviour from a few hotheads didn't occur, pretty certain that the vast majority of fans were just fine.

And the treatment that you describe is down to the Met, not Palace fans.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Making us turn right and walk clockwise round the stadium to get to the P&R queues was a right ball-ache previously and still resulted in us walking against a tide of Palace fans on the east side of the ground as they made their way to the station ! Surely if this approach is necessary then this should be in reverse and people asked to turn left and walk anti-clockwise so that everyone is walking away from the Palace fans heading to the station. I do think it is a very poor decision making this an evening game as it doesn’t allow the club to keep the Palace fans locked in for 30-45 mins after the game as that is exactly what they do to us at Smellhurst !

If trouble is to be avoided, the way to do it is to lock them in (as they do to do us). Edna, earlier in the thread, has ruled that out. So the practical, sensible option to prevent any potential trouble has already been dismissed.

So doubtless the seniors and less abled in the WS will have to go on the long hike. Putting Palace fans before our senior and less-abled fans is a bloody travesty. It's Palace that don't give a shit about their disabled supporters remember! We should be looking after ours.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
As another Palace fan has already said, it's a Police decision to hold or not hold back the away fans.
Regarding the hundreds of Brighton fans trying to get at the Palace fans, if they wanted to have a go, they could have.
Lots of posturing on both sides.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Can you ask Chris to leave at least one player up when we're defending corners please? Cheers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They are (https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/october/brighton-away-match-ticket-information/):

Before purchasing your ticket for this fixture please read these important security details and if you have any questions please contact the box office at Selhurst Park.

- Prior to entry to the Stadium you MUST be in possession of your original CPFC Season Ticket / Membership card – not a copy or a photograph

- Supporters purchasing tickets for this fixture will have their name written on their individual ticket.

- Before entry is allowed into the Amex Stadium security staff will be checking the name on each ticket and this has to match up with your season ticket/membership card (which must also be shown at the point of entry).

- If the name on the match ticket does not match your season ticket/membership card you will be refused entry into the stadium.

All of this should make a difference, however will it be properly policed? We all remember turning up at Palace with our passports and never having to show them.

All I'd sensibly add is keeping them behind for 30 minutes. Its the best way to deal with the around stadium type issues.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Whats the actual problem?

There is no real problem. If groups of supporters want to have a fight, it will be well away from the ground, the police and CCTV. Away fans with enough points to go to go to either match are very unlikely to be hardcore hooligans.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't think any of this is rocket science, just police the obvious flash points and hold them back until the crowds have died down. The vast majority of fans aren't looking for confrontation, just want to support their team.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's going to kick off whatever procedures are in place

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can you ask Chris to leave at least one player up when we're defending corners please? Cheers.

The obvious one if playing is Iziqueirdo left 1ft in our half in centre circle as nobody would ever catch him and the opponents would have to leave at least 2 men back goal side or even possibly 3.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest I wouldn't lock the palace goons in.

Just boot them onto their special train and out of dodge asap.

Problem then solved.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The whole idea of showing ID and proving who you are has potential disaster written all over it. If the stewards, police etc dither dather around when checking, there will be lots of angry people outside the ground come kick off.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ask the Police for a copy of their plan/deployments identifying any weaknesses or vulnerabilities in keeping both sides apart? :angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here