Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Free kick from 46 yards - stick it in the box?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
You're right. Few goals are scored from corners so it makes sense to play it short. According to The Numbers Game:

The data show that, on average, about 20.5% of all corners (that's 1 in 5) led to a shot by the team that took the corner within three touches of the ball. . . Of the corners that actually led to shots within three touches, what were the odds that the ball crossed the line? . . . On average, about 11% or 1 in 9 shots created from corners produce goals. Incidentally, that's also right around the average ratio for goals to all shots taken in soccer matches (the Reep ratio). . . The yield from corners ranges from 0 to .07. On average, the data show that a corner is good for (drumroll ....) 0.022 goals. This means that the average EPL team scores 1 goal from a corner about every 10 games. And this helps to explain the lack of a correlation between the number of corners and goal scoring. The infrequency of the goals from corners combined with a lack of dispersion between teams in corners per game lead conspire to make corners mostly, well, useless when it comes to scoring goals.

Thanks that’s exactly where I saw it as I still have the book on my IPad. Excellent read for the number crunchers amongst us!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that applies at any time in the game.
I can see there are some examples where you might not want to do it, like if you're 1 up with not too long to go, or you're against a fast counter attacking side, but 15 mins to go, 1-1 vs a team that weren't playing that well (SCC), I can't see why we wouldn't want a chance at scoring.

Sort it out Chris!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The data show that, on average, about 20.5% of all corners (that's 1 in 5) led to a shot by the team that took the corner within three touches of the ball. . .
Only looking at shots within three touches is a mistake IMO. If the ball bounces around in the box a bit, then goes in the net, that's a goal from a corner in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here