Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing your Joker on Krul.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Prob. Covered elsewhere but why with only one Joker left to play on the loan front and two strikers short did we play it on Krul? Are the club as worried about Ryan as some fans or is this just another naive cock up?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
life_is_cruel_joke_by_mjolnirmahkie-d56kve7.jpg

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It's not like TB & PB would have been unaware of the rule. They used it on Krul because all the remaining striker targets were permanent signing targets and they were fully focused on those; it's not like they could have gone after a loan signing after the last of these (Janssen) fell through; it was gone 11pm by then anyway.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's not like TB & PB would have been unaware of the rule. They used it on Krul because all the remaining striker targets were permanent signing targets and they were fully focused on those; it's not like they could have gone after a loan signing after the last of these (Janssen) fell through; it was gone 11pm by then anyway.

my thoughts exactly

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Seems a possibility we could have convinced Jansen to join on loan though but we'll never now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
FWIW, I don't think Ryan has inspired confidence in anyone, particularly the guys in front of him. The only alternative was last season's back up. Whereas Murray CAN finish if he gets a chance, Hemed takes an excellent penalty, Baldock will be ok-ish at this level and may well create space that our other attacking players need, Groß is playing number 10, Brown can and Murphy and Skalak have been used as emergency strikers in their career. So, while none of these is the 15 goal a season pacy unit we need we have far more utility options.

Reading between the lines I also think Ryan's confidence is f***ed.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8105064 said:
Seems a possibility we could have convinced Jansen to join on loan though but we'll never now.

I don't think that would have been an option - the deal notice (to get the 2 hour extension) was sent through with terms agreed with Spurs - a loan deal would be a different deal and so wouldn't be available after 11pm?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think that would have been an option - the deal notice (to get the 2 hour extension) was sent through with terms agreed with Spurs - a loan deal would be a different deal and so wouldn't be available after 11pm?

If you take the timing out the equation, then we may have been able to persuade Janssen to come on a year/half-season's loan. It may also have enabled us to go for Niasse at the last minute, despite turning him down beforehand. It would have left him in a better situation than he is now. I'm also not sure why we need Krul on loan when Newcastle could just as easily sold him as loan him to a direct rival.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
But we could have kept a loan option open, even been working one in tandem.

But what loan option? I get the impression that by the time we got to yesterday (especially by the time we signed Krul) that looking for new names had long stopped; we had the list and we were working down it - and everyone on it was a permanent target.

Yoda

English & European
From a Mag I work with yesterday when I told him he was Brighton bound: "And get him on a free when his loan expires. OK business for the Seagulls."

We may well be looking at longer term with Krul, sign him on loan for his last year of contract at Newcastle, then if he likes it here and there is mutual agreement, sign him up on a permanent deal at the end of the season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But we could have kept a loan option open, even been working one in tandem.

Then people would have whinged that we didn't utilise the loan option, so they really weren't gonna win.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
From a Mag I work with yesterday when I told him he was Brighton bound: "And get him on a free when his loan expires. OK business for the Seagulls."

We may well be looking at longer term with Krul, sign him on loan for his last year of contract at Newcastle, then if he likes it here and there is mutual agreement, sign him up on a permanent deal at the end of the season.

Reading his tweet, that could well be right. Lots of love for Krul and Hughton in the answers, on this thread.

https://twitter.com/TimKrul/status/903625564690546688

[tweet]903625564690546688[/tweet]

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
FWIW, I don't think Ryan has inspired confidence in anyone, particularly the guys in front of him. The only alternative was last season's back up. Whereas Murray CAN finish if he gets a chance, Hemed takes an excellent penalty, Baldock will be ok-ish at this level and may well create space that our other attacking players need, Groß is playing number 10, Brown can and Murphy and Skalak have been used as emergency strikers in their career. So, while none of these is the 15 goal a season pacy unit we need we have far more utility options.

Reading between the lines I also think Ryan's confidence is f***ed.

Jose Izqueirdo can play as a number nine too. He looks to be seriously pacey.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This is the biggest cock up. Whatever were club thinking in wasting 2nd loan player on a keeper that is unlikely to play when we havent even got enough forwards to put on bench. Explanation please club

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8105064 said:

Earlier on in the day Swansea were arranging a loan move for Jansen, pending Bony deal falling through....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here