Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastbourne Borough make the FA Cup 1st round

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wheres the 3 name change ??? They were Langney Sports and changed their name to Eastbourne Borough , that's 2 in my book Langney fc was when they were a park side set up by a youth club

Keep up FFS, read the thread, myself and [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] have already discussed this. :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the Corinthian League days, late 40s and 50s, there was 2 teams from Eastbourne being Eastbourne Town and Eastbourne United IIRC. Could they have derived from one of those.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
And boy was I drunk :drink:

:lol:
It was a good discussion, I found out I couldn't spell Langney :p

Seriously though I think [MENTION=17223]Neil[/MENTION] needs to have a word with whoever runs the official EBFC website, if Langney FC is mentioned on there and on Wiki people like myself are going to think they have had 3 names.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wasn't Eastbourne United a big club in perhaps the 50's, Ron Greenwood their manager and impressive crowds as well . ... ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In the Corinthian League days, late 40s and 50s, there was 2 teams from Eastbourne being Eastbourne Town and Eastbourne United IIRC. Could they have derived from one of those.

No, nothing to do with Town or Utd. Town have a very rich history, great club and ground, real old feel of non league. Eastbourne Utd have an equally rich history and managed by a good mate of mine. They can count ex West Ham and England manager Ron Greenwood amongst their managerial list. Much changed ground at the Oval. Look at old pics of the ground, it was huge! Utd did merge with Shinewater Association some years back, hence the change in name. Langney Sports/Eastbourne Borough didn't have anything to do with either and are somewhat scorned by Eastbourne die hards.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Oh OK so a little tiown like Eastbourne has 3 senior football teams where most struggle to have 1 decent one.

Incidentally what happened to STAMCO who Steve Gatting joined when he retired from full time.

The benefactor pulled the money out and they eventually folded in 2004. I remember in the late 90's watching the 'Hastings derby' in the Southern Premier division. Hastings battered them and Gatting played.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So we've established that Eastbourne Borough, evolved from previous incarnations, have reached the first round proper.

I'm rather pleased about this. I always joked about Eastbourne residents and yet I expect to retire there. There is a sub-conscious preparation going on as I seem to be most pleased at their good fortunes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just looked at the teams in their Division and it seems like it is what was the old County League 2 or 3.

Sussex County Football League became the Southern Combination Football League, it was either that or be gobbled up by the FA, they had no choice. They also made Div 1 the Premier League (stroke of unequalled original thought). As it stands all Combination League sides are Sussex based. However, no longer being the Sussex County League opens it up to those outside the county boundaries, so clubs like Redhill and Dorking Wanderers can join... oh hang on. I hope this explains why your search showed the Sussex County League reborn.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Incidentally what happened to STAMCO who Steve Gatting joined when he retired from full time.

The benefactor pulled the money out and they eventually folded in 2004. I remember in the late 90's watching the 'Hastings derby' in the Southern Premier division. Hastings battered them and Gatting played.

For anyone interested in the history of STAMCO/St Leonards Stamcroft/St Leonards, there is a documentary currently being put together:-

[TWEET]781774717355171844[/TWEET]

Just 18 years ago, they were playing Burton Albion in league action:-

[TWEET]781019969115025408[/TWEET]

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Dodgy sending off on 25 mins we hit post and bar and 90th min sucker punch goal .Well done Boro,The only plus point 16 year old Idris Kanu scored for us he is a great player who we'll lose for peanuts.

Ha - you make that sound like he has developed through your academy - he only signed 8 days ago!

In fact, it is a very strange signing. He was with West Ham from the age of 11 (and appeared for the Hammers' U-18s against Albion as an U-15 schoolboy and made his debut for their U-21s at the Amex in November last year). He didn't sign a scholarship with them for this season (presumably because he turned it down, rather than not being offered one). He went on trial to Manchester United in September and scored 2 goals for the U-18s against Middlesbrough.

However, he trains with Aldershot for two weeks and then signs a contract to the end of next season (I see that Aldershot's assistant manager James Rowe was the Hammers' assistant academy director and that Rowe's father is Kanu's agent).

I would be interested to know what his thought process has been through all of it.

Edit: did a little googling and found this - it seems a little, er, murky...... - ExWHUEmployee Transfer Exclusive: Idris Kanu’s move explained

The Argus are reporting today that Albion are monitoring "Shots starlet Kanu" :sick:

Meanwhile, Albion are tracking Aldershot whizzkid Idris Kanu. The Seagulls have been following Kanu for the last two months as part of their ongoing attempts to improve the quality of the squads at development level. Championship rivals Wolves and Reading are also hot on his trail, together with Crystal Palace. ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here