Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The competition increases. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] beat my best time at 5k over the last year by 2 seconds today and has now beaten me at every distance over 12 months. You lot haven't heard the last of me. I don't run to lose although I always seem to!
Had a pleasant return to Hove Park today. Nice work out and thanks Greg Bobkin for pacing slowly so I could come past you. 24:30.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Lovely conditions at Hove Prom this morning add this to the pacers from Arena 80 and it was pb heaven today.

I pushed myself pretty hard today and managed to overtake five runners in the final 400 metres to secure 6th place in 18:48 a pb by 8 seconds.

Good running from [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and mrs simgull who both produced pb's too.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1024263053

Excellent running - I think it was one of those days, as I also had a great run and got a PB at Preston Park today, by 5 secs. As an old man in the VM60-64 category, it's much slower than yours, at 22:22, but it gives me an age adjusted % of 71.68% which I'm pretty pleased with.
All set for a massive win at the Amex this afternoon, methinks.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Never contributed to this thread, but thought I'd post as over the past couple of days I have started running again having been twiddling my thumbs for 2 months after tearing a ligament in my ankle. The relief is palpable. I tend to run in Port Meadow in Oxford which is truly breathtaking if a bit wet and boggy when it rains. I used to favour the treadmill but became very bored of it and I can't see myself going back from running in the great outdoors. Can anyone recommend any decent apps or even just general guidance for this? Very much a rookie.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes great conditions and delighted to set a new 5k pb of 20:21. Kept up with the 20 min pacer until half way and then just tried to keep going. The pacer finished in 19:44 so no wonder I could n't keep up. Well done [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and Mrs simgull as well of course. Had a bit of a panic at the end when I was convinced I had not collected a finish token only to find it in my glove - must have been in shock crossing the line.
Well done everyone else -sounds good all round- [MENTION=592]Albion Robster[/MENTION] were you wearing a blue BHA training top? Will say hello next time.
Really enjoyed the match this afternoon and now to round it off a curry in the Ganges which may not help the planned two hour long run in the morning!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Never contributed to this thread, but thought I'd post as over the past couple of days I have started running again having been twiddling my thumbs for 2 months after tearing a ligament in my ankle. The relief is palpable. I tend to run in Port Meadow in Oxford which is truly breathtaking if a bit wet and boggy when it rains. I used to favour the treadmill but became very bored of it and I can't see myself going back from running in the great outdoors. Can anyone recommend any decent apps or even just general guidance for this? Very much a rookie.

Welcome - you'll get lots of good advice on here. Running Apps Strava probably the most popular - search for North Stnad Chat and you'll find some familiar names and some you'll have to use powers of deduction to work out who they are.
Parkrun very popular for 5k, couch to 5k if you are looking to get up to that distance, I'll let others add more....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

If you find yourself getting into the habit of going out regularly then well worth buying a Garmin GPS watch, it's a good way to track progress. Also sign yourself up for races or get down to a Park Run, competitive running is a great motivator.

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
Bit of advice required please.
Have been carrying a tight Achilles for a week now, did park run today and 3k in it started giving me a fair bit of grief, stupidly I finished and now it's quite painful (say 4 out of 10) even when I am laying down with it elevated.

So the question is do I:
A)stay off it and see how it goes
B)pop to A&E tomorrow
C)go to quacks on Monday

Reason for asking is that I am entered for BHM, Eastbourne HM, Hastings HM and BM2016 so ideally I want to be up and about asap.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have been carrying a tight Achilles for a week now, did park run today and 3k in it started giving me a fair bit of grief, stupidly I finished and now it's quite painful (say 4 out of 10) even when I am laying down with it elevated.

So the question is do I:
B)pop to A&E tomorrow
C)go to quacks on Monday

Reason for asking is that I am entered for BHM, Eastbourne HM, Hastings HM and BM2016 so ideally I want to be up and about asap.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Get ice on it. Frozen peas, ice cubes or wine cooler. 10-15 minutes every hour. Don't go to A&E or GP, will take months for anything to be done.
If any improvement start gentle stretching. Search calf stretch.
Still a problem go to a sports injury person or physio.
Good luck!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

So the question is do I:
B)pop to A&E tomorrow
C)go to quacks on Monday

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bad news Bill. I claim no expertise but I am a fellow sufferer - I think many of us have had similar. I've had a few parkruns which I've not completed because of the Achilles.
My view is that b) (A&E visit) would be pretty pointless. I'd also personally not bother with c) until you've given a) a chance. I think the medical advice will start with 'rest'.
Sadly you might have to revise your race schedule; that's a pretty heavy workload you have you sights on and the thought of running that lot with an inflamed Achilles is actually making me wince from here.
I read somewhere that tendons take a lot longer to heal than muscles.
Sorry to be so negative, but I had about 2 years of being unable to walk down stairs properly and the root cause of this was training and competing through the pain/discomfort.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Get ice on it. Frozen peas, ice cubes or wine cooler. 10-15 minutes every hour. Don't go to A&E or GP, will take months for anything to be done.
Good luck!

This, all of it, especially the physio bit to get a correct diagnosis.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Good luck!

This. Esp the sports injury person.. Also after all the ice and rest, think about a foam roller on the calfs..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes great conditions and delighted to set a new 5k pb of 20:21. Kept up with the 20 min pacer until half way and then just tried to keep going. The pacer finished in 19:44 so no wonder I could n't keep up. Well done [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and Mrs simgull as well of course. Had a bit of a panic at the end when I was convinced I had not collected a finish token only to find it in my glove - must have been in shock crossing the line.
Well done everyone else -sounds good all round- [MENTION=592]Albion Robster[/MENTION] were you wearing a blue BHA training top? Will say hello next time.
Really enjoyed the match this afternoon and now to round it off a curry in the Ganges which may not help the planned two hour long run in the morning!
I've just had a curry too, and am planning a similar run out tomorrow. A non-pb parkrun for me today, followed by an up and down of WD this morning.

Calves still aching, but feel fine when I run. I presume it'll be OK?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm back. 26 miles this week. Slowly catching up with the schedule. 10 miles in 1:32. No Woodland Drive, No King George VI Avenue, No King George VI Drive, nor even Snakey itself. Flat along the seafront, up and down any slopes, up Dukes Mound and over the Marina.got to get into everything gradually.
Never seen so many runners on the prom without it being an organised event.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have been looking at the NSC Strava and notice there is a Stuart B. Up in front for mileage. This isn't me. Who Shares my Christian name and surname initial?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
24km/15mile sea front plod this morning in 2 hrs. Agree [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] the seafront was flooded with runners. I guess it's Worthing/Brighton half training.

I believe Pembury is your Strava namesake -right [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must've got out early then because there was hardly anyone around. 11.5 miles of effort though. Heavy legs this morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
24km/15mile sea front plod this morning in 2 hrs. Agree [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] the seafront was flooded with runners. I guess it's Worthing/Brighton half training.

I believe Pembury is your Strava namesake -right [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]?

That's 3:30 marathon pace. You must have manufactured some PEDs in the labs at work. How can I ever catch you if you keep running faster and faster.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
That's 3:30 marathon pace. You must have manufactured some PEDs in the labs at work. How can I ever catch you if you keep running faster and faster.

My target is 3:40 for London this year- using the classic 1.06*t*d1/d2 formula that would put me at 3:43 so a bit to go before 3:30 is in range. As usual though first target is to start , then to finish, thirdly finish with a smile on my face and fourthly hit target time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here