Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL investigating AFC Wimbledon for 'disrespecting' MK Dons last night

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fundamentally disagree
They stole another club's name (Dons) and heritage (they actually kept their FA Cup)
Nothing less than they deserve

Not even Rangers v Celtic stoops that low

After two years in Milton Keynes all the trophies won by the former Wimbledon FC, including the FA cup were signed over to Merton Borough Council.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Every time Millwall host Palace they deliberately play 'Living Next Door To Alice' (sometimes twice) in the build-up, and the whole ground shout along 'Who The F**k Are Palace'. It's hilarious.

Not sure they do anymore. Quick google search would seem to suggest they were stopped doing that as far back as 2004. Shame though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldnt argue with that it was just the then Chairman of Wimbledon FC Sam Hamman selling his sole to any town that would have them. He approached Guildford to build a ground at The Spectrum and become Guildford Dons, but the council turned him down.
I remember talk of Hamman wanting to go to Dublin. He was mad.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely we don't have to look far to see an example of a club in trouble and moving out of town. So 20 years ago BHA could have moved as a club to (pick any town) Slough. Slough Albion become the newest club in the fourth tier. Meanwhile Whitehawk (purely as an example) become AFC Brighton. 20 years on they meet, how would you feel as a die hard Albion fan now a die hard AFC fan?
Just an example but in reality it could have happened.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's done is don(e). Banter between the fans is one thing but for the officials of AFC to deliberately disrespect another team is out of order especially as they had been warned before.
I'm with Wimbledon. Whether or not they've been warned before is not relevant.

What if Celtic did the same to Rangers and there was trouble at an already tense game.
But this isn't Celtic vs Rangers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
MK need to lose the Dons tags altogether and stop upsetting people. How about the MK Tigers?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
You are right. In many ways MK refers to itself as a city from the original planning documents, through the existence of the development corporation and in many building names etc. to this day. No doubt it will at some stage be granted city status.

Elgin City and Brechin City would be similar anomalies

This is wildly off topic but Elgin was a city before 1975, and Brechin has an. Anglican cathedral. Which is probably why.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Possibly. Reserve judgement although, of course the rules have changed to prevent the same thing happening again. It could have been us but we had the advantage of a council that helped us secure a new home whereas Merton, at the time, were apparently not so accommodating.

That said, it's not about what I think or say. As I said the fans can keep up the banter/grudge but the club itself can't disrespect their opponents. We don't do it to Palace, Soton don't do it to Portsmouth etc etc.

Try and differentiate between what fans do and say and what a professional club should do or say!

Their anger should be directed towards the Merton Council and not MK Dons imo, it was thanks to them that the club was unable to return to their home borough and ended up seeking a permanent location away from the area

If we had been unable to return to Brighton after ground-sharing with Gillingham, what would happen, should we have permanently relocated to another town or should we have just gone bust instead?

I fundamentally disagree
They stole another club's name (Dons) and heritage (they actually kept their FA Cup)
Nothing less than they deserve

Not even Rangers v Celtic stoops that low

Celtic and Rangers is a very different situation, they were never claiming to be the same club, they never had fans that supported one before the other was created.

Regarding the history and trophies Wimbledon had won, MK Dons have the right to claim them but decided not to to remove an area of contention and therefore ill will towards them and also as a sign of respect towards the Phoenix club and fans of the old Wimbledon club who (wrongly) claimed that they should have been a part of their history instead.

It would be a bit like FC United of Manchester trying to claim the Man U trophies when they set up their protest club against the Glaziers.

MK Dons shouldn't have arisen as they did, but the blame lays with the football authorities and Merton Council for creating the circumstances that led to their relocation and not getting them back to their home borough whilst ground-sharing with Palace.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Their anger should be directed towards the Merton Council and not MK Dons imo, it was thanks to them that the club was unable to return to their home borough and ended up seeking a permanent location away from the area

If we had been unable to return to Brighton after ground-sharing with Gillingham, what would happen, should we have permanently relocated to another town or should we have just gone bust instead?

Celtic and Rangers is a very different situation, they were never claiming to be the same club, they never had fans that supported one before the other was created.

Regarding the history and trophies Wimbledon had won, MK Dons have the right to claim them but decided not to to remove an area of contention and therefore ill will towards them and also as a sign of respect towards the Phoenix club and fans of the old Wimbledon club who (wrongly) claimed that they should have been a part of their history instead.

It would be a bit like FC United of Manchester trying to claim the Man U trophies when they set up their protest club against the Glaziers.

MK Dons shouldn't have arisen as they did, but the blame lays with the football authorities and Merton Council for creating the circumstances that led to their relocation and not getting them back to their home borough whilst ground-sharing with Palace.

Thanks - good points

However, I was making the same point about Rangers / Celtic by replying to a previous poster who tried to compare the two situations, which you and I agree are totally different

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks - good points

However, I was making the same point about Rangers / Celtic by replying to a previous poster who tried to compare the two situations, which you and I agree are totally different

I never claimed that the Rangers/Celtic situation is anything like MK and AFC. The point I was making was that a professional club needs to show professional courtesy to other professional clubs irrespective of what has happened before. What goes on between fans is entirely different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here