Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Train drivers employed by Southern railway are planning to escalate their long-running dispute by refusing to work overtime.
Members of the Aslef drivers' union will ban overtime from the end of May, the union has announced.
The move comes as members of another rail union, the RMT, prepare to stage a new 24-hour strike in their own dispute over driver-only-operated (DOO) trains.
Aslef rejected the latest deal with Southern in April.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How many accidents have their been since DOO introduced .

What they striking for , its over and trains largely back to the shit service of before ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Train drivers employed by Southern railway are planning to escalate their long-running dispute by refusing to work overtime.
Members of the Aslef drivers' union will ban overtime from the end of May, the union has announced.
The move comes as members of another rail union, the RMT, prepare to stage a new 24-hour strike in their own dispute over driver-only-operated (DOO) trains.
Aslef rejected the latest deal with Southern in April.

Oh joy............
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...y-as-union-resumes-overtime-ban-a3541271.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39949282

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The RMT strikes are a waste of time now. The service is better on those days than normal ones.

The last ASLEF overtime ban also improved reliability. Granted there were fewer services running but they seemed to stick to the revised timetable a lot closer than the normal one. In fact I don't recall a single cancellation other than the planned ones. Which when you know about them are easy to work around.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The RMT strikes are a waste of time now. The service is better on those days than normal ones.

The last ASLEF overtime ban also improved reliability. Granted there were fewer services running but they seemed to stick to the revised timetable a lot closer than the normal one. In fact I don't recall a single cancellation other than the planned ones. Which when you know about them are easy to work around.

the east coast line was total shite last time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Every railway worker should bloody well be ashamed of themselves if they strike AGAIN. They had a go at making their point. They lost because DOO work just fine. Admit defeat graciously and don't throw the South back into utter turmoil again. Bunch of wankers.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Plainly it does not work safely everywhere
Thats why they are striking Again
A question for ERNEST
Are Southern run by management now as opposed to old time served staff who worked their way up the ladder

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
noticed Southern site is saying the OBS are striking on 30/5 as well as the guards

confused, there are no guards any more...

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Why afraid so? Surely the future is completely automated transport with jobs moved from unskilled areas into more highly skilled areas like engineering and computer science who would maintain and improve the systems controlling the transport.

The Company isn't bothered about safety .... clearly

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Strikes by RMT suspended.....

RAIL union the RMT have called off planned industrial action which was due to take place at the end of the month.

Members of the union had planned to walk out on strike on Tuesday May 30 as part of its on-going dispute with Southern Railway.

It centres on having a second safety critical member of staff on board every service in addition to the train's driver.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “In light of the horrific bombing in Manchester last night, and the heightened safety and security alerts on our transport services, RMT’s executive has taken the decision to suspend the 24 hours of strike action scheduled for Tuesday 30th May on Merseyrail, Northern Rail and Southern Rail.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The Company isn't bothered about safety .... clearly

The RMT are the only group who i have heard that keep playing this so called safety aspect, these trains have been used throughout the country for some time without problems and the Victoria/Gatwick service was one of them however as soon as this stock continued on to Brighton then suddenly it was a safety problem.
It is obvious that the Ministry of Transport do not share the unions views which makes 12 months misery for passengers a complete and utter disgrace

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The RMT are the only group who i have heard that keep playing this so called safety aspect, these trains have been used throughout the country for some time without problems and the Victoria/Gatwick service was one of them however as soon as this stock continued on to Brighton then suddenly it was a safety problem.
It is obvious that the Ministry of Transport do not share the unions views which makes 12 months misery for passengers a complete and utter disgrace

you obviously don't listen to much then!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The RMT are the only group who i have heard that keep playing this so called safety aspect,

I guess you suffer from selective deafness then.

these trains have been used throughout the country for some time without problems and the Victoria/Gatwick service was one of them however as soon as this stock continued on to Brighton then suddenly it was a safety problem.

So what? David Stockdale is a professional footballer, but I'm not sure he makes a particularly good winger. You're wrongly assuming a 'one-size fits all' approach to DOO, the same a Southern / DfT. A very dangerous way of thinking.

The example you give is irrelevant.

Bearing in mind this was an unnecessary fight picked by the government on the trade unions (don't just take my word for it - the openly admittted it), that's probably right. The government has not only gone out of its way to cause the problems, it's also gone out of its way to stop the resolution to the problems - not all of which are to do with safety.

Still waiting for the Gibb Report to come out which has sat on the shelf since January. It is, apparently, highly damning of GTR and Southern, but truly lays into the DfT. Sadly, it may never see the light of day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here