Shite wages
Homeless galore
Druggies galore
Run down areas
Festival freaks
Students

Then Brighton is the place to be :)

I've been to Reading for two reasons:

The f*cking massive 100,000+ annual festival that's held in Reading and to visit my mate who's at University in Reading.

Seems weird to bring them up as reasons to prefer Reading to Brighton.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Absolute no mark club. Nobody would miss them if they were relegated and there's not a division in professional or even amateur football that would be glad to have them.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Recently on this forum I have noticed a growing number of comments suggesting that Reading FC are in some way a club to aspire to, ‘likeable' or even a ‘big club’.

Can I remind fellow NSC users that I am one of several Albion fans, who through no fault of their own and for reasons out of their control, live in Reading.

It’s bad enough having to wave goodbye to any worthwhile culture and mix with this dump’s born and bred, without the suggestion that the town’s football club is one to be admired.

Reading FC may have had a good couple of seasons and they do have a relatively large stadium. But trust me, at heart the club and its fans are still the lower league, Elm Park, chip on the their shoulder small timers they ever where, pathetically followed by a misguided group of frankly unnerving-looking supporters.

I’m not necessarily expecting an apology, just some understanding that what is a convenient away day for you, is a constant sense of disappointment to me, and others.

Your support would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dale Jasper

I'm shocked by this.

Please can we ban anyone who says that Reading FC is a club we should aspire to be like.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I've been to Reading for two reasons:

The f*cking massive 100,000+ annual festival that's held in Reading and to visit my mate who's at University in Reading.

Seems weird to bring them up as reasons to prefer Reading to Brighton.
Yes that's called a festival and it's one weekend a year and that means the rest of the year it's festival free.
Point is Brighton is the festival goer capital and reading is clearly not.
Yes reading has a university,but Brighton has a lot lot more students.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Yes that's called a festival and it's one weekend a year and that means the rest of the year it's festival free.
Point is Brighton is the festival goer capital and reading is clearly not.
Yes reading has a university,but Brighton has a lot lot more students.

"Festival Goer Capital" any proof of this? Literally anything at all to back this up? Or is it you doing what your famed for and spouting absolute bollocks?

How do you tell somebody in a student compared to say, a normal young person working at an office/as a labourer/any other job?

Not trying to cause an argument, just trying to understand the logic behind your comments.

Feb 14, 2010
I am very neutral on Reading. Nothing for or against them. I think of them as a smaller club than us as they are not very well supported.

Same here. I went to Elm Park to see the Albion. As usual we were shit but we still had more at the game than they did. About an 8000 crowd and we had around 4000. No idea how anyone could dislike them at all, never mind remotely think of them as a rival. Palace, Pompey and then the random clubs who hate us like Chesterfield, Southend, Orient and with a bit of Luton, and Chelsea thrown in but Reading but er just no. I think they would now make a good rival fr palace these days tho, plastic fans, drums and goal music. They can call it the drumming derby.

Nov 27, 2009
Funny that, because that is the opinion a lot of people supporting other clubs have of Brighton. Think about it; a club that has a large stadium, that once played at withdean, in front of 6000 crowds. A club with a huge chip on its shoulders, that feels it has a devine right to play in the premier league. Crowds that go up dramatically, from 6000 to 26000, with a little success.
That is almost exactly what you are levelling at Reading.

Recently on this forum I have noticed a growing number of comments suggesting that Reading FC are in some way a club to aspire to, ‘likeable' or even a ‘big club’.

Can I remind fellow NSC users that I am one of several Albion fans, who through no fault of their own and for reasons out of their control, live in Reading.

It’s bad enough having to wave goodbye to any worthwhile culture and mix with this dump’s born and bred, without the suggestion that the town’s football club is one to be admired.

Reading FC may have had a good couple of seasons and they do have a relatively large stadium. But trust me, at heart the club and its fans are still the lower league, Elm Park, chip on the their shoulder small timers they ever where, pathetically followed by a misguided group of frankly unnerving-looking supporters.

I’m not necessarily expecting an apology, just some understanding that what is a convenient away day for you, is a constant sense of disappointment to me, and others.

Your support would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dale Jasper

Feb 14, 2010
Funny that, because that is the opinion a lot of people supporting other clubs have of Brighton. Think about it; a club that has a large stadium, that once played at withdean, in front of 6000 crowds. A club with a huge chip on its shoulders, that feels it has a devine right to play in the premier league. Crowds that go up dramatically, from 6000 to 26000, with a little success.

Why use Withdean and not Gillingham. Assume you are too young to remember the 34000 we could pull for Rochdale at the Goldstone. Nothing like that at Reading or your place for that matter. Whilst on the subject, I remember Oxford singing "Hark now here.. the oxford sing, the Brighton run away.." at the Goldstone. After a silence in the North Stand, then a bit of laughter, Brighton replied Hark now here the Brighton sing, the palace run away again..". Sounds like Oxford never got over it.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Divine right to play in the Premier League, I don't think so, you sure you're not confusing us with Derby County? Who are these 'a lot of people' you speak of and have they spoken to all of our fans or just read a half dozen posts on an internet forum?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Yes because the good old withdean era is where it all began. And yes, we conjured up another 20k fans in one promotion to the 2nd tier of english football.

You're either very young or very stupid. Could be both I suppose.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Chip on our shoulders? Says the Oxford fan with over 200 posts on a Brighton forum ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here