Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] For the ex or serving navy boys and girls on here.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
The Union flag is flown on the Jack staff hence being called the Union Jack. That is on the Bow of the ship, but only when alongside.
The White Ensign is flown at the rear (stern) of the ship at all times.
As for the smaller flags, you need to ask a Bunting (steady on [MENTION=34159]Hampden Park[/MENTION] )

Hampden, you were a sparker but did you learn anything about the flag waving?

Thank you TB.

size 4 white ensign on the main mast at sea.
when at anchor, union jack on the pointy end and a size 10 white ensign (normally) on the blunt end, this is the same when in harbour (alongside). cannot answer the question regarding other flags flown when in foreign ports as i was either on watch or on the piss. WAFU's will not be able to answer this as they were already ashore hours before we docked polishing their budgies.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
further to the above, various flags or pennants would be flown depending on what the ship was doing at the time. they could have had flying operations, RAS's, OOW manoeuvres, man overboard, divers down etc etc etc etc. numerous occasions for other cloths to be flown.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
When we surfaced after our 3 month Patrol just off Ireland , we had a bus stop sign on the casing with about 10 lads forming a que behind it
Made a great photo for the Nimrod that flew over us

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
and to rid your boat of any foul air that may have collected over that time :D

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Leaving Pompey during quite a windy day on the old Ark, was thrilled to have to return a flag salute from a sailing boat with a hanky sized flag. Twats.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When we surfaced after our 3 month Patrol just off Ireland , we had a bus stop sign on the casing with about 10 lads forming a que behind it
Made a great photo for the Nimrod that flew over us

Without divulging any national secrets... what was the point of a 3 month submarine patrol just off Ireland?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
and to rid your boat of any foul air that may have collected over that time :D
Strangely enough when you first surface the OOD has to have someone hold his legs as he pops the hatch open otherwise he will get blown out of the boat with the build up of pressure and the air you first breathe after this smells of fish !!!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Without divulging any national secrets... what was the point of a 3 month submarine patrol just off Ireland?
We surfaced just off Ireland, where we had been before that was nowhere near that as you could tell from the colour of the casing if you had been somewhere cold ( still black ) or warm ( brown/ green ) [emoji106][emoji12]

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just stick a smaller version of this on it and claim artistic license :)

Attachments

• flag.JPG
    flag.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 148

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Thank you TB.

when at anchor, union jack on the pointy end and a size 10 white ensign (normally) on the blunt end, this is the same when in harbour (alongside). cannot answer the question regarding other flags flown when in foreign ports as i was either on watch or on the piss. WAFU's will not be able to answer this as they were already ashore hours before we docked polishing their budgies.

Life was hard as a WAFU, sometimes there was no lemon for the G&T*!
* personally I can’t abide gin. Its for officers and crabs. Nothing beats a pint.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I hope this thread gets bounced when you've finished it.
My maths are no good, but a 1/350 scale model of a ship133m long, must be about 5'?

Love to see some photos of work in progress...

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Thank you TB.

Spot on, as for the other flags flown from the mast head usually always 'Code Romeo Yankee' ... Can't remember what it means but ships always seem to fly it when at anchor or in harbour. I was s Sparker not a Bunting....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here