Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drivers could have to give way to cyclists under Highway Code shake-up

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No place on the roads for cyclists any more. Or horses or motorbikes. Not a dig at cyclists, I would love to cycle much more but the roads aren’t even good enough for the ridiculous amount of cars on them now, let alone a bike. And don’t start with the ‘drivers should drive better’ comments either, not going to happen.

Yeah, **** it, let's just give up all roads to motorists and except it as just our lot in life :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How come in some European countries the vast majority of people walk to the designated crossing point and wait for lights before they cross, I guess they have more zebra crossings on nearly every junction which in its self notifies everyone this is a crossing point everybody stop look listen (electric cars could be a problem with the listen bit)

Come to think of it, it's rare to see a crossing point or zebra crossing near a junction here. They're nearly all in the middle of long straight bits of road.

This is interesting reading ( including the comments section ) https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/the-problem-with-british-zebra-crossings/

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Yeah, **** it, let's just give up all roads to motorists and except it as just our lot in life :facepalm:

Why not? Keep moaning about it all you like but things are only going to get worse. In France earlier this year I would cycle over 40km most days in any direction from where we were staying and barely go near a road. It was safe and enjoyable. The thought of cycling to the end of our road over here worries me. Our roads are not fit for purpose and gambling with your life Doesn’t seem worth the risk to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Teachers get too many holidays.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why not? Keep moaning about it all you like but things are only going to get worse. In France earlier this year I would cycle over 40km most days in any direction from where we were staying and barely go near a road. It was safe and enjoyable. The thought of cycling to the end of our road over here worries me. Our roads are not fit for purpose and gambling with your life Doesn’t seem worth the risk to me.

I'm not moaning about it. I'm trying to present a balanced view as a cyclist and motorist.

Giving up on riding my bike on the road is simply not an option. It's both my hobby and my means of travel for my daily commute. Education and all sides, infrastructure changes and LESS motor vehicles on the road is what's needed, not giving up and letting motor vehicles have all the roads to themselves and be allowed to multiply even further.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Why people enjoy cycling on a road built for cars amazes me. Get a mountain bike and play at Devils Dyke or something.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I'm not moaning about it. I'm trying to present a balanced view as a cyclist and motorist.

Giving up on riding my bike on the road is simply not an option. It's both my hobby and my means of travel for my daily commute. Education and all sides, infrastructure changes and LESS motor vehicles on the road is what's needed, not giving up and letting motor vehicles have all the roads to themselves and be allowed to multiply even further.

No matter how much you educate drivers, you won’t see any improvement. For every one that listens, another ten will be along in a minute that don’t. There’s too much going on in a car now, phones, sat navs, 15 different ways of listening to the radio all distracting drivers from actually driving.

As for reducing cars on the road, fuel is one of the governments last great cash cows, so that’s not happening either.

Our roads are archaic and simply not designed for the amount of traffic they carry. Until somewhere takes the plunge and starts closing roads off completely and separates cars and bikes the death toll will keep rising. Banging on about educating drivers really isn’t doing anyone any favours, it’s not going to make a difference and is just distracting from the fact that serious changes need to be made. Instead we get half arsed efforts like you see in London where they chuck a few tins of blue paint in the road just to say they’re actively doing something.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No matter how much you educate drivers, you won’t see any improvement. For every one that listens, another ten will be along in a minute that don’t. There’s too much going on in a car now, phones, sat navs, 15 different ways of listening to the radio all distracting drivers from actually driving.

As for reducing cars on the road, fuel is one of the governments last great cash cows, so that’s not happening either.

Our roads are archaic and simply not designed for the amount of traffic they carry. Until somewhere takes the plunge and starts closing roads off completely and separates cars and bikes the death toll will keep rising. Banging on about educating drivers really isn’t doing anyone any favours, it’s not going to make a difference and is just distracting from the fact that serious changes need to be made. Instead we get half arsed efforts like you see in London where they chuck a few tins of blue paint in the road just to say they’re actively doing something.

I largely agree with all that. But still, giving up and just accepting change will never come isn't an option for me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why people enjoy cycling on a road built for cars amazes me. Get a mountain bike and play at Devils Dyke or something.

I enjoy walking in woods and fields thanks, not riding a bike through them.

Also, there's loads of quiet country lanes out there still that are relatively car free. My cycling on busy main roads is kept to an absolute minimum, as like you say, there's very little pleasure in that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lol's, your driving must be so frustrating.
Over the last 2 days I've cycled 120 miles.
Yesterday it took 10 miles to get across the Downs (and back), excluding some 'necessary evils' like the A29 at Brinsbury, I was left with 50 miles of near car free cycling, on the road.
The day before, coincidentally, to, over and back along the A259, Devils Dyke, was a bit more trafficy but being a cyclist I was able to either ride with the flow of the moving car park or just overtake it, down the middle of the road.

The problem with many urban roads is they are not fit for purpose, they are not fit for cars.
The rest of us are fine.

Happy days :thumbsup:

True.

Although the hint of change, a la Valley Gardens and IKEA threads here, drivers gets very titsy.
Everyone else is the problem 'I just want to drive to work'.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I never knew it was legal to just run them over atm!??

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I like to think I’m cautious and courteous towards cyclists on the roads (unless they’re behaving like stupid idiots). But I once stopped to give way to a bike when turning off Old Shoreham Road, where the road markings clearly indicated I HAD TO give way. The cyclist also stopped to let me turn. When I refused to budge (for fear of knocking him off his bike when he finally realised it was his right of way), he got very, very ratty with me. Baffling.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How come in some European countries the vast majority of people walk to the designated crossing point and wait for lights before they cross, I guess they have more zebra crossings on nearly every junction which in its self notifies everyone this is a crossing point everybody stop look listen (electric cars could be a problem with the listen bit)

Jay walking is against the law in some European countries, so pedestrians are required to use the crossings.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What was I saying about tolerance...?

Calling people who ride bikes "vermin"...& wanting to almost run them over with a van??

You must be really proud of yourself, well done. Such a big man.
The voices are back Fignon. They make me do it. I was a cyclist once until they threw me out of the club. I told them they’d pay. Anyone did anyone listen to what YOU said about tolerance. They never listen

Pickles

May 5, 2014
What was I saying about tolerance...?

Calling people who ride bikes "vermin"...& wanting to almost run them over with a van??

You must be really proud of yourself, well done. Such a big man.

That's on a good day, Fignon.

When he's feeling harassed, he puts his ladders on top, leaving them overhanging at the back, and knocks the second cyclist with a sharp turn.

It's marvelous to watch such a precision maneuver.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
British drivers may legally have to give way to cyclists and pedestrians when turning to make roads safer.

The Department for Transport is considering shaking-up the Highway Code to boost protection of vulnerable road users going straight on at junctions while motorists turn off.
I've clicked the links to try and understand what they're saying, and let's see if I've got this right:
When we're in a car and we're turning left, but there's a cyclist in front of us going straight past the turning, they don't want us to run the cyclist down?

That can't be right. Can someone please explain what this new code is supposed to be?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here