Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Eh, every religion has never slaughtered anyone. The people following, yes of course.

It's a human condition that is the problem. I hate to think what would have been left of this world if there hadn't been any religion.

Exactly the fact that it’s left open to so much interpretation is a huge problem!! If there is a god he should just pop down and say this is what I want not allow folk to hate each other because something is worded different than the other books it’s ****ish to say the very least

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Elaboration - the garbage thing was somewhat in haste!
The main intention of The vast majority of religions is not to poison people against each other. It is much more about what Elvis Costello said once: "What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding."

A pedant writes ....that's a Nick Lowe song, not Elvis

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Exactly the fact that it’s left open to so much interpretation is a huge problem!! If there is a god he should just pop down and say this is what I want not allow folk to hate each other because something is worded different than the other books it’s ****ish to say the very least

Or you just don't understand what's going on.

There is that possibility.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In their recently published book, “Encyclopedia of Wars,” authors Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod document the history of recorded warfare, and from their list of 1763 wars only 123 have been classified to involve a religious cause, accounting for less than 7 percent of all wars and less than 2 percent of all people killed in warfare. While, for example, it is estimated that approximately one to three million people were tragically killed in the Crusades, and perhaps 3,000 in the Inquisition, nearly 35 million soldiers and civilians died in the senseless, and secular, slaughter of World War 1 alone.

However there are many leaders when entering into conflict will shout out 'With God on our side we shall triumph' which effectively brings religion into the conflict

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Church of England as an entity, lost its way quite a few decades ago. Each CofE church is completely different, and can vary from very low church, with virtually no trimmings, update modern music, and everyone wearing jeans, to very high church which is almost Roman Catholic.

There has a been a marked growth in Free Churches in the UK, where people who wanted a more bible based service, than traditional laid out in law, prayer book, so CofE congregations declined, but Free churches gained.

Christianity is thriving in Iran, and China despite persecution.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They need to take a long hard look at their youth system.

They're just not bringing enough kids through.

Maybe Tony Bloom can build them a state-of-the-art prayer academy.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I personally think it's a great shame that modern society is becoming atheist. Christian values are in part what made the the generations of the early 20th century so great. The loss of Christian values has been hugely detrimental to the morality and wellbeing of society.

I think we're becoming agnostic rather than atheist. It's more that we just don't think about it, rather than have fully thought about it and decided one way or the other.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You’ll only get me through the doors of a church for a marriage or a funeral. IMO the C of E is totally out of touch with the 21st century. Not saying that’s a good or bad thing just the way it is.

How many people under 60 think it has any relevance at all, a very small percentage I’d guess.

Islam however....

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Religion is a load of old monkeys bollocks.

Love one another, we are all god's children.......unless you don't worship MY god, then I'll hate you and possibly even kill you.

If God rewards for being good, why does the devil punish for being bad? Surely the devil loves bad people, sin more, be rewarded for it.

One of my favourite scenes from a movie:

...let me give you a little inside information about God.
God likes to watch.
He's a prankster.
Think about it.

He gives man... instincts.
He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do? I swear, for his own amusement...
...his own private, cosmic...gag reel...
...He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time.
Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste.
Taste, but don't swallow.
And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, what is He doing?
He's laughing his sick, ****ing ass off!
He's a tightass!
He's a sadist!
He's an absentee landlord!

Worship that? Never

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I work with a young Christian, he is proud of his faith, however, he indulges in sex before marriage despite professing to his family that he would never do that , is homophobic, he is anti female Ministers at any level, very strongly right wing and anti-Europe, very pro -Trump and pro- guns and errs close to racism often in his comments. All this is a tad worrying when put in the perspective that he wishes to become a Minister.

He should fit in well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I personally think it's a great shame that modern society is becoming atheist. Christian values are in part what made the the generations of the early 20th century so great. The loss of Christian values has been hugely detrimental to the morality and wellbeing of society.

It does annoy me when people seem to claim the moral high ground on behalf of religion. Good morals are not the preserve of religions.

As for the OP, religion is a spent force as people have a greater understanding of everything due to science. I cannot fathom why people that are seemingly intelligent feel the need to have this omnipresent crutch throughout their lives and then, so they think, beyond.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
If you type Anglicans opening new churches,it tells how they are spending 27 million opening new cafe style churches.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I'm a Christian and have been all my life.
I used to go to church regularly but tend to go less and less now.
My beliefs haven't changed at all however.
The reason I am going less is that quite frankly I find it very boring a lot of the time. I don't particularly like hymns and lots of the sermons are simply "God loves you" etc which gets very repetitive!
A few weeks ago at a service the minister was talking about the Christian view on divorce. It was far more interesting BUT I think would have been far better if it could have been debated, people ask questions etc.
I'm a teacher and we, as a profession, have moved on from simply lecturing students to get them more involved in their learning. I think the church need to do the same and move away from the lecturing, preaching style that hasn't changed for decades!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Given Trump is a Christian, Reed-Mogg is a fanatical Catholic and ISIL are mired in fundamentalist Islam, a full atheist revolution cannot come quickly enough. Not many humanists carrying out suicide bombings or attacking the medical staff from abortion clinics are there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you want to know a bit more about the nasty side of the Church try reading up on Chancel Repair Liability, and how its able to target individuals until they are destroyed and bankrupt.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What I find weird is, nobody I know is religious but everyone I know gets married in a church, christening's, funerals all with lashings of the God waffle!
I think the only good thing about it is the architecture.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here