Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But other than that, there wouldn't be any other problems with a referendum in Northern Ireland on Irish unification would there? All the nice people in the Unionist community in Northern Ireland would be well up for it and the referendum and the aftermath would all go smoothly and they'd love being Irish citizens, not British afterwards. It's not as if anyone might get violent or anything. :rolleyes:

Used to be one of my preferred options when I served in Ulster.Pull out and let the Republic cope with 20,000 Loyalist terrorists.The IRA wouldn't have had a bombing campaign in the UK as it's hard to bomb from the grave.The other option was to pull the plug out,and let the whole crap-pile sink.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
May’s white paper is expected to propose the UK remaining indefinitely in a single market for goods after Brexit, to avoid the need for checks at the Irish border. While the UK is offering concessions on financial services, it wants restrictions on free movement of people – a long-standing no-go for the EU.

So Is that more In than Out, or more Out than In ?

Incidentally, the EU has already said that this proposal would be unacceptable when it was first discussed back in 2017.

But at least it will unite the country behind her :angel:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But other than that, there wouldn't be any other problems with a referendum in Northern Ireland on Irish unification would there? All the nice people in the Unionist community in Northern Ireland would be well up for it and the referendum and the aftermath would all go smoothly and they'd love being Irish citizens, not British afterwards. It's not as if anyone might get violent or anything. :rolleyes:

Yes, but it would be the Irish Army and the Garda that would have to take care of that, not our boys being shot and bombed in the streets of Londonderry and Belfast, wouldn't it! :rolleyes:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bloody hell: looks like The Titanic has been sunk before it's been launched!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...exit-proposal-is-unrealistic-say-eu-officials

There was never, EVER going to be a "Deal". The EU 4 freedoms are set in stone and nothing was ever going to change that.

The choices were only ever stay, Hard Brexit or Norway, and Norway was derided by both sides during the Referendum campaign because Norway is a rule-taker and pays in Euro 340mill annually (we'd pay in 94% of what we do now with a Norway-style deal).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes, but it would be the Irish Army and the Garda that would have to take care of that, not our boys being shot and bombed in the streets of Londonderry and Belfast, wouldn't it! :rolleyes:

Really? So The Irish Defence Forces and Garda would be policing things in Northern Ireland after a Unification referendum was called and during the divisive campaign itself and after the result was announced etc not The PSNI. Fascinating.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You mean, like that's been happening so wonderfully for the last 40 years? Good luck with that one as a vote winner - that will instantly have all leavers rushing to recant!

We have never really tried, not since Maggie helped to create the Single Market. UK Prime ministers have seen it as a battleground, an arena in which you can either win or lose, it needs collaborative effort, and a bit of give and take.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Used to be one of my preferred options when I served in Ulster.Pull out and let the Republic cope with 20,000 Loyalist terrorists.The IRA wouldn't have had a bombing campaign in the UK as it's hard to bomb from the grave.The other option was to pull the plug out,and let the whole crap-pile sink.

You are clearly a deep thinker with clever and intricate solutions to difficult and delicate issues.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

My understanding was that the Good Friday Agreement means that if it seems possible that a majority of NI citizens want union with Ireland then the British government is required to determine whether or not this is actually the case and, if it is, hand the province over to Dublin. I haven't seen anyone suggest that there is already a majority for unification, just as I haven't seen anyone suggest that the Brexit vote hasn't moved it closer.

If it happened, it would be up to the two states most involved to deal with the inevitable outbreak of nationalist bloodshed. Nostalgic events take unexpected forms.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There was never, EVER going to be a "Deal". The EU 4 freedoms are set in stone and nothing was ever going to change that.

The choices were only ever stay, Hard Brexit or Norway, and Norway was derided by both sides during the Referendum campaign because Norway is a rule-taker and pays in Euro 340mill annually (we'd pay in 94% of what we do now with a Norway-style deal).

OK clever clogs - but you've forgotten the 4th and most likely option: the red, white and blue Brexi! Get a grip and pay attention.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So, in the event of 'no deal' the extension of EU membership that you suggest would be an 'Emergency' extension and therefore not an extension at all but a 'no deal'.

One where we wouldn't implement WTO rules and tariffs immediately but continue to pay the EU while we build an Irish border, border posts, lorry parks at all the ports, customs points at all ports and airports, design and build IT and manual systems to manage WTO rules and tariffs and then train up all the staff required ?

You seem to be very clear about this ???

In that hypothetical scenario, no deal means talks have irrevocably broken down possibly very near the March 29 deadline. Therefore I expect some form of transition process would be needed to reduce the impact and disruption which both sides are likely to agree to as, like you, I can't see how they would be ready. Also it's not continuing EU membership as we would have left on March 29 all those promises about paying tens of billions and future funding commitments no longer stand. The Eu probably wouldn't even agree to extending membership anyway.

But as you have said this won't happen we have nothing to worry about although I note numerous remainers on this thread seem to think it's still possible or even likely. Perhaps you can rank them in some sort of amusing league table of cluelessness. :D

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really? So The Irish Defence Forces and Garda would be policing things in Northern Ireland after a Unification referendum was called and during the divisive campaign itself and after the result was announced etc not The PSNI. Fascinating.

No. Don't be silly. We didn't leave the EU the day the referendum was called, did we? So why put up the stupid notion that NI would become part of the Republic as soon as the referendum was announced, regardless of the result? :facepalm:

It would only be if and when NI became part of the Republic. Next dumb question?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm losing the will to live listening to May drone on about Europe on the Parliament Channel, not one question answered

Don't know why you bother watching her. She is clearly out of her depth. Strangely enough 166 people on this site thing that she isn't.

(I wonder if that would change if the poll was started again?)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
In that hypothetical scenario, no deal means talks have irrevocably broken down possibly very near the March 29 deadline. Therefore I expect some form of transition process would be needed to reduce the impact and disruption which both sides are likely to agree to as, like you, I can't see how they would be ready. Also it's not continuing EU membership as we would have left on March 29 all those promises about paying tens of billions and future funding commitments no longer stand. The Eu probably wouldn't even agree to extending membership anyway.

But as you have said this won't happen we have nothing to worry about although I note numerous remainers on this thread seem to think it's still possible or even likely. Perhaps you can rank them in some sort of amusing league table of cluelessness. :D

That is exactly what I said would happen, You little tinker punish:

What I have said all along is a 'no deal' with WTO rules and Tariffs won't happen because 9 months is insufficient time to implement everything required. (I've actually been saying that for the last 9 months as 18 months wasn't long enough). But eventually, you have accepted the inevitable and agreed that we would have to ask for extensions to our membership if we don't get a deal. (Although you have kindly re-branded it 'emergency' and 'transition' and definitely not membership), but we will continue to pay in, accept free movement and abide by all EU laws, rules and Tariffs.

You know what they say

did-you-know-if-it-looks-like-a-duck-sounds-25977601.png

I'm off for an early night as i go away for a bit of EU sun, sea and food tomorrow. Who knows, when I get back, TM may have it all sorted :lolol:

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That is exactly what I said would happen, You little tinker punish:

What I have said all along is a 'no deal' with WTO rules and Tariffs won't happen because 9 months is insufficient time to implement everything required. (I've actually been saying that for the last 9 months as 18 months wasn't long enough). But eventually, you have accepted the inevitable and agreed that we would have to ask for extensions to our membership if we don't get a deal. (Although you have kindly re-branded it 'emergency' and 'transition' and definitely not membership), but we will continue to pay, accept free movement and abide by all EU laws, rules and Tariffs.

You know what they say

View attachment 98282

I'm off for an early night as i go away for a bit of EU sun, sea and food for a bit tomorrow. Who knows, when I get back, TM may have it all sorted :lolol:

Enjoy your trip and I hope all the preparations/infrastructure building for the no deal option at the exit /entry points won't disrupt your journey too much :D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here