Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Return deposit on bottles.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
They are charging the extra 15p on the cost of the bottle/can beforehand and have to have a receipt to get a return apparently load of bolocks.

Just another tax for the poor/elderly/disabled

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
They are charging the extra 15p on the cost of the bottle/can beforehand and have to have a receipt to get a return apparently load of bolocks.

No receipt required in Europe. Just pop the bottle or can in a machine , it's scanned and out comes your deposit.
You don't have to take them to the same place they are purchased...

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
No receipt required in Europe. Just pop the bottle or can in a machine , it's scanned and out comes your deposit.
You don't have to take them to the same place they are purchased...

It's a very easy system. Most super markets will have the recycling machines, put your bottles in and it'll give you a receipt, do you shop and at the end scan it in and get money off. Although we think we're better off alone, we could learn a lot from that lot over le channel

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So no doubt like many others I put bottles out for recycling either as glass or plastic. But going forward I will have to stop this and take everything with me (I assume) to the supermarket and queue to put these items which were already being recycled into a machine to get a voucher where upon I will then need to join another queue to receive cash all before I start my weekly shop.
And will this be on everything such as jam jars or just drink bottles of glass and plastic.
I'm now looking forward to the even earlier Amex leavers as they seek to get their deposit back on their kids coke bottle before catching the train or bus.

try being less negative. Millions do it in Germany, as I have experienced. there are no queues, though there might be one person on occasion in front of you and you can offset the shopping bill at the till with the value of the voucher. Couldn't be easier.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

It might be an idea to check properly before you come up with this nonsense.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am a OCD recycler at home - but seven seasons at the Amex still can't work out those recycle bins on the concourses ???

Yes, I too take it seriously, but for the life of me don't know in which bin to put the empty plastic beer container.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember the system in The Czech Republic for this over 10 years back at the supermarket - they were automated machines for returning glass bottles which then produced a voucher for the supermarket till, but the bottle sizes were a standard size and colour.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Seems to me to be a pointless exercise - are people really going to separate out the bottles and take them to a special recycling point?

I see nothing wrong in the council collecting my plastic waste from my front door every Tuesday, paid for from my Council Tax.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am a OCD recycler at home - but seven seasons at the Amex still can't work out those recycle bins on the concourses ???

Every. Bloody. Game.

Just which side is my empty plastic pint pot supposed to go into. I still have no idea.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I cannot be the only one on NSC that buys beer by the crate from Harveys in Lewes?

I get a "refund" on returning their crate and each empty bottle [of theirs] in said crate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Every. Bloody. Game.

Just which side is my empty plastic pint pot supposed to go into. I still have no idea.

Seems like we all have exactly the same problem. How many pints do they sell per game, 50,000 maybe? Would help if they had big graphics of the most common packaging (beer glasses, burger wrappers etc) on the top of the bins, rather than in tiny wee small print halfway down the bin like they currently do.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Every. Bloody. Game.

Just drink in multiples of 2 and alternate. Every game you can return home safe in the knowledge you've done your bit for the eco warrior inside of you. The more you drink the more you save the planet!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Remember going to the offie sneaking around the back lifting a few empties and then claiming the return value in exchange for either crisps or sweets. This is a good move hopefully it comes off

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The fella was on LBC this morning mate I didn't just make it up. Idiot

First of all, you did not say that, and secondly, you obviously and very naively believe hook, line and sinker, what someone on the radio says - and then you call me an idiot! Now, who is the real idiot?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I know someone* who used to "collect" Corona bottles from the back garden of the chippy in Coombe Road then take them into the shop and get the deposit back. Some of those bottles got recycled several times.

*not me, honest

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Dunno.. They do it in Germany and the poor/ entrepreneurs pick the bottles off the streets and get the money back for them.. At big sporting events/ festivals, people turn up with big plastic sacks and fill them and return them.
No receipts required and if anything some of the poor benefit from it.
A lot of the plastic bottles are 25 cents, so taking a load to the local drinks store/supermarket is worth it.
As stated earlier they have a very high recycle rate due to this..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here