Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch to go bust?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cant really imagine another airline wishing to destabilise so much as to be willing to put aircraft in position and file flight plans matching those of Monarch. It would be a very expensive way to destabilise a rival

As already posted, what has happened to these "aircraft in position" now that the Monarch flights have left???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most have returned to their operators bases, at a large cost to whoever chartered them.

So all the way back the the US of A probably as UA 747s do not operate short haul around Europe to my knowledge? Blimey I bet that hurt. I suggest they charter out of Europe next time.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As already posted, what has happened to these "aircraft in position" now that the Monarch flights have left???

Most have returned to their operators bases, at a large cost to whoever chartered them.

So all the way back the the US of A probably as UA 747s do not operate short haul around Europe to my knowledge? Blimey I bet that hurt. I suggest they charter out of Europe next time.

The flights that mirrored the Monarch flights now show cancelled next to them. The planes are probably still there waiting. Sounds like Monarch were close to going so the CAA got a contingency plan ready. Also sounds like call centres were being set up to deal with it. Late stay of execution / investment?

Chartered by the CAA means that cost will be charged to the UK traveller in some way - taxes or fare contributions?

UA747's are not allowed to operate short haul in Europe. I guess that these American fleets had a lot of spare capacity that the Europeans don't have, either that or they are actually cheaper than their European counterparts. Plus loads of the airports that Monarch fly to cannot accommodate the big jumbos, so a lot of spare European capacity would have been used by smaller planes in the smaller airports

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

According to the airline forums still on ground with later 'mirror' flight plans still currently on those airline schedules

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sounds feasible to me, as a non-airline industry type...

"Monarch flights and seats are sold by First Aviation, at the end of SEPT the ATOL is due for renewal and that means a new bond is needed, that bond would be for more than GBP 5m. Greybull won't want to tie up that much working capital and as the airline has not been sold as a going concern, partly due to brevet concerns for a UK AOC and what it can and can't do after brexit, then the logical choice will be to shut the airline down prior to start of new ATOL year.

Sorry to say it but once the planes are airborne from IBZ, they will shut the airline down.

The aircraft in place are to be used for passengers to be repatriated, This is much better planned than the XL failure. All will become clear tomorrow AM."

Why sell through First Aviation and not a call centre in their home base,or do First Aviation deal with most of the low cost airlines ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Things like this tend to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I should imagine that Monarch pilots, engineers, cabin crew and the like will all be putting their CVs out there and as a result the airline will find it hard to actually get any planes into the sky.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Not many 747s around Europe spare.

United have a charter business with 8x 747 in it, so probably the easiest candidate to get a couple from on short notice

Jul 7, 2003
Dan-Air was the first airline I ever flew on as a kid from Gatwick to Tenerife! My late mother asked, on my behalf, one of the cabin crew if I could see inside the cockpit and he checked with them and then I went into the cock-pit and had 5 minutes or so chatting to the captain and co-pilot, who were both 'tally-ho' ex-RAF types right as the plane was flying over Lisbon at night as they were having their dinner. They pointed out how everything worked and asked me where I was going on holiday and what football team I supported, they were brilliant. Then the steward knocked and just opened the cock-pit door and took me back to my seat.

Dan-Air were the greatest and I always loved the fact they sponsored the Combined Counties League years ago. If an airline is sponsoring a football league, then they're always going to pretty cool.

I wore a Dan Air t-shirt to Barnsley match on Saturday. Like you, first airline I flew on and was a fairly regular flyer with them on the Gatwick to Manchester and Newcastle routes in the last few years before they sold out to BA.

Jul 7, 2003
The flights that mirrored the Monarch flights now show cancelled next to them. The planes are probably still there waiting. Sounds like Monarch were close to going so the CAA got a contingency plan ready. Also sounds like call centres were being set up to deal with it. Late stay of execution / investment?

Chartered by the CAA means that cost will be charged to the UK traveller in some way - taxes or fare contributions?

UA747's are not allowed to operate short haul in Europe. I guess that these American fleets had a lot of spare capacity that the Europeans don't have, either that or they are actually cheaper than their European counterparts. Plus loads of the airports that Monarch fly to cannot accommodate the big jumbos, so a lot of spare European capacity would have been used by smaller planes in the smaller airports

According to the airline forums, the European companies who would usually provide wide-bodies jets in potential repatriation situations have most of their planes in Saudi and the Far East at the moment.

If, as suspected, it is the CAA who arranged these flights I guess that to bring over one 747 from the US (depending on the configuration) may still be cheaper than having to use three smaller aircraft to get the same capacity.

Whatever the truth about the situation, until Monarch/Greybull post their new bond for 2016/17 then these rumours are only going to get worse.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Thats where im at right now. With those wide bodied aircraft still on the ground and still with flight plans being posted on Monarch routes and each time being cancelled quite late on the situation seems far from resolved.
The profit of 40 million they expect to post is meaningless if they are unwilling or unable to post the bond required for ATOL to remain in place beyond the 1st October.
I wasnt entirely convinced by the all is well statements coming from Monarch when read alongside the reports of late night discussions with the CAA last night

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thats where im at right now. With those wide bodied aircraft still on the ground and still with flight plans being posted on Monarch routes and each time being cancelled quite late on the situation seems far from resolved.
The profit of 40 million they expect to post is meaningless if they are unwilling or unable to post the bond required for ATOL to remain in place beyond the 1st October.
I wasnt entirely convinced by the all is well statements coming from Monarch when read alongside the reports of late night discussions with the CAA last night

Profit doesn't necessarily mean you have cash flow to operate either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here