Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've just received a note from Paul Barber concerning the transfer window, and he was happy for it to be shared on NSC.

The transfer window has, as ever, sparked a lot of debate on social media – some of it constructive and interesting; some of it, naïve and, in places, unjustifiably spiteful. Not surprisingly, and such is the way of the world these days, hardly any of the (largely anonymous) criticism directed at the club on social media has made its way to us directly in the form of emails or letters…

Nevertheless, our supporters do have every right to express their reasonable opinions. The game is full of opinions. It’s what makes our sport as popular as it is. But personal attacks on our people (least of all, our chairman), or attempts to scapegoat individuals through social media, are totally unnecessary and will never be acceptable to us, not least as we go out of our way to fully engage with our fans at all times.

An awful lot of the criticism has formed part of wider debates on forums and has been far from anonymous. I've lost count of of the number of Facebook groups we have now and generally people are "themselves" on FB. People can be themselves on Twitter and most of our more prominent and reasonable commentators are. I make no secret of writing a blog or who I am.

At no point since social media existed have I ever seen someone dip out of a live debate online and go "you know what, you guys aren't the audience, I'm going to email the club instead".

The one 'anonymous' (as I bet [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] could find out who he is) severe critic of Bloom was on here and was roundly lambasted as a troll, idiot and WUM.

Whether it's a pithy one line put down on here, a period of sustained bed wetting in July or a blog post designed to stimulate debate, all of that is best kept between us, uncensored. NSC is the good old pub debate made civilised and put online and I'm sure Paul wouldn't want genuine debate censored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I think an employee at the club has the right to expect to be defended by the CEO if abuse is coming at them. Do you think you can call the new barman in your local a **** and expect to be backed by the landlord because you have drunk there for years?

Who has been calling who a ****. ???

Of course the new barman could have sloshed a pint of Guinness down the regulars wife's top then moping it up while grinding up against her and whispering salty nuts madam.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
After reading again it's like a letter to share holders explaining why profits are down this quarter. If we don't score Saturday what will the next letter be? We are still right and the fans are wrong?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have a feeling the last loan signing for a back up keeper in Krul, was because they are not totally convinced with Ryan. If that was the case, could Walton not have been brought back from his loan?

With hindsight, a loan striker in the last few days of the window would have been a lot more achievable than a permanent signing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If that was the case, could Walton not have been brought back from his loan?

He could have been, but seeing as he suffered an as-yet not fully diagnosed ankle injury on August 31 (which is expected to keep him out for weeks or months), then it wouldn't have done much good.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't seen enough of Brown to argue with that but what little I've seen of Gross he certainly doesn't fit the bill as a back up striker to me. That is not a knock I'm sure he'll be OK but a striker he ain't.

Square pegs in round holes never works, that is, playing players in a position alien to them.

Many England managers, plus club managers such as Wenger, have been lambasted by the football world, for screwing teams through such stupidity,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Square pegs in round holes never works, that is, playing players in a position alien to them.

Many England managers, plus club managers such as Wenger, have been lambasted by the football world, for screwing teams through such stupidity,

Gross isn't a striker but Brown may be. He's young enough to adapt. Dennis Bergkamp was a right back in youth football

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting this. These days most company's social media teams will, probably weekly, send a summary of the main points of social media engagement with the company/product. What this shows I think, is that PB is totally all over social media watching every little detail and frankly over-obsessing. We all like a moan up but does he really think we are not going to get behind CH's team? It really was just a failure to deliver a key deliverable with 4 months. Doesn't matter if it's early or late business it was just missed. learn from it, sack someone, whatever.

Something being missed by Paul, is that part of the reason we all carped on so much is that we care deeply and don't want the club to be humiliated. Misplaced I'm sure but very real basic humanity for sure.

Good points.

With many fans having waited 34 years to make the top flight again, and being wise enough to know that the current Championship is extremely difficult to get promoted from (with or without parachute monies).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I was referring to the Gross as our striker suggestion.

I know. I agree with you on that 100%

Agree that Brown, or Izquierdo, might do in a fluid system with no aireal balls up them.

Again agree. I love to see that sort of football too though it would still be out of necessity.

My wider point was coaches these days are taught to try players in many positions so, while they're young, there's nothing wrong with trying something new. One of my mates played centre back, got injured and is now a County League goalie.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure what to make of his reply to be honest. Smacks of him wanting to do the right thing, but actually comes across as obsessive and a bit of 'doth protest too much' and a degree of trying to justify the (less than satisfactory) outcome. Reads like a version of the explanation he might have given to TB when he perhaps got a massive bollocking at 1.01am.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have a lot of time for PB. I do however have a problem with the presentation of the issues. We did not sign a replacement for Akpron during the window,i can only hope this does not jeopardize our league status,no excuse IMO can be accepted !

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure what to make of his reply to be honest. Smacks of him wanting to do the right thing, but actually comes across as obsessive and a bit of 'doth protest too much' and a degree of trying to justify the (less than satisfactory) outcome. Reads like a version of the explanation he might have given to TB when he perhaps got a massive bollocking at 1.01am.

Good points and don't disagree. It'll be interesting to see how this comes across in Saturday's programme.

the only way he will satisfy the doubters is if on Saturday the team is read out with three new £30 million strikers and a caption from PB saying "had you fooled!"

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good points and don't disagree. It'll be interesting to see how this comes across in Saturday's programme.

the only way he will satisfy the doubters is if on Saturday the team is read out with three new £30 million strikers and a caption from PB saying "had you fooled!"

I think we have a fairly final draft of the programme notes already.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here