Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you are confusing written religion with religious practice and beliefs as preached by interpretation.

Are you saying we should ban all religious beliefs?

I was referring to the specific line about practising what's written in a religious book.

Where on earth did I say ban religious belief? You really do twist and turn and invent bollocks to point score.

I said in my opinion her beliefs are homophobic , don't belong in modern Britain and she shouldn't expect to be too popular in Brighton &Hove with them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The loony left think they have it hard now , just wait and see the fall out if that goon gets in.

Short memories, or too young and brain washed at their university's i can not believe the current vote swinging towards him.:nono:

Because the Conservatives are getting it so wrong. They should be walking this election, but their over confidence in believing people are buying into further tax cuts coupled with cuts to the NHS, care, education were just going to be accepted. A step to the centre ground for them would probably have seen them with a massive majority, but they've stepped right and they may well see their majority reduced. There is rightly suspicion about why the government in power cannot provide detailed figures in a general election. They've substituted the word 'promise' for 'ambition' on key policies, so they are non committal on immigration, non committal on spending, non committal on Brexit. This has as much to do with Conservatives not attracting the centre ground as it does Corbyn transforming himself in the polls.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We're not the USA thank Christ - and they take it to another level. But I was merely responding to your assertion that Brits don't do religion as part of politics as absolute nonsense. The mainstream parties in Northern Ireland are all centered around religion, the Scottish Conservatives were once Unionists and only got the proddy vote, Khan v Goldsmith was fought out over allegations of what classifies an "extremist Muslim", Corbyn and Livingstone are rightly taken to task for their blatent anti-Semitism, Farron won't support gay marriage in parliament because he's religious. It's woven in to the fabric.

Kristy Adams knew her past would come out as soon as she put herself in the public eye. The sad thing is she seems unable or unwilling to say even what you're saying, let's leave it out and debate the issues. Like May she's virtually disappeared, even [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] has noticed.

Then lets do religion then
lets ask all the candidates about evolution (nutters) lets ask them muslim or christian if they prey to the invisible sky fairy (nutters)

i would rather keep religion out of it but i presume you wont mind me mentioning everytime a name comes up whether they are atheist muslim christian or something else what their preference is

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
One thing I'm royally pissed off about is where the hell is Kristy Adams, I've not seen sight or sound from her or the local party, she doesn't deserve my vote!

Same hers although my wife got a flyer from her through the post. I was really hoping she or her supporters were going to knock the door. Maybe she has realised how out of step she is with most lical people and like her leader only does sound bites

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The issues you raise are valid, including Brexit, but have nothing to do with corporation tax. Business is the wheels and the oil of the economy, it drives growth, in which the majority of us rely to earn a salary and pay our mortgage and energy providers and spend our salaries at the Amex! and in shops and pay VAT on goods and services. To suggest nudging it up to be nearer X country is fine, but that is an ideological position, what is the economics of doing it? if it can be conclusively proven that wider effect of doing so would bring in more revenue to the treasury to pay for social programmes, great lets do it..... except it doesnt do that. Where leading economists suggest raising it by 7p will lose money, then the half of Labours sums dont add up and are not only wiped out, they policy will likely lose money, which makes no sense except unless if based on ideology.

I couldnt give a crap what the corporation tax rate is, but it should be set so as to maximise the revenue into the treasury whilst also keeping the wheel turning which drives a myriad of secondary spending with associated taxes like VAT. I read one senior economist in the economist clearly laying out that reducing it to 17p would bring in more than increasing it to 26p.

The right rate is the rate that brings in maximum tax receipts whilst not choking off growth and spending which in turn drive numerous secondary tax receipts. Its not based on what someone else does and its full implications must be clearly thought through. This one policy alone, if implemented, I maintain will do substantial damage to businesses (many of whom are small businesses and people) and within months we will fall into recession. Then what?, cancel the promises for Police, NHS or tuition fees or borrow the 25 billion shortfall of this policy per year? Thats not fear mongering, its the result of an ideological policy that makes no economic sense. Lower tax is not about helping the rich, it helps the economy as a whole. Better to sell 100 of something at £19 than 50 of something at £26. feel free to bump this if Corbyn wins.

I believe this is what Davies was saying on QT last night, with expert opinions to back it up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Where on earth did I say ban religious belief? You really do twist and turn and invent bollocks to point score.

You didnt, i never said you did. I have not twisted anything.
i posed a question with a question mark clearly visible.......learn basic English and stop being a drama queen

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What you are saying in essence is your beliefs on gay marriage or gay anything for that matter trump the right to have free religious belief.
i detest religion, but the law and the hyperbole surrounding rights to religious freedom are at odds with each other and hypocritical.

Give full religious freedom including the right to be against homosexuality or tell the truth that religious people are not free to worship as their holy book says.

What a load of hyperbole poppycock. Where have I said my belief that gay people should have EQUAL rights to everyone else trumps the right of people to have free religious belief ? A candidate is free to hold any religious beliefs they want in exactly the same way I'm free to withhold my vote from them if I think their beliefs are in direct opposition to mine. If a candidate is likely to use their religious beliefs to influence a vote in parliament then I should have a right to know their religious beliefs when they are trying to win my vote. If I voted for someone not knowing their religious beliefs would mean they voted to ban abortion or not to allow gay marriage then I'd feel conned.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You didnt, i never said you did. I have not twisted anything.
i posed a question with a question mark clearly visible.......learn basic English and stop being a drama queen

Christ, you really are a twit. No wonder you're on here so much, I genuinely cannot imagine anyone wanting to listen to your ceaseless bullshit in real life.

Layaz Playaz.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Then lets do religion then
lets ask all the candidates about evolution (nutters) lets ask them muslim or christian if they prey to the invisible sky fairy (nutters)

i would rather keep religion out of it but i presume you wont mind me mentioning everytime a name comes up whether they are atheist muslim christian or something else what their preference is

Knock yourself out if that's how you want your posts to come across.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Put the price up and demand goes down - isn't that what we were taught in our first lesson of A-level economics? I certainly was.

So, put the price of doing business in the UK up and demand to be here and to be based here will go down. Of course, corporate tax is just one component of the pricing model involved with doing business here, but it's a pretty significant one.

Too simple a view? Maybe. But I look to Ireland, who have a rate of 12.5% which has seen considerable investment - some a bit shady, but much not - since the financial crisis.

Michael Noonan, Irish Minister for Finance speaking about the effect on the Irish economy of their tax rate: "Peoples’ lives are improving with more at work than at any time since the onset of the downturn. We no longer need to impose swingeing cuts to public services, rather we have room to invest in services and infrastructure."

As [MENTION=15046]peterward[/MENTION] says, above it's ideological. One thing we've all become aware of is that large corporations are very good at being tax efficient. I can't see that putting our corporation tax rate up by 37% is going to encourage them to pay more into UK plc.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Put the price up and demand goes down - isn't that what we were taught in our first lesson of A-level economics? I certainly was.

So, put the price of doing business in the UK up and demand to be here and to be based here will go down. Of course, corporate tax is just one component of the pricing model involved with doing business here, but it's a pretty significant one.

Too simple a view? Maybe. But I look to Ireland, who have a rate of 12.5% which has seen considerable investment - some a bit shady, but much not - since the financial crisis.

Michael Noonan, Irish Minister for Finance speaking about the effect on the Irish economy of their tax rate: "Peoples’ lives are improving with more at work than at any time since the onset of the downturn. We no longer need to impose swingeing cuts to public services, rather we have room to invest in services and infrastructure."

As [MENTION=15046]peterward[/MENTION] says, above it's ideological. One thing we've all become aware of is that large corporations are very good at being tax efficient. I can't see that putting our corporation tax rate up by 37% is going to encourage them to pay more into UK plc.

I thought you were meant to be like the Queen, non political !!

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Same hers although my wife got a flyer from her through the post. I was really hoping she or her supporters were going to knock the door. Maybe she has realised how out of step she is with most lical people and like her leader only does sound bites
I'm up in Hangleton and I've had nothing that mentioned Kristy Adams by name at all. I had a letter from Theresa May telling me that Jeremy Corbyn is awful and I shouldn't vote for him but didn't give any reason to vote for her other than "Strong and Stable", then I got a glossy A4 thing with various reasons as to why Jeremy Corbyn is terrible and I shouldn't vote for him.

It has really been a pitiful campaign by the Tories. I've not seen anyone actually say "I'm voting Tory because they're doing X and Y and Z", it's just "I'm voting Tory because *bad things about Labour".

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Interesting case, Ireland.

http://business.financialpost.com/i...f-an-economic-miracle-that-rivals-china-india

IDA Ireland notes that many companies, however, choose the country not for tax-inversion purposes, but because it makes a natural launching point for European operations. In addition to the low tax rate, Ireland has a comparatively high level of workers with post-secondary education, more affordable office space and a large multinational presence.

“Yes, we have a very competitive corporate tax rate, but without having the other factors that go into making a decision on where to choose in order to build your sustainable competitive company, corporate tax rate is irrelevant,” New York-based Dowdall said.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We're not the USA thank Christ - and they take it to another level. But I was merely responding to your assertion that Brits don't do religion as part of politics as absolute nonsense. The mainstream parties in Northern Ireland are all centered around religion, the Scottish Conservatives were once Unionists and only got the proddy vote, Khan v Goldsmith was fought out over allegations of what classifies an "extremist Muslim", Corbyn and Livingstone are rightly taken to task for their blatent anti-Semitism, Farron won't support gay marriage in parliament because he's religious. It's woven in to the fabric.

Kristy Adams knew her past would come out as soon as she put herself in the public eye. The sad thing is she seems unable or unwilling to say even what you're saying, let's leave it out and debate the issues. Like May she's virtually disappeared, even [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] has noticed.

lets get one thing clear Tim Farron and the gay question is one thing and is part of a religious belief, i dont think its fair to beat him with a stick about it. The blatant anti semitism from the Corbyn brigade is not a religious belief it is hate speech......pure and simple and is not born out of religion......it is born out of ideology.....and it is vile

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
"Ireland has also hugely benefited from the large number of foreign companies that have chosen it as a location for European expansion — mainly due to an incredibly low corporate tax rate of 12.5 per cent. The export-dominated economy has also been lifted by a low euro and a strong resumption of domestic demand from its once heavily indebted consumers."

http://business.financialpost.com/i...f-an-economic-miracle-that-rivals-china-india

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Lots of people have taken A Level Economics over the years. I'm guessing that people like Nigel Lawson and John Major had a reasonable grasp of the basics to draw upon when setting the Corporation Tax rate during their times as Chancellor.

Why has it taken this government so many years to realise that ever lower taxes are the best way to maximise the finance available for public spending...?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Christ, you really are a twit. No wonder you're on here so much, I genuinely cannot imagine anyone wanting to listen to your ceaseless bullshit in real life.

Layaz Playaz.

predictable
still refusing to answer the question

you must be 1/10 for not answering the question when you reply to this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here