Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Removing a radiator

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Does anybody know if I can remove and cap off a radiator without it affecting the rest of the central heating circuit, please? I'm a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing . . .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Does anybody know if I can remove and cap off a radiator without it affecting the rest of the central heating circuit, please? I'm a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing . . .

If you are capping off the pipes then you have to drain the whole system. If you are just taking the rad down then turn both valves off.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26

If your a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing then please get someone who knows what there doing,could get messy and cause damage!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If your a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing then please get someone who knows what there doing,could get messy and cause damage!!

Exactly. Don't be fooled in thinking that the water going around your heating system is as clean and clear as the stuff you get from you kitchen tap!!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
You can remove a radiator by turning off valves etc. It doesn't affect the heating system - i.e the other radiators come on. My decorator does it all the time, if papering behind etc.

Either search on you tube and watch carefully, or if really unsure get a plumber to do it.

Jan 30, 2008
You can remove a radiator by turning off valves etc. It doesn't affect the heating system - i.e the other radiators come on. My decorator does it all the time, if papering behind etc.

Either search on you tube and watch carefully, or if really unsure get a plumber to do it.
yeah nothing worse than a leaky joint when you put it back
regards
DR

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Thanks everyone - I'm absolutely fine taking the radiator off and draining down the system, and I will be capping off the pipes. I'm just interested in whether it will have an effect on the circulation of the system because (in my mind) I've broken the connection. A quick scan online has some people saying central heating systems aren't quite as simple and it can be done . . . ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thanks everyone - I'm absolutely fine taking the radiator off and draining down the system, and I will be capping off the pipes. I'm just interested in whether it will have an effect on the circulation of the system because (in my mind) I've broken the connection. A quick scan online has some people saying central heating systems aren't quite as simple and it can be done . . . ?

It will be fine. If not you'll just have to call a plumber so nothing lost but your time (and your carpet if you spill gunk on it, and a ceiling if you really balls it up.

Jan 30, 2008
FERNOX ?
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here