Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Ward

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
Haven't you been posting at length about your 'foundations of a great' (and oh so valuable) squad?

Now we're to believe you're pleased you got spanked, so it 'doesn't paper over the cracks'?

Lovely stuff.

The cracks are the 3-4-3 system FDB is using, not the playing squad.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The cracks are the 3-4-3 system FDB is using, not the playing squad.

That proves Parrish is a Know Nothing Pillock, he hired Frank De Boer intstead of you, maybe your CV didnt arrive in time.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Obviously I couldn't care less but I don't understand the Palace strategy at all. They had a style of play that suited them with pace on the counter attack and scrapped that in favour of a "possession based game." That had them heading for the trapdoor so they brought Allardyce in to keep them up. Having then had to replace him they have opted for a manager who wants them to "play like Ajax" (rather than Inter I guess.) It just seems odd. Of course, if they turn into the pass masters of English football then all well and good. Seems unlikely though doesn't it.

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
Obviously I couldn't care less but I don't understand the Palace strategy at all. They had a style of play that suited them with pace on the counter attack and scrapped that in favour of a "possession based game." That had them heading for the trapdoor so they brought Allardyce in to keep them up. Having then had to replace him they have opted for a manager who wants them to "play like Ajax" (rather than Inter I guess.) It just seems odd. Of course, if they turn into the pass masters of English football then all well and good. Seems unlikely though doesn't it.

Couldn't agree more.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Those comments about not changing styles for the Liverpool game are also telling. Poyet was the same with his tippy-tappy brand of football. I loved watching us win with that style but Poyet's refusal to countenance a Plan B was clearly a case of egotistic stubbornness winning over pragmatism. I'm not sure that under Poyet we came back from an opposing side scoring first more than a handful of times.

It does seem surprising that there are top managers who are insistent on having their team playing one way and one way only. One would have thought that there should be some sort of adjustment depending on the opposition and possibly whether it's at home or away. What isn't surprising though is that the managers who refuse to budge are often the ones with the biggest egos.

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
Those comments about not changing styles for the Liverpool game are also telling. Poyet was the same with his tippy-tappy brand of football. I loved watching us win with that style but Poyet's refusal to countenance a Plan B was clearly a case of egotistic stubbornness winning over pragmatism. I'm not sure that under Poyet we came back from an opposing side scoring first more than a handful of times.

It does seem surprising that there are top managers who are insistent on having their team playing one way and one way only. One would have thought that there should be some sort of adjustment depending on the opposition and possibly whether it's at home or away. What isn't surprising though is that the managers who refuse to budge are often the ones with the biggest egos.

I agree with a lot of this. Saturday will be telling, if we try to pass Liverpool off the park we will be destroyed. I'm hoping FDB will instruct them to mix it up a bit more.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I wonder if he really thinks they played alright? I have a Hudds supporting mate who was at the game who thought very differently (except for RL-C who he was very impressed with.) I haven't seen many posts from Palace fans that would agree either (apparently the boos were very evident at 0-2 also.) Of course, we are only one game in.

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
I wonder if he really thinks they played alright? I have a Hudds supporting mate who was at the game who thought very differently (except for RL-C who he was very impressed with.) I haven't seen many posts from Palace fans that would agree either (apparently the boos were very evident at 0-2 also.) Of course, we are only one game in.

We had 3 clear cut chances but they also had 2 one-on-ones where last ditch defending saved us. It could have ended 5-3 to them.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
There was maybe a little of the unknown quantity in Hudds also. We saw how effective they can be last season and they have added a real goal threat in Mounie. I did suggest in another thread that Hudds might surprise a few teams early in the season especially, hopefully we can do similarly, particularly when we are at full strength and the likes of AK and our record signing are up to speed.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A bit like you were back in February? You lost 3-1, had 31% possession, 2 shots to there 23 and 2 corners to there 9. They smashed you with a far weaker team to the one they have now, having spent around £40 million this summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38753430
They beat us fair and square, but we beat them at home, anyway, surely even you can appreciate the difference between two established Championship teams facing off, as opposed to an established Premier League squad with a £30m striker getting embarrassed by a newly promoted team? Also, keep trotting out those stats, it really adds weight to your argument, especially considering we normally play counter attacking football (I'll give you a hint here, that normally means less possession), especially away from home. I shouldn't be surprised that you're trying to justify an absolute bumming at home from Huddersfield by pointing out we had little possession against MANCHESTER CITY.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here