Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex Brighton players being touted for 5+ Million in the Prem

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barnes is not a good player. It's as simple as that.
But highly paid managers, the best people in the world to judge, disagree with you. I'm not suggesting he's right for a top PL team, but I'm sure several of the lower teams would like to have him as an option.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Having a flick though the sports headlines and I see Newcastle are apparently interested in signing Ashley Barnes for a reported 6m. Multiple clubs after our former loane Chris Wood for between 15-20m.

The transfer market is now ludicrous, going to struggle to buy a decent number 9/10 for less than 10m by the looks of things :/

This new kiddie we just signed looks decent,and valued around 3mill

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Chris wood 15-20M?????
If at all true that's madness despite his best season
Ashley Barnes for 6M bargain - we should be bidding to get him back if it wasn't for a section of stupid Bton fans who don't rate him

I would love it if Newcastle bought Barnes. In my opinion the most over rated Albion player of all time. I would rather pay 15million for Wood who would probably score twice as many so the extra 10 million would be a bargain.

Just remember how the club dealt with Stephens' transfer request. Now think how 'cheaply' we sold Barnes for. Are you suggesting the top man at the club doesn't know what he is doing?

Fact: We went into the premier league without Barnes.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Ashley Barnes has spent the last six seasons in the top two leagues. In that time he has scored 38 league goals in total. In my opinion that's not enough. Trouble also follows on the pitch. Kicked a ref and was the major talking point one premier league weekend for one of his tackles.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Having a flick though the sports headlines and I see Newcastle are apparently interested in signing Ashley Barnes for a reported 6m. Multiple clubs after our former loane Chris Wood for between 15-20m.

The transfer market is now ludicrous, going to struggle to buy a decent number 9/10 for less than 10m by the looks of things :/

Oh yeah....

What do you know....

Albion have agreed a deal for German midfielder Pascal Gross from FC Ingolstadt 04.

The 25-year-old has agreed a four-year contract and will officially join when the transfer window re-opens for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

The sum received is a new club record for the German outfit.

Gross could be the man to fill the need for a No.10 identified by Chris Hughton in The Argus this week

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Hemed was our third choice striker this season. (rightly I think)

Comparing Barnes to Hemed in the championship games only gives us Barnes on 150 appearances and 29 goals. Hemed has 30 goals in only 73 appearances. If Barnes had been at the Albion this season he would have been 4th choice in my opinion.

Barnes is a good footballer compared to most people on the planet but his record proves that he is not a prolific striker in the top two divisions in this country. He is certainly not a winger or creative number 10 either (imo). I don't know why a Premiership team would spend £6 million on him. I would be surprised if it happens but I know very little about football.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A Leicester fan I know seems to think that the only reason they turned down the Sunderland deal was because at the time they were relegation rivals. If a club from Spain/Italy has came in for him then they would have let him go for around the 3m mark. Similar logic might push up his fee if we were to go in for him, but I think the most likely option is for Ulloa to return to Spain at a middle of the road La Liga club for about half of what Leicester paid for him.

I thought that Levante offered £3m for Ulloa but Leicester wanted £7m and only relegation rivals Sunderland were prepared to pay that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On the few times I spoke with him after he left for Burnley, he always said he'd love to come back one day. Kids and missus loved it down here. Top lad, Barnesy.

That's actually encouraging.........

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ashley Barnes has spent the last six seasons in the top two leagues. In that time he has scored 38 league goals in total. In my opinion that's not enough. Trouble also follows on the pitch. Kicked a ref and was the major talking point one premier league weekend for one of his tackles.

Was it this season or last season that he played against Manchester City and was man of the match, having the pundits on MOTD waxing lyrical about him?

There are two sides to every story.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would love it if Newcastle bought Barnes. In my opinion the most over rated Albion player of all time. I would rather pay 15million for Wood who would probably score twice as many so the extra 10 million would be a bargain.

Funny, as when Wood was here, he scored a decent amount of goals, but missed bucketloads too. Which is exactly what Barnes was known for.

The question is, do you go for a striker who scores you twenty goals but misses thirty chances, or one who gets ten chances and scores eight? The reason these guys miss plenty is because they have the knack of being in the right place at the right time, unlike somebody like Akpom, who is never in the right place to start with.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hemed is twice the player Barnes is, don't really get the love in tbh.

For me this post is absolutely criminal and I am surprised it hasn't been quoted before me.

Hemed isn't even close to being the player that Barnes is, and that's no criticism of Tomer just a fair reflection.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bearing in mind Tommy Elphick went to Villa for £3m, Cook must be at least £6m-£7m in the current market.

More than that I'd think. Though given that Bournemouth have to pay us a hefty sell on fee, the more the better.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
"Barnes to Newcastle for £6m" falls down on:

1. Newcastle will be expecting to buy players from Real Madrid, Barcelona and River Plate, not Burnley.
2. There is no way on earth Dyche would let Barnes leave for a figure like that, if at all.
3. If Barnes WERE available other clubs would outbid that figure in an instant.

"Wood to xxxx for £15m" is more plausible. Leeds would surely bite your hand off at that price. He's a decent Championship striker for sure, and maybe that is the going rate for such? He's 26 this year though, so it's £15m for the (limited) finished article - not a high price based on massive future potential. Very poor value, for me, but not unfeasible that someone may pay it.

Do yo really think he's worth more than £6m?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For me this post is absolutely criminal and I am surprised it hasn't been quoted before me.

Hemed isn't even close to being the player that Barnes is, and that's no criticism of Tomer just a fair reflection.
I suggest you look at games to goals ratio before you embarrass yourself further and keep it to Championship goals. Adding to that Hemed didn't start to many games this season and still wins hands down.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Oh how I have missed these threads on Barnes... apparently penalties don't count, he doesn't score enough as a striker and he has a bad temperament...

And the irony of irony is the biggest detractor of Baldock, is defending Barnes on this thread...

Barnes when he was with us did a specific role... same as he does for Burnley. That role is as a defensive forward, who won't get many goals, but will chip in with assists, and will defend from the front.

Similar to Baldock, who won't get many goals, but stretches defences and also defends from the front by closing defenders down, a slightly different way.

Barnes is probably a below average premier league player - but thats better than most of our players were for a couple of years... he would fetch 6m easily.

I'd have him back as a squad player for definite - maybe not for 6m though despite his worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here