Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] North Sentinel Island & An American Idiot

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone who has replied to this thread has either read the article fully or has an understanding of the Christianity of the Bible.

a) Why is he an idiot? His diary entries clearly illustrate that he was 100% aware of the risks of going to the island. Have we called astronauts idiots because the risk of a rocket blowing up en route to space is fairly high? Neither Chau nor his family are blaming anyone. The family clearly hold no malice to the islanders, in keeping with their son's wishes, and are working to free those who helped his son reach the island.

b) The New Testament after Jesus' life is full of accounts of his followers enduring persecution for trying to tell people about Jesus' resurrection. Rather than being simply content to "not impose his views on anyone" and live a cushy western life, Chau actually had the conviction of his beliefs to risk his life to bring what he believes is eternal life to others. It was his life to risk and at least he died for a cause he believed was worthy, whether you agree with it or not. Many who laugh at Chau for being an idiot will be currently drinking, smoking or eating their way to an early grave despite every warning under the sun being given to them. History may have a very different view on who the "idiots" were.

What's the weather like in cloud cuckoo land? :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I understand there's a certain language barrier. I think they've demonstrated 'no thanks' multiple times. Yet a Christian thought he knew better. They do what they've always done and it's worked well for their existence. Let's hope this exposure doesn't jeopardize them further.

Somebody was murdered here, have some compassion. Ironic the guy was a Christian, a few on here could learn a trick or two rather than find his death amusing or sneer as you have from the sidelines. Everyone lost someone in tragic circumstances? Do tell and then we can all have a right laugh at and judge them for their part in their own demise.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• thousand arrow scene.jpg
    thousand arrow scene.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 159

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I reckon that if you visit an island where you know the locals will kill you visit, yet you still visit, then you can't be that aggrieved if you get killed.

He wasn't murdered for his religious beliefs.

It’s less about that, more how a lot of commentators think it’s highly amusing and an excuse to deride Christianity. All rather unpleasant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What’s wrong with saying no thanks, please leave our island...? Why is his killing somehow justified because of his Christian beliefs? Some ugly comments on here. Indigenous or not, didn’t have to kill the bloke did they?

They were shouting at him to leave. He thought a more appropriate response was to throw a fish at them. They killed him. He's a ****ing idiot and he deserved what he got. Should have stayed home.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Indeed.

"The British colonial occupation of the Andaman Islands decimated the tribes living there, wiping out thousands of tribespeople, and only a fraction of the original population now survive. So the Sentinelese fear of outsiders is very understandable."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46286215
Here we go, it’s Britain’s fault, again, that something in 2018 is the way it is because of events centuries ago. How very predictable if not exactly the whole story, again.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They were shouting at him to leave. He thought a more appropriate response was to throw a fish at them. They killed him. Should have stayed home.

Amended your vitriol to make you appear more human.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He was an idiot. They were protecting themselves. I see it exactly the same as if he'd approached a Pride of lions. The bloke was a fool.

That better. Foolish perhaps, and there’s a big difference between Lions and Humans btw, but saying he deserved and emphasising this with profanities was unnecessary.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
B

Because killing someone is fundamentally against everyone’s. Please don’t argue the toss over this, disagreeing with this basic human principle puts you in a very small minority if not an asylum!!! Your choice...

Rubbish. This is a stone-age tribe, they aren't modern day humans. You are judging them by the standards of modern day humans. Who are you to say what is against their laws? You have absolutely no idea.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rubbish. This is a stone-age tribe, they aren't modern day humans. You are judging them by the standards of modern day humans. Who are you to say what is against their laws? You have absolutely no idea.

I agree with you 100%. But I will just say that modern man kills each other too. We may dress it up as an honourable thing and hand out medals to ones who kill the most but kill we do. As civilised as we like to think we are.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree with you 100%. But I will just say that modern man kills each other too. We may dress it up as an honourable thing and hand out medals to ones who kill the most but kill we do. As civilised as we like to think we are.

We're animals. It's only the last few thousand years or so that we decided it isn't OK to kill each other. For the vast majority of our evolutionary history we've been fine with killing each other, just like animals do. In fact, as you point out, we still are.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Stone age tribe, what a load of old tabloid shit. The effluent flowing out your keyboard is positively overwhelming. They get visits from medical teams and government officials every now and again, who arrive by helicopter. Plus interact with other tribes apparently. The only woolly mammoth here is you. But that's all besides the point, which is, this man's death in tragic circumstances because of his misguided beliefs shouldn't be a cause for celebration and anti-christian vitriol by you and quite a few others seemingly: that's a modern standard btw unless you're still dragging your knuckles which, I admit, you possibly still are....

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What makes me scratch my head is that they can all murder someone in cold blood - then be totally and absolutely off the hook. No Police investigation, no arrests, nothing. They just all bugger off back to the jungle for a knees up!

How long before someone in the US shoots their next door neighbour then claims they are Sentinelese (and that said neighbour started walking up their garden path talking about Jesus) so can't be prosecuted? :lolol:

*I am taking the p*ss before anyone bites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here