Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
We should have started with Locadia, Bissouma, Bernardo, Montoya and Andone to help balance things up by £50m or so.

They could have just started Yerry Mina in place of Zouma, to wipe out the total 'contribution' of those five!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I think the pundits have got it wrong. Kayal made the Albion challenge and both Dunk and Bong were slow to realise the danger.
Did you actually watch the analysis that highlighted Izquierdo? Pretty obvious that he made a gamble by stepping forward which didn't pay off and ultimately cost us. Had he been in position he would have dealt with the threat. Because he wasn't that left Dunk and Bong desperately trying to get to the space where they reasonably expected him to be... and they couldn't make it in time.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Did you actually watch the analysis that highlighted Izquierdo? Pretty obvious that he made a gamble by stepping forward which didn't pay off and ultimately cost us. Had he been in position he would have dealt with the threat. Because he wasn't that left Dunk and Bong desperately trying to get to the space where they reasonably expected him to be... and they couldn't make it in time.

Dunk and Bong were ball watching, or watching Kayal not Coleman. I don't know where Izzy fitted in at all ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You see I didn't get to as many away games last year where I think this style of play was utilised more regularly - at home I didn't think we sat as obviously deep last season as we are this season (or at least not for 85 minutes of every game as we seem to be at the moment), but can't comment on the away performances as I didn't go to enough. I went to 2 in total last season but saw all the home games, yet I've seen most of the away games this year as well as all of the home games. For me, our attitude away from home is creeping into our style and attitude at home too, and that's the biggest concern.

Until the home win over West Ham on 3rd February, there was three months of gloom and moaning about CH, which also resurfaced for 2 months after the Arsenal win. A typical argument was that Bmuff and Hudd have a good go each each match, some saying they'd prefer that over their perception of CH's football.

A couple of key things this season; we miss Gross, plus several opponents have gone mad spending £100m plus on quality, making those matches far harder than they would've been otherwise. West Ham, Fulham, Wolves and Everton have spent like there's no tomorrow. At the moment, our sensible money approach means that we're unable to match these clubs in midfield and creativity. CH has had to go about gaining points with a pragmatic approach.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As much as I admire CH for his achievements so far for the club this season is as boring as shit. Spurs was frustrating we lost anyway yet when we attacked them Knockaert almost scores 2 in as many minutes. Might just be me don’t think we recruited that well in the summer AJ don’t look like a 17m player Bissouma for £14m looks like we’ve been done a bit tbh. I might be completely wrong. This reluctance to sign a PL player is a bit baffling especially in the second season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As much as I admire CH for his achievements so far for the club this season is as boring as shit. Spurs was frustrating we lost anyway yet when we attacked them Knockaert almost scores 2 in as many minutes. Might just be me don’t think we recruited that well in the summer AJ don’t look like a 17m player Bissouma for £14m looks like we’ve been done a bit tbh. I might be completely wrong. This reluctance to sign a PL player is a bit baffling especially in the second season.

money is the reason.

Watford pay up to £100k a week in wages, West Ham £140k, Palace £170k, Bmuff £75k and Leicester £100k. WC star Lerma cost £25m, as did Madison.

Brighton reportedly pay £50k maximum and we don't spend £25m on a player.

Players and agents will always chase the money.

TB is trying to build the club in a different way, but almost inevitably we're outplayed in many PL matches.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

money is the reason.

Watford pay up to £100k a week in wages, West Ham £140k, Palace £170k, Bmuff £75k and Leicester £100k. WC star Lerma cost £25m, as did Madison.

TB is trying to build the club in a different way, but almost inevitably we're outplayed in many PL matches.
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] is mostly right here. The other thing to say is that we've mostly bought guys in their early to mid 20s. Bissouma is 22, Andone 25, Locadia 24, AJ 25 and Izquierdo 26. This allows us to either keep for a long time, sell on (hopefully either for a small profit or not much of a loss) or have a youthful Championship side if we go down. It does also mean that we lack leadership on the pitch at times IMO. I know we have Bruno but if you look at Sidwell, Rosenior and Hunemier who we've lost they were all guys with a lot of experience and a calming nature to add to the squad. I don't see that at the moment. I can see Dunk or Ryan growing in to that role but they're not there yet. I know it would cost a lot but I do feel that one experienced, preferably Briitish, Premier League player in late 20s or early 30s would be really useful as an addition to the squad. It's not our policy though.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Don't disagree with you on recruitment, but given I thought Martial was a waste of space both times we beat ManUtd (how many times have we said that in our history!?), he is suddenly looking a top quality player and it's taken him 2 seasons to settle in. Now we don't have that kind of time, but it might be a lot to ask 3 or 4 players completely new to this league to just fit in from the off.

Last season we did extremely well that Propper, Gross, Izqueirdo and Ryan all hit the ground running, it's not happened that way for Locadia, AJ, Bissouma, Andone, but we really have to be hopeful it does. There might have been a point you'd really panic that they haven't, but we are showing such resilience that with injuries and the signings not yet delivering, our position is not far off sensational in my opinion, even if beating ManUtd and picking up 3 other wins has been a bit boring for some. :whistle:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
money is the reason.

It also puts it into perspective that in our entire history, out of 14 matches, we've beaten Everton just twice. 1924 and 1981, both times at home. A lot of our fans want us to run before we can walk, are impatient and have some sort of entitlement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] is mostly right here. The other thing to say is that we've mostly bought guys in their early to mid 20s. Bissouma is 22, Andone 25, Locadia 24, AJ 25 and Izquierdo 26. This allows us to either keep for a long time, sell on (hopefully either for a small profit or not much of a loss) or have a youthful Championship side if we go down. It does also mean that we lack leadership on the pitch at times IMO. I know we have Bruno but if you look at Sidwell, Rosenior and Hunemier who we've lost they were all guys with a lot of experience and a calming nature to add to the squad. I don't see that at the moment. I can see Dunk or Ryan growing in to that role but they're not there yet. I know it would cost a lot but I do feel that one experienced, preferably Briitish, Premier League player in late 20s or early 30s would be really useful as an addition to the squad. It's not our policy though.

If we're going to run with this thread, I do wonder if the clubs focus is down too much towards 'moneyball'.

Obviously you when the wins are so massive, Groß and Ryan from the current squad, it must be difficult not to constantly chase the next one, but sometimes you need the finished article.

Had that complete player money been spent I believe the club would have been in the Premier League much soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

All of this. Not complaining about the club, but a good analysis of what we need to do next.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It also puts it into perspective that in our entire history, out of 14 matches, we've beaten Everton just twice. 1924 and 1981, both times at home. A lot of our fans want us to run before we can walk, are impatient and have some sort of entitlement.

I get the impression that most of us are patient, whilst always remembering the big picture - we're in the top flight for only the second short period in 117 years and the clubs at the bottom of the current PL table (plus Stoke, WBA, Villa, Massive, Leeds, Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland) would give anything to swap places with us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I get the impression that most of us are patient, whilst always remembering the big picture - we're in the top flight for only the second short period in 117 years and the clubs at the bottom of the current PL table (plus Stoke, WBA, Villa, Massive, Leeds, Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland) would give anything to swap places with us.

Yes, sorry. I should have said some of our fans, not a lot of our fans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't disagree with you on recruitment, but given I thought Martial was a waste of space both times we beat ManUtd (how many times have we said that in our history!?), he is suddenly looking a top quality player and it's taken him 2 seasons to settle in. Now we don't have that kind of time, but it might be a lot to ask 3 or 4 players completely new to this league to just fit in from the off.

Last season we did extremely well that Propper, Gross, Izqueirdo and Ryan all hit the ground running, it's not happened that way for Locadia, AJ, Bissouma, Andone, but we really have to be hopeful it does. There might have been a point you'd really panic that they haven't, but we are showing such resilience that with injuries and the signings not yet delivering, our position is not far off sensational in my opinion, even if beating ManUtd and picking up 3 other wins has been a bit boring for some. :whistle:

Martial was on fire in his first ManU season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If we're going to run with this thread, I do wonder if the clubs focus is down too much towards 'moneyball'.

Obviously you when the wins are so massive, Groß and Ryan from the current squad, it must be difficult not to constantly chase the next one, but sometimes you need the finished article.

Had that complete player money been spent I believe the club would have been in the Premier League much soon.

Groß is still the best pound for pound bargain we've ever signed and you're right about Ryan too. Yes, it must be tempting to carry on. And you could argue we've got Murray who is certainly PL class with bags of experience. But I don't see him guiding the way a Rosenior or Sidwell would, he's too isolated on the pitch and can fall out with teammates (particularly Knocky :lol: )

The problem with getting the complete package is who and how? They've got to be affordable, good at football, affordable, able to guide the new players, not a dickhead and affordable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here