Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have YOU visited "London’s answer to Manhattan"?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reminds me of a video I stumbled across on YouTube:

There's an awful lot that's troubling about that video, but I can't deal with any of that until I come to terms with the fact that I watched it all and 'enjoyed' it.

I think it channeled my inner Dectorists.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I couldn't believe that was true I thought you had photoshopped it so I had to google it, WOW

And then I saw the chocolates and bubbly option for £3

That's good value for £3! Choc oranges are usually £1.50 each and big bottle of fanta is at least £1.50 too.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
With a press release like that I'm sold - time to up sticks, leave Manhattan and move to Croydon

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can't wait for the remake of this film. They might need to tart the place up a bit first.

MI0001958552.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That's good value for £3! Choc oranges are usually £1.50 each and big bottle of fanta is at least £1.50 too.

I'm willing to bet there's superficial damage to the packaging of the Chocolate Oranges. They probably got them free.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Erm

Manhatten has

The UN building
Wall Street
5th Avenue
Grand Central
Time Square - OK this is tacky and would fit into Croydon with the naked ladies just with body paint on
Central Park
Extensive Subway system

to name just a few

Croydon has

An Ikea
Probably the highest use of Groupon in the UK
and erm, thats about it

Don't knock it, they do nice hot dogs. Don't like their speed bumps though.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well Manhattan doesn't have TRAMS, so there you go.

Though Lunar House has a similar function to Ellis Island, I suppose

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hopefully not bought from the Croydon Poundworld.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43389242

The hotel looks like the results of a task on The Apprentice.

Don't think the Poundworld has to be in Croydon to be totally shite! They spent months fitting out the old BHS store in Worthing. Then within a year they closed it for a week for another "refit". That involved taking away a fair amount of shelving and leaving large empty spaces. Now a significant amount of shelves are empty, half the lights at the back of the store don't work and they don't have sufficient staff on the tills.

A shopper's dream!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm never sure why advertisers can't just be honest.

"Cheap, fairly comfortable hotel that's within easy reach of Central London that's ideal for when you've had a skinful but don't want to pay exorbitant London hotel prices."

Or try the Travel Lodge in Balham ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reminds me of a video I stumbled across on YouTube:

FFS [MENTION=1933]Yoda[/MENTION] if we ever meet I'm going to kick your arse all the way round the AMEX.

When I woke up this morning I'd have wagered my life the one thing that wouldn't happen, today, was I'd get rabbitholed into a trainspotters Youtube channel.
In fact I'd have said it was more likely that I'd cease to exist than spend the day watching Geoff and his friends.

I can't believe it still took 48 seconds to walk the length of Little Kimble's platform.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big day today, with the grand re-opening of Croydon's easyHotel.

Why spend a fortune on flights to NYC, when "London’s answer to Manhattan" is just up the road, eh?! EH?

Here's the press release from a few weeks back...

easyHotel supports Croydon's facelift
easyHotel is making a significant investment to refurbish its super budget hotel in Croydon as part of the hotel’s contribution to the Borough’s ambitious plans to become London’s answer to downtown New York.

Croydon’s architecture has been lauded in recent years by the National Trust. New skyscrapers, currently going through the planning process, will add to Croydon’s growing skyline. The Borough is popular with businesses and cosmopolitan residents because it is well positioned for motorway routes and airports and enjoys easy access to Central London by train.

Comparisons between Croydon and Manhattan have been made by locals and planners for years, with many noting Croydon’s modernity, multi-culturalism and position at the confluence of many major transport links. East Croydon station, some say, has similar majesty to New York’s Grand Central station. From East Croydon, travellers can get direct trains to other exotic locations such as Crawley, Bognor Regis and Faygate.

The hotel, with its fittingly orange décor, is endeavouring to become the go-to landmark hotel in Croydon, but at a fraction of the cost of its transatlantic rival – and a substantially lower price than its local competitors. A suite at easyHotel in downtown Croydon costs a fiftieth of the cost of an overnight stay in a suite with a Central Park view at Trump Tower. easyHotel will offer a ‘fake view’ (an adhesive easyHotel Supports Croydon's Faceliftwindow view) of a key London landmark for an additional £1 per night.

Newly refurbished rooms are stylish and minimalist, with restrained luxury that includes premium mattresses and bedside integrated USB charging ports.

Croydon is the birthplace of a galaxy of stars, including Roy Hudd, Derren Brown, Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, Ronnie Corbett, Kate Moss and Roy Hodgson. The hotel hopes to roll out the Orange Carpet for celebrity guests in future.

Jorge Rodriguez, marketing manager at easyHotel, said: “When I first came to Britain I was attracted by the ‘bright lights and big city’ atmosphere in Croydon and I am delighted that we are refurbishing our local hotel, with its world-class affordability and zen luxury. The first refurbished rooms are now available for guests to try and by March 21st the whole hotel will be ready for a grand opening that will bring it in line with the other hotels in our growing national and international network.”

www.easyhotel.com

Christ. :facepalm::shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm never sure why advertisers can't just be honest.

"Cheap, fairly comfortable hotel that's within easy reach of Central London that's ideal for when you've had a skinful but don't want to pay exorbitant London hotel prices."

To be fair, its effing miles from central London.

Thankfully.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here