Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withnail & I

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Best dialogue of any film ever? It really is superb.

Withnail: Right, you ****er, I'm going to do the washing up!
Marwood: No, no, you can't. It's impossible, I swear it. I've looked into it. Listen to me, listen to me! There are things in there, there's a tea-bag growing! You haven't slept in sixty hours, you're in no state to tackle it. Wait till the morning, we'll go in together.
Withnail: This IS the morning. Stand aside!
Marwood: [holding him back] You don't understand. I think there may be something living in there, I think there may be something alive.
Withnail: What do you mean? a rat?
Marwood: It's possible, it's possible.
Withnail: Then the ****er will rue the day!

Withnail: I've some extremely distressing news.
Marwood: I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear anything. Oh God, it's a nightmare, I tell you, it's a nightmare.
Withnail: We just ran out of wine. What are we gonna do about it?
Marwood: I don't know, I don't know. Oh God, I don't feel good. My thumbs have gone weird! I'm in the middle of a bloody overdose! Oh God. My heart's beating like a ****ed clock! I feel dreadful, I feel really dreadful!
Withnail: So do I, so does everybody. Look at my tongue, it's wearing a yellow sock. Sit down for Christ's sake, what's the matter with you? Eat some sugar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've always felt Withnail and I was pretty overrated. It has its moments, but I don't quite get why its considered such a classic.

When it comes to dialogue in films, I don't think you can beat Tarantino. He has the confidence to repeatedly have loooong, drawn out scenes of dialogue in his films, but he can get away with it because its just so bloody well written.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Absolutely superb film, will never tire of watching it.

"MONTY YOU TERRIBLE C*NT"

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
one of my worst decisions ever was to select Withnail and I for family film night with my brother and parents when i was about 16.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's genius. I watched it in 1990, an unknown VHS from the local shop before it's cult rise and loved it. 200 watches later, I still love it.

Thank you George Harrison.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolute classic. Up there in my favourite five films of all time. And if you follow [MENTION=1675]Withnail[/MENTION]izer on twitter you get a 140 char or less quote from the film on the hour, every hour. Of course we all know that in real life the inventor of the Camberwell Carrot is a Brighton fan no?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Love this film intensely. We've gone on holiday by mistake. I've only had a few light ales. It is the most shattering experience of a young man's life when one morning he awakes and quite reasonably says to himself, "I will never play the Dane." I don't advise a haircut, man. Miss Blennerhassett, telephone the police. Get in the back of the van. And, of course, "Here, hare, here." Like The Big Lebowski, a film to be rewatched every couple of years until death.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've always felt Withnail and I was pretty overrated. It has its moments, but I don't quite get why its considered such a classic.

When it comes to dialogue in films, I don't think you can beat Tarantino. He has the confidence to repeatedly have loooong, drawn out scenes of dialogue in his films, but he can get away with it because its just so bloody well written.

For me W&I is just as good as the best of Tarantino, dialogue wise.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For me W&I is just as good as the best of Tarantino, dialogue wise.

Much of the Tarantino dialogue is filler, not really enhancing the character nor advancing the plot (Royale with cheese; the tipping scene).

Withnail and Marwood's dialogue is that which spoken, in slightly manic tones, is straight from two manic characters. It rounds out the characters in a way that the above Tarantino scenes don't.

... is what I reckon.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's genius. I watched it in 1990, an unknown VHS from the local shop before it's cult rise and loved it. 200 watches later, I still love it.

Thank you George Harrison.

Blimey, you've watched it more than me!

One of my all time favourites, infinately quotable, hilarious, smart and the ending gets me every time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Love this film intensely. We've gone on holiday by mistake. I've only had a few light ales. It is the most shattering experience of a young man's life when one morning he awakes and quite reasonably says to himself, "I will never play the Dane." I don't advise a haircut, man. Miss Blennerhassett, telephone the police. Get in the back of the van. And, of course, "Here, hare, here." Like The Big Lebowski, a film to be rewatched every couple of years until death.

Spot on with the Big Lebowski thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here