Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So what was the point in signing the Colombian bloke?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mid January before CH got the message that (March and) Knockaert have been outclassed and outpaced in the PL.

He has been very loyal, as our low scoring losing run drags on month after month.

Well if it drags on for another couple of months it could end our Premier League dream. I too think that Jose deserves a start. Some on here think that March had a good game today, l'm not sure l agree. Too often in the 2nd half in particular he looked far too lightweight, and unwilling to try to beat the full back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well if it drags on for another couple of months it could end our Premier League dream. I too think that Jose deserves a start. Some on here think that March had a good game today, l'm not sure l agree. Too often in the 2nd half in particular he looked far too lightweight, and unwilling to try to beat the full back.

I thought he had a decentish game but he is a luxury player who doesn’t seem to have the fire in his belly for a relegation fight. Too often when he lost the ball he looked pissed off and didn’t chase back to fight to get the ball back.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He scored some goals and every goal counts.

BTW,

cropandgreyscale

Which way are we on?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chasing a game and replace Gross with Kayal (not that he did anything wrong) instead of Izquierdo?... I did not understand that and I'm sure Izquierdo didn't either, that sub made us less attacking.

Still, even if he is pissed off, at least he's up for the fight and wants to help the team, unlike some.

Unlike who? Only slacker today was Duffy.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He , up until today was our most expensive player ever....and hughton's constantly gives him 7 to 10 minutes

What a waste of the poor blokes time.

He looked so pissed off today

I can see CH playing the same formation as today using Izquierdo and Locadia as the 2 up front.

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Waste of time for him 81 minutes he come on happening far too much, with 352 we need two fast wingers, he fitted the game exactly and once again wasted, and now we sign a new striker who’s injured will be lucky to get 90 minutes of footballl all season.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
There are two points, as follows:

1) so he can get the marching powder in on a night out.

2) so you could start pointless threads like this.

If you’re asking what the point was, you either do not understand football or you may need someone with a 7 years olds comprehension of football to rewatch all his performances this season and talk you through what’s going on.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I disagree. I thought Solly had one of his better games today & being forced to watch it at home, the commentators were praising his efforts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He , up until today was our most expensive player ever....and hughton's constantly gives him 7 to 10 minutes

What a waste of the poor blokes time.

He looked so pissed off today

He's started 10 games, which is hardly the odd 7 minutes at the end of a game

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have seen izquierdo play every home game and I have been very disappointed so far. I think he has been given enough of a chance, but he has not taken them. He had a really good game against Bournemouth, but has been poor since.

I would love him to be more consistent. I do not blame CH and still think he will be a good player for us once he has adapted to the way we play and the league.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’m going to dismiss your opinion as utter bollocks because:

A). Izquierdo started the previous two Premier League games
B). You don’t even know his name
C). You seem to be oblivious to the concepts of squad rotation and tactics in football

Fair enough..I don't know you either, so I will dismiss your opinion as quite preposterous bollocks too.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
March - 1,400 PL minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 big chance created (PL ŵebsite terminology).

Izquierdo - 850 PL minutes, 2 goals, 2 assists, 3 big chances created.

CH has shown great faith in Solly, with so very little pay back offensively.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Season to bed in, a full pre season and I suspect we will see a different player next season.

Just hope that’s in the Premier League.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I have seen izquierdo play every home game and I have been very disappointed so far. I think he has been given enough of a chance, but he has not taken them. He had a really good game against Bournemouth, but has been poor since.

I would love him to be more consistent. I do not blame CH and still think he will be a good player for us once he has adapted to the way we play and the league.

Exactly this. If Izqueirdo makes himself indispensable and does what CH asks of him he will start the majority of games. Do people not think CH would play him if he was going to win him the game? In spite of an excellent game against Bournemouth his miss that day may yet prove to be one of the defining moments of the season. I'm sure he will come good but it's a trait of all our wingers that it's the one who's left out that becomes the one everyone yearns for and then when that player starts they flatter to deceive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Against Bournemouth we played to win so José was played as an attacking player. That is the point, he is not a defender and most of the time he is on the pitch that is what he is asked to do. Total waste of a talented attacking player. He is a bad fit for Ch’s tactics most games and I imagine he might have been missold the club re the way he would be asked to play.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Against Bournemouth we played to win so José was played as an attacking player. That is the point, he is not a defender and most of the time he is on the pitch that is what he is asked to do. Total waste of a talented attacking player. He is a bad fit for Ch’s tactics most games and I imagine he might have been missold the club re the way he would be asked to play.

Rule 1 in football, when you don't have the ball you defend and these defensive duties are carried out by all 10 outfield players. We are playing in a league where we don't always have the majority of possession and thus spend far more time defending than attacking. We can't attack if we haven't got the ball. Because March is currently a more disciplined defender than Izquierdo he tends to spend more minutes on the pitch precisely because we see less of the ball as other teams are better at retaining possession than us as they often possess better players than us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here