Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Be honest - are you truly excited about today?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
C'mon fella's ...this is after all the Albion we are talking about, we are not glory hunters who only want to "sing when we are winning" - Barcelona we ain't , so why expect to be top of the league every year?
The comments about the costs are genuine, but that is football these days , blame it on Sky tv distorting the finances of our game...

Whatever happens today , Up the Albion!
:albion2:

We do only sing when we're winning but yes, no one could accuse us of being glory hunters!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not been to the AMEX for what seems like ages so yes very much looking forward to it. I shall be packing my half time snack shortly.

But more looking forward to Spurs away.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
My very first visit to the Amex and I could not be more excited about a football match...brimming with optimism also, 5-1 I reckon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can sympathise with (but not share) your downbeat mood but isn't PB pointing out the harsh financial realities of every club in the football league, certainly all those in the Championship, and not just us?

I know it's obvious but finance really has become the be all and end all. The Premiership has turned into a club, the wealthiest 4 or 6 or possibly 8 teams are permanent members who will never leave, the rest are just annual guests. Top teams buy up so many talented young players (Chelsea can afford to have have 22 players out on loan); Manchester United can afford to splurge £140M on a few players (after their owners take £40 profits out of the business); Arsenal can built a 60k seater stadium and pay for it in 5 years; Manchester City have the backing of billionnaires etc. that it's little wonder that the football world has become so distorted. The top teams employ many different professional at considersable cost to ensure their business model preserves and enhances the status quo. The knock-on effect to the lower leagues is inevitable. Unless we have a revolution similar to that in American football or hive off the top Premier League teams into an European super league or people stop watching football on Sky then things won't change.

Goodness me, I started to feel a bit down too; hey, it's match day! UTA! :ascarf:

Yes - to an extent - but he was also pointing out the unfairness of parachute payments and that we are one of a few clubs in this division not to get them. It is not a level playing field for us.

It's odd, I try to stay in touch with happenings at the club and appreciate how well run it is so it shouldn't be a surprise how much we lose but somehow PB's statement confirmed something I knew but chose not to believe.

That said my son is now back from training and changing from one Brighton shirt to another and apparently he is buzzing. Maybe it'll only take a win for me to come back on this thread and admit I was wrong :shrug:

Haven't been to the Amex since the Blackpool game and, although I had a decent evening out at Burton, I'm thinking of giving it a miss today for some gardening. I've a ticket for Hudds on Tuesday with hotel/pub and train all booked too; however, I'm more excited about visiting the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield en-route home on Wednesday than ether game.

Liked PB's succinct inputs over recent days but there's nothing much in these that hasn't been in the public domain previously. More surprised at the naivety of some posters tbh.

NODC

Apr 19, 2012
I'm excited, had to give my season ticket up this season so this will be my first game of the season.

Also it my daughters birthday Tuesday and it was her that said we should go to the football as a treat for her! Dead proud of her what a great choice

Just finished our matching blue and white loom band braclets!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And if we actually want to start scoring and winning games we will either have to buy even more of the stuff or move on two brand new players who appear not to interest Sami in the slightest
Those are not the only two ways we can score and win games. Either our strikers taking their chances, Stockdale making some saves, or the opposition keeper not having the Midas touch for day would also give us some wins.

I'm not particularly excited for today, because it's been too long without a win and the chances are we won't win today either, which is a but depressing. But I'm still looking forward to it, hopeful that we'll turn it around.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Yes - to an extent - but he was also pointing out the unfairness of parachute payments and that we are one of a few clubs in this division not to get them. It is not a level playing field for us.

It's odd, I try to stay in touch with happenings at the club and appreciate how well run it is so it shouldn't be a surprise how much we lose but somehow PB's statement confirmed something I knew but chose not to believe.

That said my son is now back from training and changing from one Brighton shirt to another and apparently he is buzzing. Maybe it'll only take a win for me to come back on this thread and admit I was wrong :shrug:

no comprende, following brighton is all about unending disappointment and frustration. It's part of the human condition. Read Kafka's 'The Trial' for an example of it or check this song by a group who are Palace fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIwJhG96JQ

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Yes I'm very excited but I sometimes wish I wasn't!!

I get the downbeat feeling about the hopelessness of the financial grip on football though.

We just need to tonk a good team and we'll remember the feeling again.....

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I just replied to a blog post on TSLR about the disappearance of amusing articles on the Albion in which I admitted I was neither reading nor writing Albion blogs at the moment because I'm just so damn ambivalent and m'eh about the club currently.

You may think the most depressing times on NSC are the transfer window binfests or when people (including me on one thread) argue about immigration, but for me it was the two Paul Barber threads this week.

Where we currently are - at least in my mind - is in a position where we play entertaining football in great facilities with owners and a board who are the envy of many other clubs. BUT - we are losing £1 million a month for the privilege with no real prospect of this changing in the near future. The fans are being asked to buy more of stuff that we know is overpriced just to maintain the status quo. And if we actually want to start scoring and winning games we will either have to buy even more of the stuff or move on two brand new players who appear not to interest Sami in the slightest (and I don't even mean Kemi).

Or in other words I awoke this morning not bouncing out of bed with excitement but thinking 'here we go again, another £40 spend on a 1-1 draw'.

You?
There are a few things which go into the mix. Love of the club. Love of watching football. The new stadium honeymoon. Results. Style of play. Competence of running the club. The economic climate. How reasonable the costs are. Goodwill v Being Taken for a Ride. I think raising the entrance fee seems a tad out of line with the mood and purse of the punter. I think the club would get away with it if they were winning and playing attractive football. if the club struggle on the pitch the punter will resent the price increase. Bleeding obvious? Apparently not to a lot of clubs.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Am looking forward to the game as missed last two home games due to holiday and then we had the international break.

However, in football your momentum is either upwards or downwards. We have had 4 or 5 years moving upwards and period has definitely ended.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't wait. We play good football and in an incredible stadium. Really couldn't have it much better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here