Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Obvious bands which you knew about, but passed you buy until later

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Got into Maiden when I was 12 so didn't miss out on them. [emoji6]

Vampire Weekend I thought were total shit when everyone was raving about them. Later stuff really excellent, old stuff, still shit.

Foals I thought were total shit when everyone was raving about them. Later stuff really excellent, old stuff, still shit.

I think the bands just got better instead of me missing out though. [emoji848]

However, that God awful turd of a band The 1975 still haven't released anything that doesn't make me want to murder all of them in a horrific manner. And that will not change. /RANT

More relevant, I missed out on Rilo Kiley until I got into Jenny Lewis's newer stuff and then found out that everything she's done is great.

Solo stuff, Johnny and Jenny, The Postal Service (Death Cab For Cutie was another great band who passed me by til recently)..... Love her.

Oh and Frazey Ford as recommended by [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] Amazing.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I suppose at lot of it depends on the scene that you are in to when you are growing up and what you perceive as cool.

I remember being more in the Blur camp and disliking Oasis when they first came out but can really appreciate them now.

Disliked 'the grungers' so Nirvana, Pearl Jam, stone temple pilots, soundgarden all passed me by until a few years later.

About a year ago I started listening to 'the cure' randomly on Deezer. At the time they were in their prime because I hated 'the goths' there is no way I would have given them a listen but they actually did some really good stuff.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Public Enemy - mainly thanks to The Last Leg on C4.

Earth Wind & Fire - bought tickets to A Love Supreme at Glynde this year because thought it would be a laugh, and did some catching up on EW&F beforehand...lovely stuff that largely passed me by way back when.

BTW - A Love Supreme was a great day on the Sunday...Mavis Staples, Steve Winwood, George Clinton, EW&F and then a boogie to Craig Charles’ funks and soul DJ set. Top stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This has been an interesting thread, and given me a few pointers for future listens.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
For the most part yes. I had heard New York I Love You well before but had palmed them off as being another Hot Chip (who I still don't get at all) and then a mate put on All My Friends and the floodgates opened.

It made me give Arcade Fire a shot (also missed them at Reading 2010 but more down to peer pressure to go and see Pendulum instead - TERRIBLE DECISION) and that was the real ocean of material that I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered.

And regarding Breaking Bad, I started watching it a couple of years after it finished, and in one long go (a latecomer to Netflix). Fantastic viewing but they should've stopped at the end of season 4.

Missed this post til now.

Not seeing Arcade Fire and seeing Pendulum instead. Ouch! That must still hurt now....

Me and the Mrs (then girlfriend) went to Leeds festival in 2004 and the one band I was determined to see was Arcade Fire (Funeral had recently come out and we both loved it). Fortunately we got to the tent they were playing in early enough as by the time they came on there were hundreds of people outside the tent, not able to see but just wanting to hear them. One of the best live sets I've ever seen.

Pendulum are dogshit. I love D&B and they are the worst, plastic, failed attempt at it.

I feel your pain.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Not seeing Arcade Fire and seeing Pendulum instead. Ouch! That must still hurt now....

Me and the Mrs (then girlfriend) went to Leeds festival in 2004 and the one band I was determined to see was Arcade Fire (Funeral had recently come out and we both loved it). Fortunately we got to the tent they were playing in early enough as by the time they came on there were hundreds of people outside the tent, not able to see but just wanting to hear them. One of the best live sets I've ever seen.

Pendulum are dogshit. I love D&B and they are the worst, plastic, failed attempt at it.

I feel your pain.

I saw AF at the Leadmill around that time and I agree they were superb.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the 80's I detested most US rock (and still do), so I completely turned off to it all.

Only opening up to this song, this year. What a talented vocalist.

By coincidence Steve Perry was interviewed on 5live one afternoon this week. A really humble, good bloke.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Because I was in my little bubble I am completely ashamed to say these two bands passed me by, and only through the persistence of the wife a few years ago, did I even listen to a full song by either band that I’m aware of.
The Pixes
Violent Femmes

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I feel your pain.

In hindsight, absolutely pains me. Also hurts that Pendulum were the lowlight of the weekend. However, I saw them on the Reflektor tour at Earls Court a few years ago, with a 17 year old Lorde supporting. Was absolutely blown away by both and got to hear Wake Up sung in front of a sold out crowd. So to some extent, made up for the misdeeds of my youth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here